Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Actually, no question a mh is in my future, but I have to break my wife in so she can be part of the decision process. She is from China, so this is all new to her, but she likes traveling with me in the U.S.

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Yes, they require you to sign up for their insurance which seems reasonable to me and the smart way to go.

I will be attempting to get a copy of the agreement shortly so I can read it. As you say, responsibility for in route repairs, cleanup etc. I need more info on, but so far my questions have been answered satisfactorily.

In their typical rental agreements, not to say they will be the same, they take care of all of that and I am renting for $1 a day, so I'm a renter.

As long as I can demonstrate it either was broken when I left and remained so, or it failed not due to my fault on the road, I'm not too concerned.

I have another advantage, that having worked for them as a service repairman for 3 months to get my hands on training, I know their products very well and what to look for and how to operate them and can talk shop with them.

I am also a RVIA Certified RV service technician, so having a badge I can flash and that pretty much changes the nature of all the discussion I get into and provides me access to the back shop area at a dealership.

A critical part will be a documented signed off PDI with a list of any problems I have found and take pictures with my camera if necessary.

Im thinking, as an option, of stopping at a local detailing shop to clean it up and get a receipt, BUT I do know from working at that same RV rental place they have their own detailers and I'm guessing they prefer to use their own detailers, so I just have to work out the expected end of drive costs that are reasonable on their end and to what extent I need to plan for that. I believe the deposit is $1,000 and I'm guessing I should assume about $150-300 or so to be taken out of that for their cleaning process.

I will probably sign up this week for the first part of March, so I have time to prepare.

Right, it is with an RV rental company. So, in effect, I'm really just another regular renter with benefits that is simply renting at a heavily reduced rate for the first trip in that RV to get it from the mfg to the RV rental location. When I return it, it will be turned over to a technician and learning crew to get ready for the next rental...just like all their rentals. I know because I took in quite a few of those new units after relocation.

I use to put any where from two to six of these rental units, old and new, back on the road every day for them, so I know their system. They are all entry level vacation units.

Oh, and one more note, I will do a PDI at the end with my camera.

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #13
Site Team

Not to throw a wrench in the plan but If I were plunking down my hard earned $$$$ on a new MH, I would not want the mattress to have been used by someone for several weeks or the rig to be lived in for that long.

Maybe that is the accepted method but not for me.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Not to throw a wrench in the plan but If I were plunking down my hard earned $$$$ on a new MH, I would not want the mattress to have been used by someone for several weeks or the rig to be lived in for that long.

Maybe that is the accepted method but not for me.
It's going to an RV rental agency, so they don't care if the mattress has been slept on. In a short time, a lot of strange butts will have dented the mattress.

It sounds like the RV rental place is being creative, and found way to to get their RVs delivered for free. Looks like a win-win situation to me, unless you consider the paid deliverers that are getting screwed.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:55 PM   #15
Site Team

Oh, I didn't read the last line of the first post.

My only comment is to each his own.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote