Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2018, 02:26 PM   #1

Factory Coverage

Start out with I have a 2014 RBS White Hawk and today, this morning before lava like temps kicked in, I was swapping out TT marker lights with LED lights. Found one of the marker lights, LH front upper, top of the marker light had none to very little sealant applied to it to seal the marker light to the body of the TT. I found it was indeed leaking into the cap and was visibly wet and discolored. From inside the camper no visible damage, so I installed the LED light and goobed it up with the sealant recommend by the local Jayco dealer.

Now to my question had I not found this and the leak had continued and led to further damage to the cap and inside wall and being an obvious factory defect would Jayco step up and take responsibility and or since I am outside of warranty to bad, so sad?

Personally I'm going with option 2, to bad, so sad. Hey sale you a new TT!
I would like to think Jayco would step up and take responsibility but really doubt it and glad I don't have to find out. Since damage is not bad, no pictures so moving on. Just throwing this out here for discussion.
TheB2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB2B View Post
. . . had I not found this and the leak had continued and led to further damage to the cap and inside wall and being an obvious factory defect would Jayco step up and take responsibility and or since I am outside of warranty to bad, so sad? . . .
Most manufacturers have warnings (stickers and verbage in the owner's manual) about checking exterior and roof seams every few months as part of normal user maintenance. Many times manufacturers will refuse to repair significant water damage (even if the warranty is still active) based on a lack of proper maintenance. You could argue the point, but they would claim the damage would not have occurred in the first place if the periodic exterior and roof seam maintenance had been done properly and on time as instructed.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #3

As CampNow said, owner's manual says it's your job to check seams and caulking twice a year. Any damage would be on your dime.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #4

Even if you have a weather leak which causes damage during the two year warranty, damage caused by weather water leaks are going to be the owner's responsibility. I have heard that if the damage occurs within 2 months Jayco may fix it for free. But the bottom line seems to be that if weather water leaks cause damage, whether or not it is caused by the manufacturer's incompetent build or design, it will be at at the owner's cost to get it fixed.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #5

[QUOTE]Most manufacturers have warnings (stickers and verbage in the owner's manual) about checking exterior and roof seams every few months as part of normal user maintenance. [QUOTE]

I just have a hard time with businesses putting the responsibility on to the customer for their gross incompetence, no matter the reason. So the customer is responsible to inspect their assembly work and if the customer doesn't find their gross assembly incompetence that they should of found both during manufacturing and inspection the customer is responsible for it. WOW! no wonder so many of their customers are so pissed off at this industry. going to put on my QA Managers hat again and again state that if the industry actually designed manufacturing process that removed reasons for creating errors in the first place this conversation would not be taking place and warnings about the customer must be responsible for final inspection would not be needed. Who here has purchased a vehicle and needed to give it a fine tooth comb inspection to make sure it was properly assembled?

Then add in lead time to fix the defect had it been found prior to the warranty running out, I'm in no hurry to run out and buy another TT.
TheB2B is offline   Reply With Quote