Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #51

Just burry a 55 gal drum and drill holes in the top foot or so of the drum. When you backfill the drum, use gravel rocks 2" to allow for drainage. Worked for years.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghblue View Post
Just burry a 55 gal drum and drill holes in the top foot or so of the drum. When you backfill the drum, use gravel rocks 2" to allow for drainage. Worked for years.
Just be aware, this is illegal every place in this country. If the EPA on any level becomes aware of this the fines, well, most likely would not have your RV anymore. Use to be able to do many things, but the times they have changed, unfortunately.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I've been considering the SS as well. My only concern is all the extra water it puts into the process? I wonder if that might cause a problem?
I have done this, but, per advise of the septic folks I dump more often and less qty at a time. What you don't want to do is overfill the first stage and cause solids to flow into the second stage. It''s not necessarily how fast but how much over a relatively short period of time. A home toilet only flushes about a gallon and a half. A shower maybe 10 -5 gallons even a laundry is not all that much quantity of water.

If you have a 30 gallon tank, flush it when it gets a 1/4 to 1/5 full and just more often. I would also not pump your grey tank out at the same time. You have to allow time for the solids to participate out in stage one, before the water flows to stage 2 and beyond. You don't want to get solids in your drainage field, big $ at that point.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #54

Or if you go sell the property, an environmental study might have to be done and corrected so the next buyer can get a mortgage. I'm a business banker and we run into environmental situations for commercial properties on occasion, what a mess it can be.