Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Initial quality poll as delivered.
Quality level 1 (Terrible) 24 3.70%
Quality level 2 20 3.08%
Quality level 3 31 4.78%
Quality level 4 33 5.08%
Quality level 5 67 10.32%
Quality level 6 30 4.62%
Quality level 7 107 16.49%
Quality level 8 173 26.66%
Quality level 9 124 19.11%
Quality level 10 (Outstanding) 40 6.16%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2022, 06:29 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Speaking of shoulds, what should have happened is Jayco never let a product with those kind of issues go to a dealer and the dealer should have never accepted an RV with those kind of issues, much less, sold one. Blaming the victim and whataboutism doesn't absolve Jayco of responsibility for what they build or the dealer for what they sell. Carrying water for the Jayco brand by mobbing up on anyone who complains about product quality isn't necessarily productive either.
Mobbing Up???? I agree with your points about quality control and how these units should never leave a factory or be offered for sale in some instances but if the consumer (not the "VICTIM" ) made an educated decision to walk away from what is clearly a defective product this discussion would not need to happen.

I just don't understand someone with laundry list of things they knew were wrong with a product buying it anyway and then bashing those that manufactured or sold it

An old clothing retailer used to say in their ads "An educated consumer is our best customer" That applies across many industries...

Again, I mean no disrespect towards anyone but will not apologize for your misinterpretation of my points.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:56 AM   #182
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Mobbing Up???? I agree with your points about quality control and how these units should never leave a factory or be offered for sale in some instances but if the consumer (not the "VICTIM" ) made an educated decision to walk away from what is clearly a defective product this discussion would not need to happen.

I just don't understand someone with laundry list of things they knew were wrong with a product buying it anyway and then bashing those that manufactured or sold it

An old clothing retailer used to say in their ads "An educated consumer is our best customer" That applies across many industries...

Again, I mean no disrespect towards anyone but will not apologize for your misinterpretation of my points.
In other words, if he were educated, he wouldn't have bought this piece of junk in the first place, so it's not our fault for building junk, nor is it the dealer's fault for knowingly selling junk, it's his fault for not learning beforehand that we build and sell junk. Otherwise, he bought it trusting the dealer would stand good for those defects, as most any ordinary consumer would expect. Whether or not he should have taken delivery doesn't absolve Jayco and their representative, the dealer, of reponsibility for producing and selling a shoddy product in the first place and muddying the water by blaming the victim isn't going to make Jayco or the dealer less bad.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:47 AM   #183

FWIW I was seriously considering moving into a Precept; I was given a very fair trade value for my current coach and the ask price on the new unit was reasonable.

I ended up not proceeding.

The unit was beautiful, to be sure. Great curb appeal for lack of a better way of explaining it, very comfortable inside. Its just the fit / finish just wasn't there. I tried as much as I could to look behind the cabinets and drawers to see how it was actually put together. I saw a lot of sloppy install, but the thing that made me walk away was how I saw them run a heater duct/run from the furnace into a duct in the kitchen cabinets. It looked like the chassis/floor was turned upside down and a worker took a hammer and essentially pounded a hole through the floor and lino to make the hole for the duct. The lino was shredded upwards and looked like a Blooming Onion from Outback Steakhouse. I found another similar duct run behind another set of cabinetry.

I figured there was probably more of the same craftsmanship where I couldn't see it readily; so I walked away. These things are a lot of money; we're not talking pop-up money here.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:09 AM   #184

I'll admit to not reading the previous 180 posts so this has probably already been echoed. I will also say I'm not new to travel trailers this is my fifth one I've owned. I gave our unit a 5 here's why.

We bought our 2021 Jay Flight travel trailer used but it was a rare find in that it was owned for 10 months but was never actually used it just sat under a covered barn for 10 months. So even though we technically bought used I was able to see pretty much exactly the way it came from the dealer. Our Jay Flight in my opinion has about the same build quality as some of the cheaper Keystone units we looked at (like Springdale which is an entry travel trailer). It took 2 tubes of caulk just to prevent the outdoor kitchen from being about the same temperature as the bunk room due to all the openings at the corners. Seeing daylight from inside the camper occurs in several places. I have trim falling down and there are at least a dozen areas in the wallpaper where it looks like they tried to fill in holes in the wallpaper but whatever they used is a little darker in color than the wallpaper and looks like crap. This is literally from front of the camper to the back and everywhere in between.

This is our first Jayco and I understand the Jay Flight is lower on the Jayco ladder in terms of quality but it still costs considerably more than the cheaper units we looked at that were no different in build quality.

Hopefully she will last.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:49 AM   #185
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
FWIW I was seriously considering moving into a Precept; I was given a very fair trade value for my current coach and the ask price on the new unit was reasonable.

I ended up not proceeding.

The unit was beautiful, to be sure. Great curb appeal for lack of a better way of explaining it, very comfortable inside. Its just the fit / finish just wasn't there. I tried as much as I could to look behind the cabinets and drawers to see how it was actually put together. I saw a lot of sloppy install, but the thing that made me walk away was how I saw them run a heater duct/run from the furnace into a duct in the kitchen cabinets. It looked like the chassis/floor was turned upside down and a worker took a hammer and essentially pounded a hole through the floor and lino to make the hole for the duct. The lino was shredded upwards and looked like a Blooming Onion from Outback Steakhouse. I found another similar duct run behind another set of cabinetry.

I figured there was probably more of the same craftsmanship where I couldn't see it readily; so I walked away. These things are a lot of money; we're not talking pop-up money here.
We bought our class A from a guy who was meticulous about maintenance and who'd invested thousands in suspension and steering fixes, not to mention recovering the cab seats, dining cushions and jackknife which had previously featured the famous Jayco upholstery. I still hold my breath every time I activate the push and pray leveling system and slideouts. Otherwise, so far so good, but point is I would never consider buying one of these rigs brand new and hoping upon hope that it wasn't rushed through production to maximize profit. Meantime I'm stuck making payments on a recreational vehicle as it sits on a dealer's lot somewhere waiting for someone to fix what should have been fixed at the plant or at the dealers facility before it was sold to me.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:50 AM   #186

Quote:
In other words, if he were educated, he wouldn't have bought this piece of junk in the first place, so it's not our fault for building junk, nor is it the dealer's fault for knowingly selling junk, it's his fault for not learning beforehand that we build and sell junk. Otherwise, he bought it trusting the dealer would stand good for those defects, as most any ordinary consumer would expect. Whether or not he should have taken delivery doesn't absolve Jayco and their representative, the dealer, of reponsibility for producing and selling a shoddy product in the first place and muddying the water by blaming the victim isn't going to make Jayco or the dealer less bad.
Maybe you need to re-read what I said. You are simply repeating the same point over and for clarity, I AGREE the units should have better quality control and should never leave the factory in the condition they do. This applies to ALL makes and Models. My point is if we as consumers, walked away from a unit with a "Laundry List" of KNOWN defects then maybe our point would be driven home on a corporate level. As long as eager buyers are willing to accept delivery and then go online and cry about how bad their purchase was nothing will change.

So again just so you are clear I am NOT absolving neither the manufacturer nor the dealer of their responsibility to produce and sell a defect free product. Yes, I am blaming a consumer who knowingly purchases a defective product and then cries about how bad the condition of that product is. So in its simplest form I am blaming the consumer for not educating themselves before making a large purchase of a specialty product like an RV.

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 08-16-2022, 11:34 AM   #187
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
............... So in its simplest form I am blaming the consumer for not educating themselves before making a large purchase of a specialty product like an RV.
I think you're wrong, brand whataboutism and blaming the victim for being victimized let's the victimizer(s) evade culpability and I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #188

Quote:
I think you're wrong, brand whataboutism and blaming the victim for being victimized let's the victimizer(s) evade culpability and I'll leave it at that.
One more and I am out - The consumer is a willing participant, NOT a victim. Beyond that lets agree to disagree for the sake of the group!

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 08-16-2022, 12:11 PM   #189
Site Team

Moderators note

Ladies and gentlemen, this thread has gone off rail, and will be moderated as needed. As Crabman posted in the beginning:

"This poll is just that, a poll on initial quality. Report specific problems in the Jayco Problems and Issues forum. Civil discussion is welcome BUT rants, vents, and brand bashing will not be tolerated in this thread."

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:49 PM   #190

Wife started talking about changing our 2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE.... And I told her no.

Reading all the bad experiences some have had in the last few years. My 9yrs TT is still up an running, no major issues... But when I see some of the things coming out of factories, I'm scared to let her go.

I've heard my Dad and Grandfather often say "back in the days, they made things stronger, better"... and this is true on the RV front... ok there's profit marging and such.... but when you put too much focus on getting units out and making as much money as possible you're simply shooting yourself in the foot!

I bought mine for $25K Canadian in 2013. It's worth on the used market approx $30K... that's great but I would never pay the $50-70K they are asking for similar sized units! It just can't get through my brain that it's worth it!
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:43 PM   #191

Cool

Purchased in July seems that Jaycos quality has really gone In the dump several issues that were very obvious when it left the factory! Dealer repaired 2 issues I repaired 5 others in less than 4 months. Still a couple issues remain no word on dealership repairing them. Thought that JAYCO was one of the better brands but we are disappointed in the quality for the money we spent! Otherwise we have enjoyed 4 local camping trips this summer.
Gene McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 03:28 PM   #192

Best Quality was units built before mid year 2019 and older….
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 03:31 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Best Quality was units built before mid year 2019 and older….
Which was right before everybody and their 10 siblings decided they wanted an RV and demand went up 1,000%..
Old 01-06-2023, 03:00 PM   #194

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Initial Quality poll. How would you rate the overall quality of your RV AS DELIVERED. One through ten, one being terrible ten being outstanding. This poll is for those that purchased new, not used..

We need everyone that is relevant to vote in these quality polls so we can use the info as a reference point. Many times only problems are reported on forums so these polls will show just how good or bad the experience has been for all members. Please Vote.

This poll is just that, a poll on initial quality. Report specific problems in the Jayco Problems and Issues forum. Civil discussion is welcome BUT rants, vents, and brand bashing will not be tolerated in this thread.
I'm rating a 2008 GreyHawk, my 1st RV, and compared it to new, 2022, 31ft Class C RVs, so I gave it an 8. As an old Class C, I would have given it a nine.
glrusl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 05:05 PM   #195
Site Team

Well even with all the bad quality posts in the poll nearly 70% voted 7 or greater.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:45 AM   #196

There is also the noob factor. As someone who took this poll and gave my first trailer an 8, I will say that I had no idea what an 8 was. I did love that trailer, but… I now have a Flagstaff 21DS and when I did my 4 hour pre purchase inspection, I literally said to the RV inspector “this trailer makes my Jayco look like hot garbage”, to which he replied “this is one of the nicest trailers I have ever inspected”. The new trailer is a true 9/10 and my Jayco was a 3. I thought because it wasn’t falling apart it deserved an 8, I was very wrong.
JayLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 04:39 AM   #197

I know this is an old poll. I bought a 5th wheel 26RK in 1995 and I never had a single issue in 8 years of ownership. It was a tank. Bought a 2019 Jayco product Class C ( entegra odyssey 31L) that had a litany of initial issues that I had to fix or get fixed. Now it's great but it was very frustrating in the beginning. The dealer told me how lucky I am that I didn't buy one built during covid as the quality nose dived and prices skyrocketed. Compared to the new prices today I stole mine. $42k off msrp then. They are not marking them down like that anymore.
rndsommer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 11:16 AM   #198

tell us if not too stressed
Bocafeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 12:04 PM   #199

GAVE a 1/10 .... initial quality on Jayco Eagle. HT 24RE.

DEALER has fixed everything that fell apart .... really Jayco - STAPLES.
XMEDIC73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 02:27 PM   #200

Lots of issues

We had so many issues, I can't count.

2022 Jay Feather 27BHB purchased from WorldWideRV

- main step ladder broken
- air ducts not lined up with registers and blowing into attic space
- heater ducts not connected and blowing hot air near breaker panel
- water pump didn't work
- screws in slide out too long and cut through the vinyl flooring
- sliding door to bedroom rail not screwed into any structure in opening causing door to sag
- receptacle in cabinet near sink loose causing other receptacles not to work
- strips peeling up
- overflow tube into fresh water tank caused a significant amount of water loss and lowered water capacity
- fresh water meter way off (full tank shows 2/3; meter shows empty when it still has 17 gallons - yes, I measured)

Other than the main step ladder, I fixed all these at my own expense. If you are looking at buying a new RV, you definitely want to check everything before you buy!
azweb76 is offline   Reply With Quote