Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2023, 12:52 PM   #1

HUghes 50 Amp EMS Installation Issue

I was hoping to get my Power Watchdog installed today, but after getting the prep work done and moving on to the wiring, I discover the directions do not match the unit. I know, I broke the man-code by reading the directions, but what can I say? Revoke my card for three days. The directions and diagram show 'Input' at the top of the unit, and 'output' at the bottom. The molded lettering on the unit have these the opposite. It could be as simple as a manufacturing error, and they put the cover on upside down, but I don't want to assume anything with electric. Anyone else have this problem? Is there any way to tell, or do I just go In where it says IN on the box and ignore the directions? Of course, the Hughes customer service line is un-answered on the weekends when most of us would have issues with install or use. Thanks all.
Loaded-N-Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 01:19 PM   #2

Try YouTube….
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 02:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Try YouTube….
Been there. all of them show "In" the top and "Out" the bottom. My guess is I will probably have to wait until Monday for them to tell me to take the cover off, and there will be some indication by the way the innards are lined up. Just didn't know if anyone else has had this issue.
Old 04-08-2023, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded-N-Rollin' View Post
Been there. all of them show "In" the top and "Out" the bottom. My guess is I will probably have to wait until Monday for them to tell me to take the cover off, and there will be some indication by the way the innards are lined up. Just didn't know if anyone else has had this issue.
Sure sounds like the cover or decal is on wrong, even the portable has the post side on top and RV side on the bottom.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:35 PM   #5

After watching several videos andtaking the back off of the unit, I have come to the conclusion that the innards are built upside down in the box. L1,L2 and L3 are at the bottom ( I believe "L" is for Line), and T1, T2 and T3 ("T" = Trailer) are at the top, which would correspond with the marking on the wire buses. There is no decal. I could install it upside down, but then The Watchdog would be a downward doggy, and the error display would be upside down and hard to read. I can't wait to have this conversation with Hughes. This is a total lack of quality control for a safety item. I have no idea what wiring it in so power flows backwards would have done, but I am pretty sure it would not work properly.
Plus, the poor sap that my wife sells this trailer to when I die (or her boyfriend if she keeps it) will be totally confused).
Grumpy, I don't think the sticker only can be upside down because of the cutout and board for the error codes and the LED dogface connection. It had to be all built from that point out upside down.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:28 AM   #6
Site Team

I believe I would take the afternoon off and call them in the morning.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 06:56 PM   #7

Resolution, Finally

They changed the design about 2 years ago to where the input is on the bottom, and out to trailer is on the top. The directions are wrong. I should have my man-card suspended for three days anyway for reading the stupid directions. I will finish install tomorrow, and all should be good. Now, if I can just get Jayco to realize that Seismic is not a manufacturer but a Model and not a Make and they need to fix the Certificate of Origin to get the title straightened out, the world will be back in order. Thank you to those that offered advice.
Old 04-10-2023, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Resolution, Finally

They changed the design about 2 years ago to where the input is on the bottom, and out to trailer is on the top. The directions are wrong. I should have my man-card suspended for three days anyway for reading the stupid directions. I will finish install tomorrow, and all should be good. Now, if I can just get Jayco to realize that Seismic is not a manufacturer but a Model and not a Make and they need to fix the Certificate of Origin to get the title straightened out, the world will be back in order. Thank you to those that offered advice.
I'm surprised that it got shipped with the directions wrong, especially since it was 2 years ago. Glad you got that cleared up.
Old 04-22-2023, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
I was hoping to get my Power Watchdog installed today, but after getting the prep work done and moving on to the wiring, I discover the directions do not match the unit. I know, I broke the man-code by reading the directions, but what can I say? Revoke my card for three days. The directions and diagram show 'Input' at the top of the unit, and 'output' at the bottom. The molded lettering on the unit have these the opposite. It could be as simple as a manufacturing error, and they put the cover on upside down, but I don't want to assume anything with electric. Anyone else have this problem? Is there any way to tell, or do I just go In where it says IN on the box and ignore the directions? Of course, the Hughes customer service line is un-answered on the weekends when most of us would have issues with install or use. Thanks all.
The proper convention when wiring an electrical device is line in top load out the bottom.
However, some manufacturers do not follow this convention.
Since the EMS will most likely get its power from the line in, if its wrong, it probably won't power up.
If it were me I would wire it according to the stickers but get photographic proof for the manufacturer if it does not work or something else happens.
Weatherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherman1 View Post
The proper convention when wiring an electrical device is line in top load out the bottom.
However, some manufacturers do not follow this convention.
Since the EMS will most likely get its power from the line in, if its wrong, it probably won't power up.
If it were me I would wire it according to the stickers but get photographic proof for the manufacturer if it does not work or something else happens.
Thanks for the reply. There are no stickers. In and Out are stamped on the wire buses at the ends. I talked to the GM of Hughes and the design of the hardwire version was changed a couple of years ago to make the out of the hard wire at the top, but somehow I got an old set of instructions, thus the confusion. It is now installed and working as it should.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I believe I would take the afternoon off and call them in the morning.
This.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote