Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2024, 05:26 PM   #1

How to deal with Oxidation Real Easy

My rear window crank broke this fall so i temporary had to use duct tape to hold down the window until i could permanently fix. Today i did the 5 min fix and had a lot of tape residue to clean off the exterior. Tried soap and water, that didn't phase it. Got some GlueGone out and it easialy cleaned up the tape residue mess.. But guess what,, i also discovred that GlueGone strips away that dreaded Oxidation with Ez, and i mean with Ezzz. I have a 36 footer and i stripped away one side within an hour and half. Going to hit it with a coat of wax tomorrow. It actually looks better than my buffer job does. I hope you guys try it, it really works!
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 07:30 PM   #2

Your post says "Gluegone". Did you mean to say "Goo Gone"? Did you use this on a fiberglass sided trailer to remove oxidation? If so, I may have to give this a try. I spend hours sometimes dealing with the light oxidation on my '12 Eagle.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Your post says "Gluegone". Did you mean to say "Goo Gone"? Did you use this on a fiberglass sided trailer to remove oxidation? If so, I may have to give this a try. I spend hours sometimes dealing with the light oxidation on my '12 Eagle.
Yes, I did mean GooGone. A little goes a long way. I got about half of one side waxed.. Can’t believe the effort that stuff saves. You try it, you’ll be shocked….
Old 04-04-2024, 11:07 AM   #4

Did you use goo gone on the decals as well? My decals and the fiberglass are faded badly on 2020 FBTS in Florida. If so what were your results? I’m thinking if the fiberglass was inadequate than the decals would like different, but both are faded so I am hoping both will come back. It’s a lot of work and I don’t mind doing it, just want to use the right stuff. What polish did you use after goo gone? Thanks
August43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by August43 View Post
Did you use goo gone on the decals as well? My decals and the fiberglass are faded badly on 2020 FBTS in Florida. If so what were your results? I’m thinking if the fiberglass was inadequate than the decals would like different, but both are faded so I am hoping both will come back. It’s a lot of work and I don’t mind doing it, just want to use the right stuff. What polish did you use after goo gone? Thanks
yes, i used it over the decals and it did clean them up.. Goo Gone cleans up the oxidation very well on the fiberglass.. Just make sure to apply a sealer wax after cleaning with the Goo Gone. And don't apply the sealer in the sun. If your wax sealer does bake in from the sun, another swipe with the GooGone will clean that up as well. I get the Goo Gone in Spray bottles from Home Depot. much easier to apply and a little goes a long way.. if you are skeptable try it in a small area first.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:45 AM   #6

Ok thank you. Did you apply wax over decals too? What wax did you use? I have looking at this forum and other places and there’s all kinds of opinions on the fading issue. Most say it cleans up but comes right back in a short time. Hopefully this will hold up
Old 04-04-2024, 11:58 AM   #7

I also forgot to ask you. I went on Home Depot site and there are several googone products there. Which one did you use?
Old 04-04-2024, 12:14 PM   #8

I use this (10 years now) every other year on the trailer and decals. Then Mother’s Pure Brazilian Carnauba wax
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3947.jpg  
Old 04-04-2024, 12:22 PM   #9

Is that product available on Amazon? Did you do either step with a buffer or by hand?
Old 04-04-2024, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Is that product available on Amazon? Did you do either step with a buffer or by hand?
i used Goo Gone, Goo and Adhesive remover in spay bottle. The Wax sealer i used is Collinite 925 fiberglass sealer. The Goo Gone removes the oxidation eaisly without a buffer and I applied the Wax sealer by hand, no buffer.. I could only find the Collinite on Amazon
Old 04-04-2024, 12:38 PM   #11

Quote:
I did it by hand and I DO Not Go In CIRCLES-straight line only say left to right.
The AIO I get from ( autogeek.net)
Old 04-10-2024, 12:03 PM   #12

Oxidation

I had some damage repaired where I scraped a rock wall. New paint was quite obvious. I used 3m light buffing compound and then wax. Can’t tell new from old I also recommend MPres Mobile RV product really cleans up oxidation and makes unit look new. Also cleans up decals.
Michael Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
i used Goo Gone, Goo and Adhesive remover in spay bottle. The Wax sealer i used is Collinite 925 fiberglass sealer. The Goo Gone removes the oxidation eaisly without a buffer and I applied the Wax sealer by hand, no buffer.. I could only find the Collinite on Amazon
So when all done does the RV shine? Or just look like new? I need to do my RV and with the work it will take I am hoping to see a shine at least if possible.

My Smoker Adventure:
I bought a really cool small smoker, if interested PM me.
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:57 PM   #14

Love GooGone but be very careful using it around seals and caulk (experience from sailboat days). Tends to erode them as well. I will have to try this on my TT!
Thanks for the tip!
Lmbrjk is offline   Reply With Quote