Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2015, 06:20 PM   #11

That wd hitch will probably work ok for you as long as you don't pack to heavy in the pass through. Otherwise you may be right at the limit of the bars if packed like we are.

Unfortunately there isn't a way to add an integrated sway control to your hitch system, like you can add the Reese Dual Cam system to the newer Reese wd hitches for example. Only thing you can do is go with the side mounted friction bars if you keep your current hitch. 2 are recommended for longer trailers. Just remember to remove them before turning very sharp as that can damage them from what I understand when backing- not sure about if moving forward and making a very sharp turn. Hopefully some others can shed some light for you!

Do you plan to sell your current trailer yourselves, or trade it in? If selling yourselves, you could add a little to the price and include the hitch. Then work the trailer deal with a hitch system with integrated sway control. Just a though!

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #12

Vacation
Looking at my local dealers catalog. I assume that you are talking about the Reese sway control. Looking at the catalog it seems like a good setup. There are also other options listed.
I take delivery tmro. I'm gonna call my salesman in the morning and see if a deal for an integrated WD w/swAy can be worked into the deal. I'm still apprehensive about pulling this big thing down the road.
You ever have much "porpoising" during long hauls?

kickthetires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #13

This is the Reese system I have, with this Reese Titan shank. Now, from all the measurements I took I believe (and hope! Lol) that is the correct drop I need, but I haven't swapped the shank out yet due to the dealer not getting it ordered correctly in time for when we picked up our trailer. So as a result, they shipped the shank to me. Just haven't had a chance yet to change it.

Here is the Reese SC .

This is the Equal-I-Zer 4 Way Hitch I also mentioned.

The Reese SC and Equal-I-Zer systems are a little easier to set up compared to the Dual Cam system. Also on the DC system, if the way the trailer is loaded changes (full fresh water tank compared to only 10g for example), you may need to reseat the cams in the "crooks" of the wd bars. But some who have used both systems say when the DC is set up correctly, it is the better system. Maybe not by a huge amount, but a little bit. One thing you could notice with the SC/Equal-I-Zer is after making a turn, the sway control may not want to allow the truck and trailer to come back to a complete straight line due to the design. The DC will try to straighten the truck and trailer combo back in line with each other.

You can look up some you tube videos to try to help make a decision on which model hitch to go with.

I am not that familiar with the Blue Ox system. Just not sure how it actually has sway control built in the design when looking at it. From what I have read, it is in the way the bars flex that is how it controls sway.

As for noticing porpoising, I really haven't noticed to much, but we have only travelled about 400 mi total (loaded for a trip) since we bought the trailer. Not counting the 100 mi or so driving home from the dealer.

Chances are the dealer will have to order the hitch. I personally don't think 1200lb bars are enough for this rig, so don't let the dealer talk you into anything you don't want or need, or out of something you do want or need.

Hope this helps, and hope all goes well tomorrow!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote