Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2021, 06:27 AM   #1

Jayco verses Dealer for Warranty Work

Hello,
I have seen several comments about people going to Jayco for warranty work instead of the dealer because they say they do not trust the dealer. Does this mean they take the RV all the way back to Indiana for work or am I missing something? Please explain. Thank You, Steve
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:33 AM   #2

That’s what it means. I’m in Houston and the Entegra dealer here is not that good. My other choice would be camping world. No comment. Our floor is defective and is being replaced under warranty so it being a major repair I will be driving to factory in Indiana when it is time. No fun but in my opinion the best option. Absolutely would not be doing this for minor stuff. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:36 AM   #3

Thanks Trapper. I guess you just make a nice trip out of it.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:50 AM   #4

We had issues with our large kitchen slide.. Still under warranty
Jayco payed for a mobile tech service twice. Two different ones as we where travelling. First said bad motor bad controller. Both ordered and installed by second service outfit. Did not fix. Their recommendation was take it back to factory. So we did on our way home. The fix was replace the one motor wire harness but the real fix was 4 heavier wall reinforcement plates. That stopped the H member from twisting. We where very impressed with the factory folks.
Getting thru to customer service was a challenge everytime... At least 40 minutes on phone... Usually an hour waiting to talk to a rep.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:40 AM   #5

So you called Entegra directly but the challenge was getting through to customer service to arrange for an appointment? But once you got through things went smoothly? Thanks for your help!
Old 03-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #6

In my case the appointment at factory service was made before we took delivery of the coach because our selling dealer could not re-paint the graphics after a slide was aligned.

Because we required paint work Jayco Factory Service required our coach for 2 weeks. We took our toad, spent one night in a hotel down the street from Jayco and then went back 2 weeks later to pick up the coach. The day we picked it up we spent the night in the KOA right down the street so I could do a full hookup check of everything they had to repair.

Out biggest issue was our appointment was scheduled for the beginning of the COVID shut downs so it had to be rescheduled.

As a side note, since we only travel 300 miles per day we found many areas and campgrounds that require a return visit for pleasure. We took different routes for the initial and return trips.

One word of caution, it may take 3 months to get an appointment.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:08 AM   #7

Hey Dave,

Nice to hear from you. Thanks
Old 03-28-2021, 08:26 AM   #8

Morning Steve

One additional point on the issue. In my case the Factory service was to align the living area slide and repaint the graphics after the alignment. My dealer did not, and does not, have a body shop or paint booth and they contract that work out.

Our dealer's Pre-Delivery section is lousy and caused some bad feelings between me and the dealer. After our shake down I had a couple of small warranty issues so I took it back to the dealer and found their service department to be extremely competent.

As far as dealers go, the first impression is, unfortunately, not always accurate.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #9

I'm pretty lucky. I have a dealer that has been great to work with thru the years. (Fortunately, we have not had any really terrible quality issues happen either.)
2021 Ford F350
Nothing beats a day outside camping!
EBCTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:03 PM   #10
Drv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Hello,
I have seen several comments about people going to Jayco for warranty work instead of the dealer because they say they do not trust the dealer. Does this mean they take the RV all the way back to Indiana for work or am I missing something? Please explain. Thank You, Steve
Hi Steve,
Since I'm one of the Advocates for Factory Warranty on bigger items I should probably chime in and explain my thought process/experience.
My parents, specifically my father normally researches and researches major purchases like cars, appliances etc...When they bought their 2014 31ul Precept I assumed he had done his usual due diligence and knew most everything he was getting into.(i didnt I knew they had been wanting a Motorhome for a while but never pulled the trigger on anything. So when they wanted to go to the kind of local Jayco dealer (RVOne) I assumed we were kicking tires. Long story semi short they pulled the trigger that very day with the help of Mark Strollo who happened to be in store that day.
Well turns out my father had not really done normal due diligence on the industry and we were on a fast learning curve of how Not NORMAL the industry and RV quality control were. To be fair to Mark Strollo, he was great once he was involved some things moved better. Unfortunately, my father had multiple issues and parts needing ordered etc. After playing the waiting game one to many times for parts and service he/we finally had enough and Jayco stepped up to fix the various items he needed repaired at the factory.
Our experience was night and day different from our local dealer and a dealer Jayco recommended for repairs. Yes, my father had some issues with communication at first but bottom line the more serious items such as Front Dash/Chassis A/C not working properly, severe crazing/cracking of gel coat on front cap were repaired and the service people were beyond respectful and willing to listen to concerns.
To clarify, my dad and I can handle most all the other stuff that goes wrong on the coaches, electrical, mechanical etc.. but the cracking front cap and the peace meal way the first few units off the production line HVAC worked/assembled was not something he felt like he should have to fix on a new rig.
After our positive experience at the factory I knew when it came time to purchase a coach if I had bigger issues it would go back to the factory. Fortunately, for me I'm only a couple states away from factory, making it a pretty easy choice.
Please feel free to PM me if you want more details, but bottom line is the factory repairs worked extremely well for my father and Im hoping to have the same experience. My communication via email has been very good and responsive. Obviously, that isn't always the case.
Drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drv View Post
Long story semi short they pulled the trigger that very day with the help of Mark Strollo who happened to be in store that day.

Who is Mark Strollo and why would that be important to mention?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:48 AM   #12
Drv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Who is Mark Strollo and why would that be important to mention?
He was one of the three brothers who owned the dealership at the time. The dealership does not always have the best reputation for service and after sales support. I felt compelled to at least mention when he became involved in some of the early service issues the issues were resolved in a more timely fashion. Some have had a similar experience with him. Some may have had a different experience. I can only state our experience.
We still had issues unresolved and rather then complaining to one of the owners over and over, we pursued a different avenue at the factory and it worked well for us at that time. Again, others experiences may vary as we all know.
In regards to the purchase day, he took over sale with my parents and buttoned up on a price that we all felt was fair at the time. Im sure he GM of the store could have probably done the same deal but Mark was significantly more refined in his approach.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:17 PM   #13

Thanks for the information. I actually saw Mark Strollo on the a warranty video. You must have gotten your RV at a RV1 store?
Old 03-29-2021, 06:11 PM   #14
Drv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Thanks for the information. I actually saw Mark Strollo on the a warranty video. You must have gotten your RV at a RV1 store?
Yes, my Accolade is from RVone...actually negotiated through RVDirect then picked up at a Rvone store out east. They happened to have the blue/black exterior combo we liked and it was the best price we had been quoted. To be fair, RV Connection in MIddlebury, IN. was within few grand to order a new 2022 Seneca and my last interaction with them was very good as well. By dumb luck we went with the instant gratification of the in stock 2021 with RV1 and avoided the Covid Shut down which would have pushed a 2022 delivery into fall of last year.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:09 PM   #15
Drv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drv View Post
Yes, my Accolade is from RVone...actually negotiated through RVDirect then picked up at a Rvone store out east. They happened to have the blue/black exterior combo we liked and it was the best price we had been quoted. To be fair, RV Connection in MIddlebury, IN. was within few grand to order a new 2022 Seneca and my last interaction with them was very good as well. By dumb luck we went with the instant gratification of the in stock 2021 with RV1 and avoided the Covid Shut down which would have pushed a 2022 delivery into fall of last year.
Edit: I have a 2020....order deal would have been for a 2021.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:33 PM   #16

Hi. Can you please explain how your floor is defective? What are they replacing? Thanks.
BrendaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:21 AM   #17

BrendaD
The glue they used to fasten the vinyl to the wood floor is turning yellow and can be seen through the floor. This can really be seen in bright light situations. I do not know if we are seeing the glue or if the glue has caused the vinyl to yellow. The floor vinyl is being replaced.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:43 AM   #18

I am glad they are replacing your vinyl flooring. I have not heard of this problem but who knows, anything is possible. The only other time I have personally seen yellowed vinyl is when there has been a water leak, the water eventually made its way to the floor and that of course, will make the vinyl yellow. But, you should also notice some softening in the floor as well, even a little. And obviously, if that was the case, they would need to replace your plywood or whatever is underneath. Good luck!
BrendaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #19

Yes, We would absolutely take it back to the factory, and have. We had them install slide toppers, and later took it back for a new roof, and other repairs. We've also taken it to the Lippert factory near Jayco for some frame repair. 5 hours drive vs. 1/2 hour to local dealership. Worth it, if you can get an appointment. They schedule something like 6 months out.