Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2016, 09:04 AM   #1

Jayco Warranty Question

Bought a 23F about 4 hours from home since that was the only closest place we could find with the trailer we wanted, as well as they had a great price.

We have owned it for about 4 weeks.

We have camped with it once so far, for 2 nights.

Up until now we have kept it on our side yard, but this weekend we moved it into the driveway where I can see the roof from the second floor window.

I noticed last night that it looked like the TV antenna wire was just lying on the roof. I went out to check it and the wire is broken and pulled from the antenna. I also noticed that there is about a 1/2" tear in the rubber roof material about a foot from the antenna, and a couple other scratch marks both on the roof and the awning material, which are white, as if the trailer had something white dragged or rubbed along a short part of the roof.

I called a local Jayco dealer in south jersey who will at this time remain nameless, and asked if I could bring the trailer by to have it looked at under the warranty. Which brings me to my point.

I was told that they are only accepting warranty work on Jaycos if I purchased the trailer there. I was under the impression that any Jayco dealer should honor my warranty.

Can anyone clarify the Jayco warranty policy for me? I'll call Jayco also but thought I might get a quicker answer here

twoballscrewball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #2

Bring it to the dealer you bought it from. I know most dealers will service people that bought from them first. You can't blame a dealer for looking after people that supported them first, I'm sure they will get to you eventually. That is why I prefer to buy local.

FoxRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #3

Perhaps not an "official" answer, but that is the same basic understanding my local Jayco dealer gave me...if you do not purchase the unit from them, they are not obligated to perform warranty work, and if they do you may well find yourself in the back of the line. Actually, it was one of the reasons we purchased locally instead of driving several hours. Over the years, I've never taken a trailer in for warranty work (we've always bought used), but when we bought our new Jayco the slight increase in price over a distant dealer provided the peace of mind that the local dealer will honor the warranty work and get it done in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #4

We have ordered a 5th wheel from a dealer 8ish hours from us. They are $7000.00 less than our local dealer. I have tried repeatedly speaking with our local dealer, and I want to support local, but not $7000 worth of support. They will not budge from their price, and have told us that since they are the only Jayco dealer within 5 hours, they can charge more, and will. Very arrogant. Also, they have told us if we don't buy from them, good luck getting service. They said if we bring our unit to them, it will sit and be the last thing they will work on.....

So,
With that attitude, I really don't want to shop with them.
If I need warranty work, I will call them up and see what happens. I can't imagine the Jayco factory would be happy to get a call about this type of behavior from a "signature" dealer.

Didn't ask my local dealer what would happen if someone bought a RV from a dealer 10 hours away, and then moved to the area?
Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoballscrewball View Post
Can anyone clarify the Jayco warranty policy for me? I'll call Jayco also but thought I might get a quicker answer here
In my opinion, you are better off getting the info from Jayco than trying on this forum

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

I've been told the same thing by RV dealers. Except maybe Camping World, but they are so awful it doesn't really matter if you're on the front of the line or the back - you're probably getting hosed anyway.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
I was told that they are only accepting warranty work on Jaycos if I purchased the trailer there. I was under the impression that any Jayco dealer should honor my warranty.

That has always been the issue with RV's. It's not like an auto dealer whose.computers are tied to a national network. If you didn't buy it there you may or may not get work done, usually traveling is the exception.

Definitely contact JAYCO since they have been known to authorize " non dealers" to do service.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #8

Unlike the auto industry, this is the MO for RV dealers. Jayco's official response is that you can take it to any dealer. Trouble is most dealers generally won't do warranty work on what was not purchased from them.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #9

People need to start calling Jayco when they have this type of problem. What if you buy in one state and then move? This leaves a sour taste in my mouth if this is how Jayco allows their dealers to operate. It should be first come, first served, whether you bought it from that dealer or not.
Campin'_Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #10

Quote:

I called a local Jayco dealer in south jersey who will at this time remain nameless, and asked if I could bring the trailer by to have it looked at under the warranty. Which brings me to my point.

This dealer doesn't want your business, now or in the future. Why try to give him more business? I have to drive 2hrs to get to a dealer, north or south...