Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
I have a FLIR C2 thermo imaging camera, it gives me a full thermo image and temp reading...I use it for home and work to detect heat loss, plumbing leaks, electrical panel hot spots and HVAC. I can even find animals and people in the dark...great for cheating playing hide and go seek with my grandkids...lol. It is small enough to stick in my pocket. Not a cheap tool, but it has saved me a lot of time and effort when I am diagnosing problems.
I'm borrowing one from a coworker. It is awesome. Wish my tt was home, to try it on the wheels. Another cool feature, you can see water leaks.

Another just for fun, is looking at footprints where some has been.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

Even internal vs external TPMS differ by 20F to 30F as seen HERE
Very true... That is why our TPMS sensors are mounted directly on short length Stainless Stems, so they transfer the heat from the Rim/Tire as quickly as possible. Since the hubs/Drums/Driveline is bolted directly to the rim, heat transfer also happens. While TPMS is not measuring the tire tread temperature with stem mounted sensors, this is still very effective and better than stopping every hour on the road to check your tire temp/pressure. We get an accurate reading - we even see a change in tire temperature when that side of the vehicle is in the sun vs shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levinehikeski View Post
TPMS don’t tell you the temp of the hub or the brake drum though, right? If so how? I didn’t think they did/do.
Not the exact temperature of the brakes... but it does detect the rise in temperature when the trailer brakes are being used a lot - the TPMS reports the temperature of our valve-stem that is bolted to the rim that is bolted to the drum of the trailer brakes. The heat Transfer is significant that the TMPS tells us we have hot brakes. (Use Steel Stems)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkies View Post
If the hub or brake drum is heating up abnormally, it will heat the entire structure (spindle, bearings, hub, wheel, and tire). You'll see it on your TPMS as one tire will be warmer than all the others. That's when you use the temperature gun to determine the source of the hot spot.
All about "EARLY DETECTION" btw... was that a reminder to get your prostate exam/mammogram this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I use my TPMS, it also gives temps. of the tires!
... and while you are on the road...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I use a Etekcity Lasergrip 1080 Diital Laser Infrared gun, works great!

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase.../dp/B00DMI632G

Bob
Same here. It's good for a lot of things including entertainment. Use it as needed for tires, hubs, drums.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #24

Yep same one we have and every time we stop I check the tires, hubs/drums. HF coupon payed 14.95. Pretty accurate.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgiebill View Post
Anyone using one of those heat guns to check the temperature of your tires and will it check drums?
Yes, I usea GENERAL brand to check tires, brakes and Refrig/ Freeezer
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
We bought one from HF a few years ago. It lives in the driver's door pocket, and when we stop, I check the hubs. There's quite a few of them that look alike, with different price ranges. It's similar to this one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/121-in...ter-63985.html
I do the same. Purchased at Harbor Freight and keep it in the door pocket of my truck. When I stop, I do a quick walk around checking the hub temperatures.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:58 AM   #27

I bought a cheap one at Harbor Freight and have used it what seems like 10-years and it still works perfect.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:47 AM   #28

I've been meaning to pick up one of these guns too. Has anyone used one to check propane levels? How accurate are they for this purpose?

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquez Kid View Post
I've been meaning to pick up one of these guns too. Has anyone used one to check propane levels? How accurate are they for this purpose?
Never thought of using it for that purpose. I'm going outside in a few hours and give it a try.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Thought of it last summer, but never got around to it. Seems like it would work well. Thanks for the reminder! : )
Old 02-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #31

I use the ETEKCITY Infrared Thermometer from Amazon, it was about $25 and is pretty accurate as compared to an old mercury thermometer. It shows a diagram on the side of the gun that 14.17 in is the optimum distance to measure the item, but it seems to work at much longer distances. Uses (1) 9 volt battery and last quite a while. I bought it in 2018 and have checked several things with it, even the temperature of the swimming pool water and air condition ducts, along with tires and anything else on the RV that could be hot or cold.
Temperature range -58 degrees F - 1382 degrees F
JPKendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:23 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPKendall View Post
I use the ETEKCITY Infrared Thermometer from Amazon, it was about $25 and is pretty accurate as compared to an old mercury thermometer. It shows a diagram on the side of the gun that 14.17 in is the optimum distance to measure the item, but it seems to work at much longer distances. Uses (1) 9 volt battery and last quite a while. I bought it in 2018 and have checked several things with it, even the temperature of the swimming pool water and air condition ducts, along with tires and anything else on the RV that could be hot or cold.
Temperature range -58 degrees F - 1382 degrees F
That's the one I have. Seems to work well although after two years the battery is dead - need to hunt for a 9V. I'd certainly buy this thermometer again; it's been really handy, rugged, and apparently accurate.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #33

Heat Temperature Gun

Quote:
Great idea if it works, never heard of someone doing this.
JPKendall is offline   Reply With Quote