Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #1

Big Hypothetical - Full Timing?

We have made one short "test trip" with our new TT and apparently the bug has bitten DW badly. She has been following a FB page that is mostly Full Timers, and she likes the idea. We have about 4-5 years till empty nest. I work offshore, so I'm not tied to my work at any particular location, just gotta make it to Louisiana or an airport every 3-4 weeks. She is an RN and says 5-18 week travel nursing contracts are pretty available. This would give us the ability to continue working, while still fully enjoying our empty nest, because she would still have 3-4 days a week off, and I have 3-4 weeks at a time off.

We have a small house out of town that is nearly paid for, so mortgage would be minimal, if any, and we would still have a home base. What questions should I be asking, and what preparations should we be making if this is something we want to do? 5th, or Motorhome (I know alot of opinions here)? We expect to be able to put about $100-120K into this adventure. Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, of course.

2011 Shelby GT500 (only thing it pulls is G's)
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited (DD's)
1995 F-150 short wheel base (Sold)
finally03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #2

Let the DW live in the cramped confines of an RV few more times BEFORE making a final decision.

A whole lot can happen in 4-5 years. And are you guaranteed of an empty nest? My sister didn't move out until she got married at 25.

One of my dreams is to live on the road too.

Would you REALLY need to keep the house? A box at a UPS store is a street address. Everything else is done electronically. Plenty of nationwide banks, Direct Deposit, ATMs....

$100K buys a whole lot of RV. But be careful of "bells and whistles". I spent under $15K for a complete 'portable house' that fits SWMBO and me rather nicely. It was built to the same standards with the same cabinetry and appliances as the luxury units. But without the granite countertops, wall-to-wall carpeting, slide outs, etc. that add weight and cost to an RV.

So, if DW is still willing and you are both in non-site specific work and the kids do find their own lives after graduation*.... Start planning now.

Otherwise, look into a reverse mortgage and the same view out the window every day.

--------------

*The couple I bought my first trailer from, gave their house to one of the daughters and her husband, then moved to a warmer climate. You could rent the house to the kids that are still living there after graduation and go live your lives on the road.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #3

Well, I'm a car nut (need a shop), and her mom needs some looking after financially. So, we will most likely always have a home base. I guess if the kids fail to launch, them and grandma can fight it out in a 3 BR 1000 sqft house. haha, that's the place out of town. The $100K would include TV, and she's eyeballing the King Ranch, so figure $60+ in truck. We've both had kids since our teens, and we're making the transition to spend money on us...haha. Selling our current home, and using the mortgage payment and finishing child support that is $60 per month less than my mortgage would free up 2x's my mortgage to put into our new home on wheels, and still leave us with the small place in the country.

Interested in this " I spent under $15K for a complete 'portable house' that fits SWMBO and me rather nicely." what is SWMBO by the way?
Old 10-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #4

What size 5th or Motor home is practical for full time. As far as the TV, does a SRW 1 ton cut it, or need the Dually? DW and I were leaning toward 5th, so she could use the TV to get back and forth to work while at location. She really doesn't want to drive a dually around.

Like the title says, big hypothetical here, but I'd rather take some time sorting and planning then making some of the errors we did with the first TT.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by finally03gt View Post
Interested in this " I spent under $15K for a complete 'portable house' that fits SWMBO and me rather nicely." what is SWMBO by the way?
She Who Must Be Obeyed

The current woman in my life was divorced years ago, her kids (and grandkids) are doing nicely, thank you.

I'm divorced over 10 years, the child support is over and only 12 payments left on the settlement.

So we are both in a position that we will not be marrying each other, even after 10 years together.

"Girlfriend" falls short and "Significant Other" has a homosexual connotation. Besides, she likes the title too.

-----------------

"Portable House" is an absolute euphemism for an RV. You can see in my signature the I own a Jayco 19RD; the smallest and cheapest of the hard-sided travel trailers. The MSRP for it was around $21K but we all know that's a joke. 30% off list is the normal final price.

The front queen-sized bed, complete (but cramped) kitchen, sitting area in the back and ~50gallon water tanks is the perfect fit for our extended weekend boondocking.

-----------

What RV is right for you guys? That's for you to decide. Truck & trailer? (5'r) Motor Home & toad?

As a fellow amateur mechanic, I'd stay away from a motor home since the coach builder often doesn't consider serviceability a priority. Wouldn't DW just love a oil change taking place in the living room?

And proud of it!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #6

In the living room, classic. We really are leaning toward the 5'r since the TV could be used as transportation and to pull my other trailers, like utility and car hauler. We will have a truck anyway is what I'm saying. So why not go big and use it to pull the 5'r rather than have another power train to care for? BUT, that being said, not sure it the motor home offers any specific advantages?

If we plan to spend 60-80% of our year in it, we want some creature comforts. We don't really want a bunk house, but the ability to have a loft and a pull out couch to accommodate a visiting grand baby and family is nice.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

The only advantage I know of for a motor home is access to the stuff while underway. (Keep in mind I prejudiced towards trailers)

That can be a great thing when you need a cool drink or snack while cruising down the interstate. And there is no possible way to leave your sunglasses in the trailer.

Looks like your needs are towards a 5'r. Especially if you are keeping a good solid TV for other uses.

We agree that being able to unhitch and drive around without the house is a good thing.

And proud of it!
Old 10-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #8

When we bought our MH we figured we would be in it 3/4 weeks at a time. Well that changed to 3/4 months when DW retired from teaching. The MH still worked, but the PINNACLE sure makes it a lot nicer.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:38 AM   #9

Roam Sweet Roam. love it! Well thanks for the input. I think we are leaning toward the 5'r. What are you guys pulling 35-40' 5'rs with?
Old 10-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #10

A dually is better suited for 5th's, especially one large enough for full timing in.

Walker is offline   Reply With Quote