Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #1

Thumbs down Campground Host hall of Shame

Over the many years of camping mostly in State Parks and Federal Parks, I'd have to say that 99% of the hosts we have come in contact with have been very nice and helpful. Most were Hosts in every sense of the word; answering questions, getting someone to help with a problem at the site, and generally offering a friendly "Hello" when you passed their site. The other 1% have been all over the map, but definitely not friendly or nice. This last weekend while visiting a CG in the Gulf Islands Nat'l Sea Shore in Ocean Springs Miss', I ran into one that I want to nominate to the "Hall of Shame". At the end of a 650 mile trip for a family emergency, I was relaxed because I had prearranged an emergency site with the senior Ranger at the park. He was off the day I arrived so I was to check in with the host on arrival but go to the park office the next day to register. But Ms Host said not so fast, She didn't have my name on her list of arrivals and couldn't let me set up on the site. Even after explaining who I had spoken with and that he had confirmed that the site was being held for my use, she wasn't going to budge. Ended up driving a mile back to the office, where they confirmed my reservation and apologized for the difficulty. Thought that was the end and as I returned to the CG, I paused at the host site to show the temp site card I had been given. Having received a call from HQ she responded with a hand gesture to slow down as I pulled away. My wife arrived some time later and parked next to my site to unload. Before she could say more than hello, our not so friendly host arrived to announce she could not park there and would have to move her car. Ok we all have bad days and my nerves were a bit frazzeled so she moved her car without unloading and I went on getting set up. The next day after promptly going to the office and completing the registration process {$$], I again returned to the CG and was again greeted with the "slow down" gesture [7mph in a 5mph zone]. My truck idles at that speed so I had to drag the brake to maintain the posted speed. For the 3 days that we stayed I was greeted with a scowl or ignored all together when ever I passed and the evening before we left, I found out from the Ranger who I was friends with by then, that Ms Host had turned me in for speeding. We had a laugh and he said just to avoid a confrontation and that I wasn't the first to complain. Gladly I was informed that her stint at that park would be ending next month. Sorry folks she will pop up somewhere else soon.
I would describe this lady as the hall monitor at a youth correctional facility. Break a rule, even a little bit, and you were going to pay.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #2

Although this wasn't a state park, I may have you beat. And someone may come along and beat me out. We stayed at Custers Gulch RV Patk in South Dakota in 2015. THE WORST!!! Owners in my life I have ever experienced Rude, makes up the rules as they go and will throw you out of the campground without refund if you blink the wrong way. They definitely DO NOT belong in the hospitality business. I posted my review/experience here shortly after that visit. To be sure it wasn't us, we have even looked at reviews left on trip advisor about that place. All similar stories. They even have a blacklist if you have left a review with anything but 5 stars, they will remember you and make life difficult if you decide to return for a visit. We are all about following rules, but when you have to follow rules you don't know about, it's not fun.

It stinks when you have to deal with someone as you did. Makes for an unpleasant stay. You were dealing with a host, who the heck wants to endure a trip to a campground and expect to relax. I'm sorry you had to endure that. Thankfully you had a "friend" to back you up.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #3

Hosts for sure can have a difficult job and are typically volunteers who get free camping for doing "host" duties. In my recent experience the host was there to help late arrivals and to direct people to their sites. It is a small CG with 51 sites so directions are not difficult. The way I saw it, this host took her job way too seriously and saw rules enforcement a primary duty At this CG camper registration is often done at the park visitors center and the small registration shack is not occupied. The space where she parked was in front of that unoccupied shack and would not have been used until the following day. But rules must be enforced so the host walked across the loop to confront my wife. Could have let her off the hook if she had just said she would have to move as soon as she finished unloading.

Not everyone looking for free camping after retirement are cut out for that job. I wish the parks system/management would do a better job screening the people who volunteer for these jobs. In stead they tend to bounce around from one park to another or even from state to state. The ranger in my case pointed out that she was on her own when the ranger shack was not manned so she was the only one to keep on top of everything. True but this was not a spring break kind of CG. Mostly retired seniors who are inside with the lights out by 9pm.

We'll go back because we have family there and 1/2 price camping is pretty hard to turn down. New blood next time I hope.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:49 PM   #4

Women. Why can't they just stay in the kitchen.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #5

cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Women. Why can't they just stay in the kitchen.
Oh no you didn't !!!
herbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:14 AM   #7

You all need to read Nomadland to have a better understanding..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #8

I have no use for hosts in general and find most of them nosy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
You all need to read Nomadland to have a better understanding..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop
True but most are somewhere between sociable and work motivated. A few like the one I ran into last week seem to be motivated by power as if something was missing in their early working life or maybe just found that the host job released a hidden ocd and see their role at the CG as enforcing rules and regs to the letter of the law. Either way rather than being helpful and informative they become possessive and obsessive. While we have been told that there is a waiting list of people looking for host assignments, there doesn't seem to be a motivation to weed out Ms Host type people.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #10
Site Team

I have only met a few hosts who were taking out their personal problems on the campers. I have met a gob of them who are just regular good people living their lifestyle and enjoying it.

Some have saved me and other campers grief by getting in the middle of a disagreement and others just call the park ranger as they have been instructed to do.

One in particular was a group of "nomads" in a state park who would not leave their site at the appointed time even though the next person was wanting to check in.

She intervened and told them to move on cause their time was up. Common sense to some but this group had to be reminded. She told me that her job was not to do that but the ranger was a few miles away and she was not wanting to bother him.

Many just quietly do their job and make the place a better camping experience. The minute my wife retires and a few other things line up, I will be doing it for part of the year.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have only met a few hosts who were taking out their personal problems on the campers. I have met a gob of them who are just regular good people living their lifestyle and enjoying it.

Some have saved me and other campers grief by getting in the middle of a disagreement and others just call the park ranger as they have been instructed to do.

One in particular was a group of "nomads" in a state park who would not leave their site at the appointed time even though the next person was wanting to check in.

She intervened and told them to move on cause their time was up. Common sense to some but this group had to be reminded. She told me that her job was not to do that but the ranger was a few miles away and she was not wanting to bother him.

Many just quietly do their job and make the place a better camping experience. The minute my wife retires and a few other things line up, I will be doing it for part of the year.
Absolutely agree. By the time we have been in a CG for more than a day, the host typically knows our dogs by name and stops by to pet them each morning on their rounds. The hall of shame won't have a huge population but giving them their due helps get the frustration out of your system after bad experience.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #12

I've never had a nosy host. Thanks..great thanks to the one that at six am was roused out of bed yet cheerfully addressed a problem in the bathroom.. It entirely backed up and the water would not shut off..

Now as to a rude host.. yes there was a campground run by those power hungry in Ohio and we wont be back.. But we have collected some 140 campgrounds in the last year and the positives outweigh the bad apples.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #13

We don't have the experience some of you have, but I've always had good experiences with Camp Hosts. Most keep to themselves unless you're doing something wrong or you ask for help.
The closest we came to a PIA host was a couple years ago in Colorado. Taking a drive along the Cache la Pudre river, we pulled into a NFS campground to take a look around. We pulled into a vacant camp site on the river and sat there for a couple minutes then backed out and headed for the exit. On our way out, the host stopped us and made a big deal about my pulling in the vacant site. He wasn't a jerk, but seemed really bothered that I took up that real estate to two minutes.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #14

The internet does simplify things for us. If you have a candidate for the Hall of Shame, post a review of the campground on RV websites such as campgroundreviews.com, RVparky.com, GoodSamclub.com and even Trip Advisor.

Let us know where the jackasses are so we can avoid them. At least with whatever we, and other campers post, we can make educated decisions as to who gets our camping $$$.

On the positive side, if you found a campground that was outstanding or just pleasant, leave a positive review. I have gone as far to tell campground employees that I love to leave reviews online for campgrounds, sometimes on checking in or during the stay. If it is going to be a positive review, I try to tell the owners or employees as I depart. Once we have stopped for the night and have a few minutes, that is when I leave my reviews, while still fresh in my head.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Over the many years of camping mostly in State Parks and Federal Parks, I'd have to say that 99% of the hosts we have come in contact with have been very nice and helpful. Most were Hosts in every sense of the word; answering questions, getting someone to help with a problem at the site, and generally offering a friendly "Hello" when you passed their site. The other 1% have been all over the map, but definitely not friendly or nice. This last weekend while visiting a CG in the Gulf Islands Nat'l Sea Shore in Ocean Springs Miss', I ran into one that I want to nominate to the "Hall of Shame". At the end of a 650 mile trip for a family emergency, I was relaxed because I had prearranged an emergency site with the senior Ranger at the park. He was off the day I arrived so I was to check in with the host on arrival but go to the park office the next day to register. But Ms Host said not so fast, She didn't have my name on her list of arrivals and couldn't let me set up on the site. Even after explaining who I had spoken with and that he had confirmed that the site was being held for my use, she wasn't going to budge. Ended up driving a mile back to the office, where they confirmed my reservation and apologized for the difficulty. Thought that was the end and as I returned to the CG, I paused at the host site to show the temp site card I had been given. Having received a call from HQ she responded with a hand gesture to slow down as I pulled away. My wife arrived some time later and parked next to my site to unload. Before she could say more than hello, our not so friendly host arrived to announce she could not park there and would have to move her car. Ok we all have bad days and my nerves were a bit frazzeled so she moved her car without unloading and I went on getting set up. The next day after promptly going to the office and completing the registration process {$$], I again returned to the CG and was again greeted with the "slow down" gesture [7mph in a 5mph zone]. My truck idles at that speed so I had to drag the brake to maintain the posted speed. For the 3 days that we stayed I was greeted with a scowl or ignored all together when ever I passed and the evening before we left, I found out from the Ranger who I was friends with by then, that Ms Host had turned me in for speeding. We had a laugh and he said just to avoid a confrontation and that I wasn't the first to complain. Gladly I was informed that her stint at that park would be ending next month. Sorry folks she will pop up somewhere else soon.
I would describe this lady as the hall monitor at a youth correctional facility. Break a rule, even a little bit, and you were going to pay.
If your ranger friend did their job, the "this is my campground" volunteer host should be blackballed throughout the system. When I worked with NPS, we were supposed to issue a review of all hosts and recommendations. This one would have earned a "not qualified" rating which would have ended her free NPS site camping.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
If your ranger friend did their job, the "this is my campground" volunteer host should be blackballed throughout the system. When I worked with NPS, we were supposed to issue a review of all hosts and recommendations. This one would have earned a "not qualified" rating which would have ended her free NPS site camping.
Agree and that is why I had a calm talk with him the morning we pulled out. Hopefully she will get bumped down the list if not removed all together.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #17

Dealt with a very poor one years ago at a USFS campground. This one has a staffed office at the front entrance, I arrived at 745P (gate closes at 8) to find a dark gatehouse and open gate. Drove into campground and found a vacant site. Host A driving around on a golf cart was flagged down, told me they've had a problem with an employee leaving early, and to just go up and register the next morning after 8 AM and enjoy the evening.

Host B wakes me up knocking on the door, having driven a golf cart between my truck and camper at 745 AM, stating that I'm not on his "list" of guests and he can call the sheriff to have me arrested. I recounted the story of the night before, and he said it couldn't be true as he was up there "until 830" and I somehow drove through a locked gate and set up. Realizing this was going nowhere, I told him he might want to call the sheriff as I was going to whip his ass. He stated I was a "trespasser" and drove off in a huff.

After getting dressed, went to park office and spoke with the area manager, who apologized, didn't charge me for the previous night, and confirmed they have an employee who leaves early and it has been a persistent problem. He also mentioned that host had an attitude problem and I'm not the first to have noted it. That "host" was not back the next year when I went, and sometime later the whole place turned over in staff due to poor customer reviews.
jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #18

Sort of ironic that theres currently an active post titled "disgusting camping practices" Campground Hosts / Managers experience disgusting stuff 7 days a week. I can appreciate that their dream gig turned sour by the surprising high number of campers who suddenly become slobs / frat boys / sorority girds as soon as they reach the campground.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
The internet does simplify things for us. If you have a candidate for the Hall of Shame, post a review of the campground on RV websites such as campgroundreviews.com, RVparky.com, GoodSamclub.com and even Trip Advisor.

Let us know where the jackasses are so we can avoid them. At least with whatever we, and other campers post, we can make educated decisions as to who gets our camping $$$.

On the positive side, if you found a campground that was outstanding or just pleasant, leave a positive review. I have gone as far to tell campground employees that I love to leave reviews online for campgrounds, sometimes on checking in or during the stay. If it is going to be a positive review, I try to tell the owners or employees as I depart. Once we have stopped for the night and have a few minutes, that is when I leave my reviews, while still fresh in my head.

Murff
The only problem I see with this method is that great review you left about a good host will have moved on and now that CG has one of the bad ones. No system is perfect.
herbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post
Sort of ironic that theres currently an active post titled "disgusting camping practices" Campground Hosts / Managers experience disgusting stuff 7 days a week. I can appreciate that their dream gig turned sour by the surprising high number of campers who suddenly become slobs / frat boys / sorority girds as soon as they reach the campground.
No body said it would be easy, but frat boys and slobs seems a bit extreme. I have witnessed a few scenes like you describe over my years but most involved the 4th of July or Spring Break. As a whole, a very high % of the campers we see are seniors or folks with families. There are the occasional bad apples but that is why we have rangers around. Hosts are there to greet, help, and generally be a "host". When things go bad, its not their job to be the heavy.

In the case I mentioned, the host basically called me a liar even though I had the name of the head ranger who confirmed my reservation. Instead of offering a solution, she left me blocking the only road thru the CG while she madly tried to contact HQ. All this because they had not informed her of my scheduled arrival on the "emergency" site that morning. Instead of advising my wife where she should park her car after unloading, she stormed to the site announcing you can't park there. No help, no pull over there while I sort this out, and no "hosting" to welcome me after a long [700 mile] drive. Her husband never spoke and looked like a deer in the headlites when they toured the CG. Poor guy, he has to go with her when they move on next month.