Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2020, 12:05 PM   #1

Jayco price inflation

I purchased a new 2019 24RBS about four months ago. It was a left-over and given low inventory, I was lucky to find a one available. I had to drive about 400 miles to PA to pick it up but the trip was enjoyable. I registered it a few weeks later when my temporary transport plate expired. Like many other states, my home state taxes vehicles based on the MSRP when you register them. I looked up the specs on the 2019 camper and compared it with the 2020 camper and found a significant price increase, 25%. A comparison of the two model years shows no significant difference between the campers. They made some color changes and the stove is different but otherwise the campers appear to be identical. An MSRP price comparison of other Jay Flight campers 2019 vs 2020 appears to show similar price increases. A check on advertised selling prices doesn't show a corresponding price increase. My guess is that Jayco inflated their MSRP so that dealers can show deeper discounts. It may seem that all that matters is the final price a buyer negotiates, but the taxes paid each year are based solely on the MSRP. Buyers of the later model years will be paying more taxes each year.

I was on the fence about going for a leftover camper. I guess it came down to settling for a leftover so we could get the model that best suited our needs. I saved about $3000 from what the sold-out 2020 models were listed at but we'll likely lose that on the other end when we eventually sell the thing. I was unaware of the tax difference at the time we made the purchase. I guess it's not a lot of money but it would be annoying to pay more each year for nothing.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCarter View Post
snip....... but we'll likely loose that on the other end when we eventually sell the thing.....snip
Take extra good care of your 2019 24RBS and it will 'pay-forward' when you sell it..., or in trade-in value.

I had my prior Eagle TT for 13 years, took great care of it, and was very pleased with the RV dealer's trade-in offer..., they said it looked better than many 2 year old trade-ins , RV dealer later stated my trade-in didn't last long on their lot.

The same RV dealer gave me a great deal on my new ordered 2018 24RBS.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #3

The way plates are based off MSRP on rvs is such a scam. On automobiles they have an actual factory price they go off. I am sure this could be done on rvs as well. This is the third year of putting plates on my 5th wheel still over 800 dollars. Adds quite a bit of expense when you upgrade when the MSRP price is sky rocketing.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Like many other states, my home state taxes vehicles based on the MSRP when you register them. ... It may seem that all that matters is the final price a buyer negotiates, but the taxes paid each year are based solely on the MSRP. Buyers of the later model years will be paying more taxes each year.
Sales tax is one time payment, right?
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:01 PM   #5

In my state sales tax is a one time thing based on what you actually paid. Plates are based on msrp.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
In my state sales tax is a one time thing based on what you actually paid. Plates are based on msrp.

My home state is New Hampshire. We have no sales tax and no income tax. We have a property tax paid each year on real estate and vehicles. These rates vary by town but for an RV, the typical rate for a vehicle is about 1.8% for the first year and it drops each subsequent year by about .3%. If you buy a $35K MSRP camper, you pay about $700 to register it. In my case, the camper was a two-year-old leftover (2019 model), with an MSRP of $25K. It will technically be three years old this spring, so I’ll have to pay $300 instead. If I’d bought the same identical camper in a 2021 model, it would be $400 more each year for about five years. This adds up to about $2000 over a five-year period.

So how does New Hampshire manage without a broad-based tax? Our property taxes are high. A typical home pays around $5400/yr. for a single-family home plus the property taxes paid on vehicles. The state also owns all the liquor stores so we get funding from those sales. A better question might be ‘why can’t your state work without a broad-based tax?’
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:49 PM   #7

In Michigan, we have sales tax (6%) However some years back we changed to permanent plates for trailers.

One time cost when registered

0 - 2499lbs $75
2500lbs - 9999lbs $200
10,000lbs and over $300

I'm not sure how this gets more $$ for them but whatever, it's easier for me.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #8

In Virginia we have Sales Tax and depending on the county an annual Personal Property Tax based on value. There is at least one county that does not charge the personal property tax on RVs and boats. In my country ty the PPT rate is 3.60 per 100.00 of assessed value. The assessed value is 100 percent of market value. There is also a 40.00 annual registration fee and that is all above and beyond the license plate fee.

Not cheap to have a medium to high end motorhome in Virginia.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:40 PM   #9

Nevada is a scam state as well. The registration fee's are based on MSRP. Even though you buy it from a dealer...brand new...for 50K below MSRP....you pay registration fee's on the higher amount. I think it's criminal how they are taking advantage. It's a significant amount of fees.....yes the fee's do go down every year...but still expensive. My first year registration on my 2019 Greyhawk 32XP was over $1800. This is on a MH which was less than 80K. My 2nd year fee's were a little over $1600. By year 5 it gets down to under $1000.
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
In Virginia we have Sales Tax and depending on the county an annual Personal Property Tax based on value. [...]
I lived in Virginia from 1996-2000. In 1998, John Gilmore (GOP) won the Governor's seat largely based on his promise to end the "car tax," the property tax component of owning vehicles. He won and he enacted a 5 year phase out plan ... with the 5th year being the first year of the next governor's term (only one term in VA, unlike most other states).

Democrats retook the governor's seat in 2002 and promptly stopped the phase out.

If you don't like these types of tax schemes, there's a way to get rid of them. There's usually a trend with who tends to create these taxes and it's not usually too difficult to tell which candidate in a particular election is going to raise taxes and which will not.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:36 PM   #11

I'm glad that I live in Alberta as we only pay for our plate once and you just pay for insurance
Parabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #12

Quote:
I purchased a new 2019 24RBS about four months ago. It was a left-over and given low inventory, I was lucky to find a one available. I had to drive about 400 miles to PA to pick it up but the trip was enjoyable. I registered it a few weeks later when my temporary transport plate expired. Like many other states, my home state taxes vehicles based on the MSRP when you register them. I looked up the specs on the 2019 camper and compared it with the 2020 camper and found a significant price increase, 25%. A comparison of the two model years shows no significant difference between the campers. They made some color changes and the stove is different but otherwise the campers appear to be identical. An MSRP price comparison of other Jay Flight campers 2019 vs 2020 appears to show similar price increases. A check on advertised selling prices doesn't show a corresponding price increase. My guess is that Jayco inflated their MSRP so that dealers can show deeper discounts. It may seem that all that matters is the final price a buyer negotiates, but the taxes paid each year are based solely on the MSRP. Buyers of the later model years will be paying more taxes each year.

I was on the fence about going for a leftover camper. I guess it came down to settling for a leftover so we could get the model that best suited our needs. I saved about $3000 from what the sold-out 2020 models were listed at but we'll likely lose that on the other end when we eventually sell the thing. I was unaware of the tax difference at the time we made the purchase. I guess it's not a lot of money but it would be annoying to pay more each year for nothing.
I love watching that rv show from Canada where the people look at rv's and the dealer says list price is 160 and sale price is 130 and the people pay it without negotiation. Sometimes the dealer says list price is 30,000 for this 5th wheel and the people pay it. When I shopped for mine we saw the sale price and and negotiated down another 15,000. I can't believe people pay list or sale price. My plates go by weight they are 102 a year and to switch plates were around 250
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #13

You Wont Get Hurt

Welcome to the Family

Back in 2018 I purchased a Greyhawk 31 FS. Out of curiosity I did a search a few weeks ago and found the used models were selling for the same price I paid for mine when it was brand new.

So they will retain value especially in today's no travel world.

Enjoy the journey

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
20180713_125453.jpg  
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
The way plates are based off MSRP on rvs is such a scam. On automobiles they have an actual factory price they go off. I am sure this could be done on rvs as well. This is the third year of putting plates on my 5th wheel still over 800 dollars. Adds quite a bit of expense when you upgrade when the MSRP price is sky rocketing.
I’m lucky with the plate part. Michigan has a forever plate so only have pay once.
GipsieJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #15

Another thing to consider is insurance. State Farm told me they base the premium off of the MSRP.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabat View Post
I'm glad that I live in Alberta as we only pay for our plate once and you just pay for insurance
Same is true here in Ontario for trailers. The motorized units require plate renewal
Groveite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #17

Love it here. You buy new and pay sales tax. You sell it to me as used. Now I get to pay sales tax again on something that has already been taxed. Now I get to pay yearly personal property tax on something that has been taxed once or more already. I should end my rant here.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsieJohn View Post
I’m lucky with the plate part. Michigan has a forever plate so only have pay once.
Unfortunately, this only applies to towable trailers. For a MH you pay an annual registration based on the value. Since I am a seasonal user (MH in storage from Nov thru Mar) I found it is cheaper to get a temporary plate good for 60 days every 2 months from April thru Oct. It’s a little inconvenient but I pay almost $500 less over a 12 month period by doing it this way.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:03 PM   #19

High Demand drive prices

I am one when people say how expensive things are like Campers, Cars or Truck, don't buy it let them keep them a year or so on the lot they will deal then, I live 20 miles north of Lake Charles La., we got hit with two Hurricanes with in a couple of weeks of each other, many still do not power after two month and some still with out water, most of the home have sever dammage and many are not repairable, the camper sales nation wide are selling them as fast as they can make them, all the lots over here are empty, I was able to get a Jayco used but a one person owner, been three months just found a good contractor to put a new roof then start inside repairs, for the second one we hooked on the camper and went to Center Texas, not even a drop of rain or wind, a lot better than the 130 mile per hour and tornadoes we just went through, so the camper boys have a field day on pricing, my insurance is going to pay me rental after some threats to them.
joe&judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #20

In AZ I paid $19,39.45 for registering my 2017 Greyhawk 29mv

When I purchased my 2017 Greyhawk 29mv, I paid $1,939.45.

Like other states, AZ makes you pay based upon MSRP, not what you paid the dealer.

This year I paid $1,209.12 so it is going down.
crazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
msrp