Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2019, 06:48 AM   #21

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Yes. On the Pinnacles, they mount an "Altitude" awning, which I think is a euphemism for "Thin as air", referring to the guage of metal they use in construction.

It was our newbie mistake. I came home late at night from work only to find that the awning would not retract. I was exhausted, checked the weather for no forecast of wind or rain so I said "friggit, get it in the morning". We had a typical coastal GA pop-up shower that night and lost the awning.

We reflexively replaced it with an identical model. Next time we can work the budget, we'll replace it with something that can withstand a modest (and well supervised) shower while we grill and hang out. I see a lot of them around us in the parks.
Well it definitely was a surprise as it had only been open a short time with light rain as I was transferring items into the trailer, and we hadn't even had the unit 24 hours !!!! Definitely a design flaw and a cheap awning. The 21 ft awning goes out over the dinette slide which makes it difficult to get a proper pitch on it. We did

Quote: Ever notice how "What the Hell" is always the right answer?
maejoicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by maejoicer View Post
Well it definitely was a surprise as it had only been open a short time with light rain as I was transferring items into the trailer, and we hadn't even had the unit 24 hours !!!! Definitely a design flaw and a cheap awning. The 21 ft awning goes out over the dinette slide which makes it difficult to get a proper pitch on it. We did
get it fixed, (thankfully Jayco cover the parts and repairs)and I haven't opened it since....worthless POS. I would eventually like to remove it and just add Door Awnings only, since all of our slides have toppers. If I need shade I will put up a portable pop-up outside.

Quote: Ever notice how "What the Hell" is always the right answer?
maejoicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:12 AM   #23

I've had an awning ripped off by a sudden wind gust, I had an awning arm bent by a quick pop up storm with wind. What I learned from that is to never go very far away with the awning out, and always retract it before going to bed. But, I always lower 1 side slightly when it's raining but not windy and storming and have never had a problem. I also have left the electric awning out during storms, if I had both sides of the awning anchored down, without any issues.

The only other problem I had with my awning was self inflicted. I left the little plastic pieces that you hang lights on in the awning slot after I rolled it up.It wasn't a problem at first, but after several times the plastic clips slid to one side. When I rolled it up one side wouldn't close all the way. I thought the arm was bent and put it in the shop for repairs. Fortunately, the shop owner was a friend of mine and advised me of my mistake without charging me. LOL
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:28 PM   #24

Reading about a lot of awning problems on this thread, enough to make me want to just leave mine retracted permanently! Seems like most mentioned are Carefree brand, but mine on my 2019 jayfeather is a Dometic. Any word on the quality and strength of those? I have only used it for a week or so, and found it easy to tilt down on one end so the rain can't pool. But my concern is wind. I'm used to the old style manual types with supporting arms that went down to the bottom of the rv. Those seemed robust enough.

How concerned should I be on this? Is the problems brand specific or more of a problem with all electric models?
eagle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #25

One answer said you “should” never have to roll up your awning at night. What one “should” have to do and what one should do are, in life, often two very different things. The problem isn’t that in theory the awning, gadget or whatever is supposed to withstand all kinds of conditions. Risking that it will, when caution suggests a simple way to avoid inviting the problem is up to the individual. We live in an area where very strong winds can appear in minutes so leaving our awning out whenever we aren’t there or asleep is just not wise. That’s the benefit of the electric awning, simple to extend and simple to roll up. Note to the poster who declared he will replace his electric when it self-destructs. You know it never will! There is a little gremlin in every mechanical contraption that hears our comments and declares, “I’ll fix him, I just won’t break!” I have a gadget I hate, but it simply won’t break and it’s too expensive to justify replacing if “it ain’t broke”.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #26

We are very paranoid about our awning and always bring it in at night. We often camp on lakefront sites here in Michigan which are prone to winds coming off the water. We've been on several trips where we haven't even used the awning. When we're out of the wind, we will tilt it and tie it down, but it always comes in at night or if the winds blow at more than a 3-4 mph. A service tech once told me that even if you have it tied down, that awning that's 17'x8' is like a big sail when it's extender. All it takes is one big gust to rip that awning from it"s hardware and you're looking at a $1500 repair (or insurance claim) and several weeks of not being able to use your trailer. Over the years, we've seen a few campers suffer ripped awnings and mangled hardware.
Rdubya44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #27

Awnings are on rv s so they can jack up the price.

Here in Kansas (Toto, Dorothy and lots of wind) we can only use our awning occasionally. Some years I think maybe up to 4 times a season. But the best rule is never leave it unattended. We pretty much never use it. Most of them are pretty poorly designed for anything other than the showroom floor. I think they are just a way to jack up the cost.
Prairiefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #28

herrmc, Yes, I have replaced Several of these inferior carefree awning pistons and or arms due to Inadequate manufacturing design. (I Believe). A couple customers have gotten replacement components from Carefree because they Vigorously complained. You might as well. You can remove the awning fabric from the side of the camper by removing the small screw in the end of the awning channel and opening the end of the channel with a flat blade screwdriver. Then you just slide the fabric out, As far as removing the rest of the hardware, Take it piece by piece. most appears to be junk. Take MANY pictures at different angles to bolster your case when you call your dealer and Carefree of Colorado. Word of caution! Be extra careful that the pistons on either end are not compressed as they will extend quickly and can cause injury. In other words again be careful and good luck. If you need another person in your corner, contact Trailer Life magazine (buy a copy of it) and towards the back is a forum where people can write in about their issue and TL will contact them on your behalf. Do this AFTER you exhaust other avenues first. Hope this helps and Good Luck!
Old 11-02-2019, 03:49 PM   #29

I would see if there is an on site RV tech and if not call insurance and see what they say. I know that Progressive would have it insured asap. So I would see what is what and then get it fixed at a site of your choosing. I know there are anti Camping World people out there but I love the one down the street. They fix everything right the first time. Might want to see what they say. Good luck.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:51 AM   #30

Awning

Even with replacement parts it may never close right again. If warranty doesn't cover it try for your insurance. I bent an awning by leaving the hand rail swing the wrong way when I closed it. I straighten the part but would never close tight. Be careful removing the old one, those springs have a lot of pressure even when expanded. Good luck.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote