Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #1

It's getting worse out there folks.

Like many of you, I just returned from a week of camping during this past 4th of July week at a state park about 200 miles away. We golfed and fished much of the time and had a very enjoyable vacation, until we get back to the campsite.

I am getting very discouraged at the attitude, manners, disrespect and ignorance of more and more campers these days (mostly newbies I am guessing.) Trespassing on other campsites to take shortcuts to restrooms, campstores and/or rec areas. Loud music and loud voices well past quiet time. Burning plastic and garbage. Kids out of control. Dogs left alone barking for hours on end.

Friday night as I am sitting under my awning enjoying an adult beverage, 3 adults in their 30’s attempted to cut through my campsite to get to the bathroom and just about walked under my awning to get by. I told them that this was not a public walkway and directed them to a path just a few feet away for them to use. Of course, I got the middle finger salute accompanied with verbal comments as well. It did not end well…for them.

It was never ever like this before, even just a few years ago. How so many people got so ignorant on camping etiquette baffles me.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
Old 07-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #2

I’m a 31 year old avid camper my wife and I have a 9 year old daughter, I would consider myself to be part of that younger group of campers and agree just about every time we go somewhere there is some riffraff but we just try to ignore it what I hate is how disrespectful they are we left a state park this morning and past multiple camp sites people had just pulled out of that we’re dirty and full of trash, and the dump station clearly had a lines formed of people waiting and several people just pulled in front of another person rather than waiting there turn which then turned into many arguments. It was ridiculous, but my daughter is a good kid and knows the rules and we still enjoy ourselves.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #3

I am seeing that more and more as well.

I do love dogs.....But, constantly yapping..... That is very annoying. Dogs can be trained not to do that. We had neighbors that had a dog that was constantly barking, I mentioned it to the owner of the campground. So, the next time the dog was constantly barking, the owner walked up to the dog owners and asked them to do something about the constant barking. They said some very nasty things to the campground owner. He asked them to leave!
Ahhhhhh, peace and quiet.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 07-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #4

I agree. It's getting worse. I notice it too, sailing out of Muskegon, Mi on Lake Michigan, and just in general. People seem to be becoming more coarse, disrespectful, and just plain stupid. I'm very cautious about politely asking anyone to stop whatever annoying behavior they're engaging in, because people seem to be getting more touchy as well.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #5

Wife and I went out this weekend and enjoyed a nice beautiful weekend, we camped at a small private campground (20 total spots) and had no issues. We've done quite a few trips this season and not had any issues out here in the west. We mainly do state parks etc.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
I agree. It's getting worse. I notice it too, sailing out of Muskegon, Mi on Lake Michigan, and just in general. People seem to be becoming more coarse, disrespectful, and just plain stupid. I'm very cautious about politely asking anyone to stop whatever annoying behavior they're engaging in, because people seem to be getting more touchy as well.
I talk with my kids about this kind of stuff all the time. Growing up in the '70's and '80's, I don't remember things being this way. Maybe my memory of those times isn't correct, but I don't ever remember the anger, frustration, or general ill will that people show toward each other in our society today. I don't ever remember hating someone or getting in to arguments or disagreements with anyone when we were out somewhere. Basically we just treated each other with respect.

Again, maybe I'm not remembering those days correctly, but it seems that we have really lost the compassion, understanding, respect, and love that used to make this a great society to live in.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 07-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #7

It is the new ME generation, screw you just me me me. These people will be running this country in the future. Not good. Not only in campgrounds but everywhere, parking lots, stores, places to eat, it is out there, and it is not going to get any better.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #8

Most of my camping is at a county campground and the county park police and camp ground security do regular patrols and don’t tolerant any nonsense. Any complaints are addressed immediately so the word is out, follow the rules and everyone can have a good time. Break the rules and you’ll be “asked” to leave.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 07-09-2018, 04:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I talk with my kids about this kind of stuff all the time. Growing up in the '70's and '80's, I don't remember things being this way. Maybe my memory of those times isn't correct, but I don't ever remember the anger, frustration, or general ill will that people show toward each other in our society today. I don't ever remember hating someone or getting in to arguments or disagreements with anyone when we were out somewhere. Basically we just treated each other with respect.

Again, maybe I'm not remembering those days correctly, but it seems that we have really lost the compassion, understanding, respect, and love that used to make this a great society to live in.
I grew up in the 60,70’s and I am remembering it the way you do. Had a left alone yapping dog all day last trip but the couple was my age. Haven’t had too many issues camping yet but yesterday at Cracker Barrell kids running wild and screaming while the parents and grandparents just ignored them. It was so bad other tables and servers were talking about it. We didn’t eat out much when I was that age but if that were my parents I would have been taken out back. Well, my dad may have just whooped me right there. If that didn’t work I would be sent to the car by myself.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Old 07-09-2018, 04:17 AM   #10

As long as we are talking about burning things: Don't people realize aluminum cans don't burn in a campfire? They melt, but have to be shoveled out by the grounds maintenance guy. Watermelon doesn't burn, aluminum foil doesn't burn, cigarette filters don't burn (if they even make it into the fire ring. On the ground in the general area of the fire ring is close enough right?), and a full trash can of other "garbage" doesn't burn when it is dumped in the fire just as the site is vacated because that is easier than taking it to the dumpster. The fire then has to be put out before it can be removed soaking wet before the site is ready for the next camper.

Don't get me started on dogs in a campground and I AM a dog lover. We would be better off with a campground full of dogs if their owners would stay at home.

Off of soap box. I'm on duty today and I have to smile and be friendly.

We do have plenty of sites available and we are smiling - See previous sentence.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 07-09-2018, 04:45 AM   #11

It most certainly is. Ignorant people who know nothing about campground etiquette, noisy screaming, disrespectful children, running, biking through campsites, and yes, dogs. I like dogs, but not when owners don’t clean up after them or let them bark all day. Just a sign of the times Zi guess.

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Old 07-09-2018, 04:46 AM   #12
Site Team

It's a societal social issue. I also put some of the blame on social media and media in general. People can say and do anything, not just young ones and they do not talk or reason as much IMO as in other times.

Morality has taken a big hit. Some things in my younger days that were going on but they were not reported on the nightly news or in the paper every day over and over. Now those that are weirdos and perverts are made heros by the media and we seem to lap it up.

I'm going camping and to a quiet one!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-09-2018, 04:54 AM   #13

I think it all went down hill when I started seeing everyone around the campfire looking at their phones.

My daughters are 25 & 22 and besides taking a picture of the fire or something stupid Dad did, electronic devices are not welcome at our campfires.

It’s amazing how well my daughters are able to converse with people of all ages. Campfire time is for sharing, laughing and talking....oh and eating.

I had a young family with kids about 7 & 5 and they both came to the fire with iPads. I said, No iPads allowed. The mother said, go into the camper then.

This is why the world is the way it is. Parents don’t want to be bothered.
BTW they don’t camp anymore because their kids “don’t have fun”

My girls talk to us about anything....some things Dad doesn’t want to hear but at least they feel comfortable talking to us. I contribute that to camping from the day they were born.

Even as early as this past weekend my 25 year old was with us camping.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
It's a societal social issue. I also put some of the blame on social media and media in general. People can say and do anything, not just young ones and they do not talk or reason as much IMO as in other times.

Morality has taken a big hit. Some things in my younger days that were going on but they were not reported on the nightly news or in the paper every day over and over. Now those that are weirdos and perverts are made heros by the media and we seem to lap it up.

I'm going camping and to a quiet one!

You are right Norty1. As for finding a quiet campground, good luck. Here in New England a quiet campground won’t be found until kids go back to school...

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Old 07-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #15
Site Team

The reasons you state, and more, are why I stopped camping on holiday weekends long ago. I remember on one occasion where we camped on a Memorial Day weekend at a place where they allowed children to operate golf carts, ATV's, and dirt bikes. We watched in horror as a young girl driving a golf cart drifted off the road into a ditch while talking to her passengers in the back seat. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but some adults were required to get the golf cart back on the road again. Children (and a few adults too) not only walked through your site, they drove through it. The camp management did nothing to assure the safe operation and control of these vehicles.

Before I stopped camping on holidays all together, I used to book my reservation for one day before and after the holiday to avoid the check-in lines and dump station lines (especially if there were no sewer hookups at the park).

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

Old 07-09-2018, 07:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I'm on duty today and I have to smile and be friendly.

We do have plenty of sites available and we are smiling - See previous sentence.
Ed,

Thanks for your post - first time I’ve seen a host on a forum.

THANKS for what you folks do. ‘Tis greatly appreciated!

Old 07-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #17

Couple of years ago there was a group of I'm guessing 21 - 23 years olds camping in a WI state park 4 sites away from us. They came in Friday about 7 PM and started drinking, playing loud music, yelling and screaming. This continued to about 11 PM when the ranger came thru on patrol and told them they had to quiet down. He said this was their one and only warning. Half an hour later they started up again. 10 minutes later the ranger came back with a state patrol officer who said they had 20 minutes to back up and leave and looked at his watch. They started giving the officer some crap and he said 'You're leaving either on your own or in the back of a squad car.' Needless to say they packed up and left.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #18

We don't camp on weekends, holiday or not because we can't take the callousness of the human race these days. Fortunately or schedule allows us to arrive on a Sunday evening and leave on Friday 5-6 times a season.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #19
Site Team

So what do we do to make it better out there, not just with camping, but society in general? I realize it starts with how we treat others and teaching our own kids to be courteous and thoughtful. But seriously, where do we go from here? Something needs to be done and it may as well start with us.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Old 07-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Central Florida View Post
Ed,

Thanks for your post - first time I’ve seen a host on a forum.

THANKS for what you folks do. ‘Tis greatly appreciated!
Thank you for appreciating what we do. Until today it's been a 'thankless' job.

DW and I have been volunteer campground hosts and volunteered at a National Wildlife Refuge.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Closed Thread