Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #1

Ice maker stopped working after defrosting freezer

I finally had some down time in my travels and decided to defrost my freezer. I turned the fridge/freezer off, emptied the freezer, and then put a pan of warm water in the freezer. That all went well, but when i turned the fridge/freezer back on, my ice maker no longer makes ice. Ive run the temp colder (enough to freeze food in my fridge) thinking it moght be a temp setting with no luck. Have been plugged in to 50amp and fridge is running on ac. Any thoughts?
2manywheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manywheels View Post
I finally had some down time in my travels and decided to defrost my freezer. I turned the fridge/freezer off, emptied the freezer, and then put a pan of warm water in the freezer. That all went well, but when i turned the fridge/freezer back on, my ice maker no longer makes ice. Ive run the temp colder (enough to freeze food in my fridge) thinking it moght be a temp setting with no luck. Have been plugged in to 50amp and fridge is running on ac. Any thoughts?
Did you try cycling the arm that lifts when the ice bin is full? Perhaps it didn't quite return fully to the "make ice" position. Since it was working before defrosting I am assuming no one turned off the water to the refrigerator (outside) and that you are either on city water or have your pump on and water flows everywhere else.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #3

I have cycled it a dozen times and even ran it on propane for a day and switched back to ac with no luck.
2manywheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:37 PM   #4

Since you did cycle the arm with no luck, and you have water to the fridge my only other question would be if you have completely powered off the unit to "reboot" the control board.

If it were mine and rebooting didn't help, I would next jumper the icemaker water solenoid (outside lower access panel) directly to 120-volts momentarily to see if the cube tray fills. Have a towel in that freezer to catch the overflow. I have a "zip" cord extension cord with female spade terminals attached to the end where I cut off the female receptacle. I use that cord to open the solenoid when I (first) blow out the icemaker line with air then do it again to fill with antifreeze when I winterize. In the spring I do that to flush the line.

If no water flows, the solenoid or water line to the icemaker may be bad or plugged. That test result would lead me to my next items to check. Good luck!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote