Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #1

Campfire Cooking Help

Happy Thursday!

At the end of the camping season last year, my neighbors were a wonderful couple who showed me a very cool little tool. You insert two slices of buttered bread and some toppings, press it together, put it over the fire and KAPOW!... you have a feast of campfire deliciousness. Being a totally inexperienced campfire cooker, I thought this was a revolutionary cooking concept! Wow!!!

My camping neighbor surprised me by tracking me down at work and bringing me my own sandwich presser thingy-ma-bob. It was such a wonderful surprise. I was so delighted that I brought it to my workstation and showed all of my co-workers this innovate campfire cooking tool.

They responded probably the same way you are responding as you read this... that those thingy-ma-bobs are pretty basic campfire cooking stuff. Boy Scouts use them. They are in every camping isle of pretty much every store. Welll.... as I said, I'm pretty inexperienced.

So, as you can tell, cooking over the campfire is NOT my thing. More details: http://cuontheroad.net/what-not-to-do/

But I would like to get better. Any hints or suggestions to help me to improve my skills and results would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Chris (Roadster)

Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Happy Thursday!

At the end of the camping season last year, my neighbors were a wonderful couple who showed me a very cool little tool. You insert two slices of buttered bread and some toppings, press it together, put it over the fire and KAPOW!... you have a feast of campfire deliciousness. Being a totally inexperienced campfire cooker, I thought this was a revolutionary cooking concept! Wow!!!

My camping neighbor surprised me by tracking me down at work and bringing me my own sandwich presser thingy-ma-bob. It was such a wonderful surprise. I was so delighted that I brought it to my workstation and showed all of my co-workers this innovate campfire cooking tool.

They responded probably the same way you are responding as you read this... that those thingy-ma-bobs are pretty basic campfire cooking stuff. Boy Scouts use them. They are in every camping isle of pretty much every store. Welll.... as I said, I'm pretty inexperienced.

So, as you can tell, cooking over the campfire is NOT my thing. More details: http://cuontheroad.net/what-not-to-do/

But I would like to get better. Any hints or suggestions to help me to improve my skills and results would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Chris (Roadster)
Ours are 'Tonka Toasters'. We've been using them for MANY years. Guess that makes them (and me) 'vintage.'

Once, DW and I made cheese sandwiches in them, but I put in too much cheese. We called those 'Cheese Volcanoes' as the cheese spewed out everywhere.

Ah... good times.

oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #3

This is what I use just for the beach ( California and Oregon coast ) roasted oysters and shrimp this day with cheese and crackers and wash it down with a bottle of wine. Tunce is waiting for the cheese and crackers and yes I do have a steak for her but it takes up the whole grill.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #4

My wife makes this sauce and then freezes it in 4 portion size bags to use over say a grilled chicken and side pasta meal. We're gone for usually 2 months at a time so once every other week or if a camper shows up it's all gone!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #5

This is the basket I use for roasting vegetables in over an open fire and a butane burner we place on the picnic table for say rice or a sauce reduction.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 02-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #6

sounds like a pie iron to me...

E rated Michelin LTX M/S2s

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bansai
frieed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Ours are 'Tonka Toasters'. We've been using them for MANY years. Guess that makes them (and me) 'vintage.'

Once, DW and I made cheese sandwiches in them, but I put in too much cheese. We called those 'Cheese Volcanoes' as the cheese spewed out everywhere.

Ah... good times.
Mmmmmm..... Cheese Volcanoes! What's not to love? The nice neighbors told me about all of the good stuff I could put between the bread... pizza toppings, apple pie filling, sausage and eggs.... and yes, cheese!
Old 02-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
This is what I use just for the beach ( California and Oregon coast ) roasted oysters and shrimp this day with cheese and crackers and wash it down with a bottle of wine. Tunce is waiting for the cheese and crackers and yes I do have a steak for her but it takes up the whole grill.
Just trying to get a good look at it... is it a cooking grate that has legs?
Old 02-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
My wife makes this sauce and then freezes it in 4 portion size bags to use over say a grilled chicken and side pasta meal. We're gone for usually 2 months at a time so once every other week or if a camper shows up it's all gone!
Trunce, you and your wife are campfire cooking GuRu's!!! This looks yummy!
Old 02-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieed View Post
sounds like a pie iron to me...

A pie iron! That's what it is! A bit more descriptive than a sandwich presser thingy-ma-bob!