Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #1

How to contain the excitement?

4 months ago we started planning our annual summer trip. This is the FIRST TIME we have ever had each day planned out and reserved and doing short bursts, no more than 250 miles a day. There are times we have covered almost 400 miles a couple days in our trip.

I am really excited and can't wait. One week exactly until we leave and I am stuck here at work trying to think of things to see and do on the way and what we are going to be eating. Just got into cast iron cooking recently and want to do some campfire cooking... That's a first for me and hope that there aren't any burn bans where we are going. I know most places still allow camp fires and we have our propane fire but that just isn't the same...

How do you deal with the pre-vacation excitement?
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
How do you deal with the pre-vacation excitement?
Pack and repack

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Pack and repack

Yeah, I guess that'll end the excitement quick. LOL
Old 06-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #4

Embrace it!! I'm actually doing the SAME THING right now!! And all I have coming up is a routine trip to the coast!! I don't sleep for days before our regular weekend getaways, weeks or months for our longer excursions!!

Let the excitement take you in and swim in it!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Embrace it!! I'm actually doing the SAME THING right now!! And all I have coming up is a routine trip to the coast!! I don't sleep for days before our regular weekend getaways, weeks or months for our longer excursions!!

Let the excitement take you in and swim in it!!

Now what I think is funny is that you can't wait to get to the coast. Being that I live on the coast, I can't wait to get inland! LOL!
Old 06-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #6

If you aren't starting out this weekend camp out in the driveway for a night and a full day of meals, showers, etc. Reminds you of all the "stuff" you forgot to pack.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
If you aren't starting out this weekend camp out in the driveway for a night and a full day of meals, showers, etc. Reminds you of all the "stuff" you forgot to pack.

Pretty good idea! We do have our trailer fully stocked with just about everything we need but there is always that one thing that's forgotten. We'll camp out there this weekend and see if this helps a bit with getting the excitement down.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I keep trying to explain this to DW. She always dreams about moving to the "fabulous" places we visit. I keep trying to tell her that if we LIVE there, it's not special any more, it's just home. And when you live there, you tend to notice all the imperfections and irregularities that you don't see when you're just visiting.

I say let it stay special!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I keep trying to explain this to DW. She always dreams about moving to the "fabulous" places we visit. I keep trying to tell her that if we LIVE there, it's not special any more, it's just home. And when you live there, you tend to notice all the imperfections and irregularities that you don't see when you're just visiting.

I say let it stay special!

I hear you on that! However, I would honestly love to get out of Washington State. I've lived in OK, TX, MS for a while and while there isn't much as far as scenery in those states, the people are MUCH nicer than around here. Washingtonians are stuck up snobs, getting taxed to death (literally) and have zero freedoms anymore. Crime and homelessness are extreme, etc... I miss the mid-west and I can safely say that I would rather live inland and visit the coasts, just as you do.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #10

Neo1130
We are just completing a cross country trip that’s taken two and a half months and the best advice I can give you is slow down and enjoy the beauty.
We have crossed many times in Diesel pushers and this is our first in our Greyhawk. I agree with you on the Midwest comment as we just left Thackerville, Ok this am and are now in Longview, Tx. We like to stay on the secondary roads as much as possible to see the smaller towns along the way.
Hopefully you will meet other Jayco owners as we did and share a few stories and maybe even a good meal.
We met SloPoke in Weatherford, Ok heading west and then Gprapim in Kingman, Az. I also met a Seneca owner in Bakersfield, Ca in a Camping World Store.
Anything you forget you can purchase along the way. I visit Walmart and Home Depot a lot.
We are back in the heat and humidity of the south and not looking forward to getting home to the Florida Gulfcoast.
Enjoy your travel experience. As Willie Nelson sings On the Rosd Again. Jimmyd
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
As Willie Nelson sings On the Road Again. Jimmyd

Hahah, that reminds me... EVERY time we have the trailer attached and hit the road for the day, the kids and I start singing this song, albeit very badly but it's been a tradition for the past 3-4 years of road trips. Without fail, every time...
Old 06-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #12

Well, D day is here. Going to a few places from between WA state and Yellowstone. I'll wave to any Jayco's I see on the road! Leaving tonight and getting a head start so we don't have to deal with the Friday traffic on I-5.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #13

Neo 11:30
You've got me excited for your trip awesome! I hope you have a great time!!
timnsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:57 AM   #14

Thanks! Been doing this almost 7 years now and it's the best one yet. Even broke down and decided to join the Blackstone griddle bandwagon midway through our trip. I've been missing out for sure!
Old 07-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Neo1130
We are just completing a cross country trip that’s taken two and a half months and the best advice I can give you is slow down and enjoy the beauty.
We have crossed many times in Diesel pushers and this is our first in our Greyhawk. I agree with you on the Midwest comment as we just left Thackerville, Ok this am and are now in Longview, Tx. We like to stay on the secondary roads as much as possible to see the smaller towns along the way.
Hopefully you will meet other Jayco owners as we did and share a few stories and maybe even a good meal.
We met SloPoke in Weatherford, Ok heading west and then Gprapim in Kingman, Az. I also met a Seneca owner in Bakersfield, Ca in a Camping World Store.
Anything you forget you can purchase along the way. I visit Walmart and Home Depot a lot.
We are back in the heat and humidity of the south and not looking forward to getting home to the Florida Gulfcoast.
Enjoy your travel experience. As Willie Nelson sings On the Rosd Again. Jimmyd

Amen to the slow down part. We just finished a 5 week trip to the SW did all of the national parks with a number of side trips e.g. meteor crater, Boulder Dam, Lost Wages, the"corner" in Winslow AZ Carlsbad Caverns and a few others. I had almost every day planned in advance and all of our campgrounds reserved in well in advance (RV trip wizard is fantastic). I drove the family like rented mules. They said on their FB accounts that I was trying to kill them with all the hiking and moving. Huge lesson learned-SLOW DOWN- Build in rest days at each stop. IF it takes a week or 2 longer to complete your trip; so what. That is if you're like me; retired. On our next adventure to the northern national parks, I may double the trip time. All that said we had a blast. It was on my bucket list for many years, I can't cross it off though, we had too much fun. we'll be back.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote