Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

Did I just get a lemon?

We bought new 195RB in 2014, and have had endless troubles with it.

The very first trip out, the refrigerator failed; it was about 4 weeks before the dealer could get us in for service, then they had it for another 3-4 weeks tinkering before giving up and finally replacing it.

Then there have been multiple leaks in the fresh water system; one flooding so thoroughly that the subfloor fiberglass batting insulation was sodden. I was so put off with the poor service from the dealer that I elected to just repair it myself. Another leak was due to a cracked bathtub faucet. Another leak caused by the use of corrugated tubing - of the wrong size - being used to cobble together a connection between the fresh water tank and the exterior fill port.

Within two years, the kitchen counter top and dinette to had to be replaced because the particle board of which they were constructed began to swell and crumble along their edges.

The water pump check valve failed, and tonight (the night before we are schedule to spend a week camping) the water pump has failed altogether. I guess I'll be stopping for a new pump along the way, and spending our first afternoon of our vacation replacing it.

Last October while camping in NC (chilly!) the furnace wouldn't heat. I had to replace the sail switch.

The stock battery was shot in about 18 months.

And I could list a few more, but I think the point is made; poor materials, poor choice of materials, poor workmanship, and a dealer service department so poor that I haven't bothered to return.

And yet, so many of you seem to be so pleased with your Jaycos. Is it just my trailer? We're going to be upgrading in another 2-3 years and I have real strong reservations about putting my hard-earned money down on another Jayco (but whatever we buy, it certainly will be from another dealer!). Did I just get a lemon?
LuscombeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Sorry you had some issues with your TT. Appliances are made by other manufactures. If water pipe connections are crimped poorly yes you can blame the workmanship of the employees. Many people are happy with the Jayco product as it is just a better manufacturer (under their own management). There are people who still have their Jayco after 40 years of use. Demand is high means they want to move them faster through the manufacturing process. Some units will slip through the cracks and will have some issues. Good luck in the future for you.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #3

I believe many of us think that Jayco is well short of perfect, but offers the 'best bang for the buck.'

Before you buy, I suggest you check other brands. In the same price range, you're likely to find all brands have similar issues... unfortunately.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:38 AM   #4

Most of your issues are from 3rd party components that were not manufactured by Jayco. There has been a lot of consolidation of RV component manufacturers in the past 10 years. I think it has resulted in lower quality all around.

If your counter tops swelled, they got wet. Really wet. Did you have a coffee pot or something dump at one point?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #5

Your RV is now 6 years old (2020 models are out). From what you have said, the frig quit working and they replaced it. An RV does require constant maintenance over time. Connections can become loose just from normal movement of the RV. Things wear out and need replacement.. typically the dealers don't install the top of the line batteries ( Jayco does not supply batteries) so, having to replace the battery is not unusual. I wouldn't say you have any more or less issues than many RV's will experience.

Countertops will swell if subject to water, sometimes its because folks are "too clean". I've seen folks even scraping where the edging meets the deck of the countertop, this will lead to water being able to penetrate and cause the swelling.

As your RV ages, you can expect more maintenance to be required and yes, some items may need to be replaced.

Happy Camping.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuscombeFlyer View Post
We bought new 195RB in 2014, and have had endless troubles with it.

. . . .

so many of you seem to be so pleased with your Jaycos. Is it just my trailer? We're going to be upgrading in another 2-3 years and I have real strong reservations about putting my hard-earned money down on another Jayco (but whatever we buy, it certainly will be from another dealer!). Did I just get a lemon?
IMO, your experience is slightly below average. You're lucky in the sense all the problems you've had so far have been DIY fixable. At least you don't have any roof, wall, or frame issues---those are typically beyond the capability of most DIY'rs. Cross your fingers you don't experience these more serious issues, because not only does cost to fix become an issue, but simply finding a competent repair facility becomes a major hassle (even if it's still under the Jayco warranty).

As for the swelling particle board, we've always coated all the exposed edges of new particle board (especially underneath) on any new TT (even in our house) with clear silicone. This will significantly reduce swelling issues.

As for not buying another Jayco, you do have that choice. Yes, you could purchase another brand and have better luck. The better luck wouldn't be based on the fact that particular manufacturer builds them any better than Jayco per se, it would simply be a case of pure luck. You can get lucky or unlucky with any brand of stick-built TT, Jayco or otherwise. Bottom line, there is NO consistent quality control in the stick-built TT industry.

Yes, there seems to be a lot of satisfied owners here on JOG; however, keep in mind it's human nature to hang around a while . . . when you're sharing positive energy. You'll find all the unhappy owners of any brand disappear from these owner's groups rather quickly.

Good luck!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #7

I agree with @CampNow, probably slightly above average but in no way an outlier.

I know that after 6 years, you think "I've only lived in it for maybe 18-20 weeks" (average summer weekend warrior). But think about how much maintenance you would have done after 6 years in your sticks and bricks home. The stuff in the TT is still aging whether you use it or not. In fact it is subject to more extreme conditions than your sticks and bricks. I think of my home washing machine (Maytag) at 5 years old has had 2 repairs already. They don't build 'em like they used to.

My TT is a constant source of handyman jobs. Luckily I enjoy the problem solving and attempting to make it better with every repair I make.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote