Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #61

Send a message via MSN to Tonyzsi
I've owned my 2013 X18D now for 2 years and only had 1 issue with the fridge not working. I was able to jump out the board and reset it and it worked fine my last 2-3 trips in '18. We have 7 trips planned in '19 including a week in Myrtle Beach so I hope it doesn't give us any issues this year!!!
Tonyzsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #62

Little things

Quality on my third Jayco I've owned over a 26 year period is not as good as my first. The spring loaded lifters on the bed over the storage area had so much tension, they broke out both sides of the bed frame which was only held with staples. A close examination revealed most of the staple were only half in, with their other leg totally missing the skimpy wooden frame. Repaired all suspect joints with screws. A couple of the skimpy lumber used in storage framework was split, cracked, and in order to make them as secure as possible had many many staples shot into them, instead of a proper repair.

The Jayco switching power supply is so electronically noisy, it makes most of the AM band unusable on the trailers radio, along with interfering with most electronic receiving devices.

The Furrion stereo was totally mis-wired in our second trailer, and the unit themselves are overly complicated for use, not by their normal function, but how they interface with the TV and trailer speakers. Jayco needs another book explaining how the Furrion stereo/DVD player, the speakers, and the TV are all interconnected and how to sort out all functions. A map of the 'zones' for the speakers the Furrion set describes, and where the 'zones' are in the trailer would help.

Also, Jayco has never replied to quality issues or answered a question like this, the come back with an email that says the question was received, a reply will come in 24-48 hours, and still waiting for those replies.
CALNNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #63
jsk

Interesting topic. Due to the nature of RV production it is unrealistic to think a unit will have zero problems. My experience in manufacturing makes me ask what is acceptable? My unit had 12 items for the first year warranty trip. The second year had 16. Two of the second year items were repeats of the first year. Grease on brakes and bottom slide seals being ripped by the rollers. They are currently replacing all brakes for the third time.

My disappointment is my unit has been at the dealer over 3 months. I took it when THEY scheduled it. After 2 months I inquired about progress to find out Jayco denied all items on warranty list. If denied I am concerned about repeat warranty items. My 2 year warranty runs out this month. If these problems continue will Jayco step up and back their product? The axles/brakes may come from another manufacturer but Jayco sourced them. Will the dealer step up to the plate?

So far dealer has worked with individual manufacturers to get parts. I assume Jayco has helped because dealer would not likely invest man hours if not getting reimbursed. I found out Friday some items are complete.

My expectation for quality are about average. Jayco response is below average. Lack of dealer communication is below average at best. We communicate mostly by email and it takes a month to get a response sometimes. Typically by then I have called and left messages.

The seals that we have problems with are the slides with recliners in them on a 2017 387.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #64

jsk, we would never have the patience to go through what you've been through. We only had a fraction of the problems you had and still decided to sell our Jayco---primarily because we had lost confidence in its ability to offer long-term quality. A serious roof, wall, or frame issue can easily cost you $5k-$10k in repairs or lost resale value after the warranty expires. When you're dealing with an asset, that under the best of circumstances is a terrible financial investment to begin with, a serious quality issue like this can easily be a nail in the coffin.

I'd highly recommend you take your trailer in for any needed repairs before your warranty runs-out this month. Whether it be the trailer itself, or items warranteed by other manufacturers, you're typically on your own after the warranty expires. There are exceptions, but they're rare.

BTW, the 387 is a nice looking unit. Good luck with everything!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #65
RPR

Wonder if TT are like cars? Don’t buy one made on a Monday or Friday.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:38 PM   #66

Send a message via MSN to Tonyzsi
Wow jsk your experience sounds like a nightmare! Both Jayco and your dealer seem to be working against you rather than for you. I would be calling Jayco and the dealer at least once a week if I were you.
I have hopes of upgrading to a bigger unit in a couple years. After reading that I'm not sure if it's best to go new or 2-3 years old in hopes the unit has had it's issues fixed by then. I lean towards 3 years old as depreciation has usually reduced the price to an easier to manage #. Whether I buy new or used I'll be sure to ask any dealer how repairs will be handled, how long they take and what happens if there is a big delay. To me they should have to rent you a similar unit for cheap if they need to keep your trailer more than 30 days.
I just remembered that a friend had dropped their class C RV off for some service work. I believe the repair shop had parked it out on the shoulder of the road until they could work on it. Someone driving down the road ran into the back of it and caused some major damage to it. I think they had it for repairs the rest of the season and never received any compensation for it.
Tonyzsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #67

My 11 month old Whitehawk 24MBH had a chinese bomb explode (blow out on front tire, left side) on November 25, 2018 and put it with the dealer days afterward for repair. Initial damage estimate was over $4,000; but, now a broken axle has been discovered. All of this from a blow out on a chinese bomb of a tire! Jayco has delayed and delayed with parts. I now have learned that the additional axle has a ship date of 3/17 which is a date generated by a computer. I will start a stand alone quality post; but, can it get worse????
Retired17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired17 View Post
Jayco has delayed and delayed with parts. I now have learned that the additional axle has a ship date of 3/17 which is a date generated by a computer. I will start a stand alone quality post; but, can it get worse????
They don't stock most 3rd party parts. Most are shipped from the manuf to JAYCO then to or directly to the dealer.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #69

I don't care. I've been 90 plus days and they cannot even tell me when I can get a new axle. Not the Jayco quality they advertise!
Old 02-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #70

I am on my 2nd Jayco. Love my Whitehawk. Also it is 1000# lighter than the current comparable model. Since I am 75 I expect it to be my last trailer. I have made several upgrades to this trailer myself. Never had any kind of warantee service, because I can fix most things myself.

To sum up this thread:

1. Expect some stuff to go wrong or be imperfect.
2. If you want to own an RV - be prepared to fix it yourself or pay someone else big
bucks.
3. Purchase from a good independent dealer, who will accomplish your service work
in a timely manner.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
I am on my 2nd Jayco. Love my Whitehawk. Also it is 1000# lighter than the current comparable model. Since I am 75 I expect it to be my last trailer. I have made several upgrades to this trailer myself. Never had any kind of warantee service, because I can fix most things myself.

To sum up this thread:

1. Expect some stuff to go wrong or be imperfect.
2. If you want to own an RV - be prepared to fix it yourself or pay someone else big
bucks.
3. Purchase from a good independent dealer, who will accomplish your service work
in a timely manner.
I'm on my 4th Jayco and would echo the sentiments stated above. There will always be small to medium problems that one would do well to repair on one's own. Some of my Jayco have been amazing, and some, not so much. Over all, I stick with Jayco because I don't think their quality is less than the standard within the industry. I've been fortunate in the service I've received from my dealer. I purchased an extended warranty through them (Route 66). Haven't had a chance to use it, but will one of these days. It will be interesting to see if it was worth the money. In the end, I stick with Jayco because of their 2 year warranty.

Jim
Old 02-23-2019, 08:07 PM   #72

Look, I bought a new trailer, I used it for less than 12 months. Jayco's Chinese bomb exploded in 40* weather with perfect pressure less than an hour before the tire failed. No one, no one even argues that it was tire failure. Jayco's tire failed and did more than $4,000 damage to the 11 month old trailer. It's been in the dealer's hands since 11/26/18. The dealer is trying it's best to work with Jayco; but, my trailer is in the dealer's hands and it's been far too long. This trailer is under warranty; but, not the tire, I have insurance. Jayco needs to make this right and I don't care how they do it; but, I hope they do it soon! It's already to late and I don't do warranty work myself because it's under warranty. This thread is over responded and I am tired of re-explaining myself. It's bad enough that this disaster happened. All I wanted to do was to inform the forum and I am angry with Jayco, still! I want my White Hawk back, I did pay for it. That's all I have to say - good bye!
Old 02-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #73

Quote:
Look, I bought a new trailer, I used it for less than 12 months. Jayco's Chinese bomb exploded in 40* weather with perfect pressure less than an hour before the tire failed. No one, no one even argues that it was tire failure. Jayco's tire failed and did more than $4,000 damage to the 11 month old trailer. It's been in the dealer's hands since 11/26/18. The dealer is trying it's best to work with Jayco; but, my trailer is in the dealer's hands and it's been far too long. This trailer is under warranty; but, not the tire, I have insurance. Jayco needs to make this right and I don't care how they do it; but, I hope they do it soon! It's already to late and I don't do warranty work myself because it's under warranty. This thread is over responded and I am tired of re-explaining myself. It's bad enough that this disaster happened. All I wanted to do was to inform the forum and I am angry with Jayco, still! I want my White Hawk back, I did pay for it. That's all I have to say - good bye!
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:15 PM   #74

Quote:
I understand your frustration. I hope wherever you end up is better than where you are. The differences in the RV brands are at best subtle. Hopefully it gets better.

Jim
Old 02-23-2019, 08:57 PM   #75

Quote:
OK, we all get it — for the 10th time. If you didn’t want Jayco owners’ feedback, you should have posted here instead of the JOF: https://www.bbb.org Wish you the best!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPEagle View Post
It seems as though a "quality" post emerges every 2-3 weeks, so this seems to be "right on time."

Some folks like to throw around adjectives like flimsy, cheap and disposable. The fact of the matter is that any RV or travel trailer is a compromise... a compromise of ruggedness and portability. Materials must be light in weight in order to function well in a mobile platform. This does not make them "flimsy," but light and flexible. Things can break, but everything can be fixed. Wouldn't you hold a permanent structure to the same standards??

Most of the stories you will read online are negative. After all, everyone else is out on the road/in nature enjoying their purchase (and not venting to the internet about their bad fortune).

My advice: pick the best floor-plan and LEARN ABOUT YOUR RIG! To me, maintenance and upgrading is part of the fun!

PS: Any list that puts Airstream at the top loses its credibility with me. I personally know that Airstreams are build no better (or with different components) than anything else... they simply come at a higher price tag, and they want to make sure that you know it!

Wife and I went to an RV show in Austin Tx yesterday and just for grins went into a few Airstream's to see what the deal is with them. Couldn't believe how small they are and the price they wanted. $70k for about a 20 footer? Wow.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #77

Before you sign the check have a good PDI
and a goid understanding of what is warranted by Jayco and what is not
There are a few reasons why you get an armload of manuals when you close the deal
If you dont understand what is a direct Jayco warranty and what is not : some one didn't do what they should
A good dealer will explain everything to you
In my mind that is more important than price
After all we all want light and convenient
and for most that means pulling a rolling tin can earthquake
We have 80,000 miles on our cheapie Jayco and

one warranty isue that was picked up by our dealer: a bent axle
Not sure that was not our fault

We go over lots of rough roads

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #78

I can't say enough how important research before you buy and a good PDI before you take delivery is to being happy and satisfied with your purchase of any RV regardless of brand. My Jayco is a 2016 Pinnacle FW and we chose Jayco for quality, features, and floorplan. Our FW came with Goodyear tires. If it had not, this would have been a point of negotiations with the dealer on the purchase. I find that most dealerships are willing to work with you when you are spending 10's of thousands of dollars and less the $500 stands between making the deal and losing the deal. Overall, we are extremely satisfied with our Jayco. The minor issues we have encountered I could take care of myself or it was fixed under warranty. Nothing is perfect. You expect to make repairs to your house, your car, your boat. An RV will be no different.

I would gladly buy another Jayco with out hesitation. Happy Camping!
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #79

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Speaking the full truth, doesn't get angry but shows responsibility. I'm sure in Texas with higher temperature and higher speed limits tires can blow faster than in the North with lower temperature. I have for the last 12 years China bomb makes and so far so good.
But if one blows and start shredding the plastic fenders are no match.
When humans don't complain it might get to quiet in this world of RVing.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #80
Site Team

Retired17, Thanks. Please post the resolution when you get satisfaction. It will be interesting to hear how it turns out.

We are happy you got the rant out of your system and we did not appear to be giving you any info that you wanted to hear.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote