Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #1

Lighting?

The lighting inside our rv is, well, bad on these old eyes.

We have a few 120v lamps inside with either 25 or 40 watt bulbs. They are fine for evenings but if we want lighting for reading or other day or night lighting, it's either too much light or not enough light from the coach(12v) lights.
Anyone else have this issue or have a fix?

TiA!
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:11 PM   #2

For the 12v lights, pop a bulb out and look at the base. If they are factory LEDs this may make it harder to do. Many led replacements are available if you can look online. Many are rated for light color, usually designated as "k" numbers with lower being more yellow, higher numbers being whiter color. Also look for lumens, or brightness, higher is brighter.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 03:47 PM   #3

Looks like you have a 2021 Jayflight 212qb TT. That tells me your lighting is all LED, and the boards are integrated into the light fixture. Unfortunately there is not much you can do with those lights.

When we purchased our HTT, I added I think 7 lights. I now want a few more lights. I have not picked a style yet, but I am thinking about adding something along this style. https://www.amazon.com/Ceiling-Surfa...%2C200&sr=8-14

Go to Amazon and type in "rv lights interior 12v" in the search engine and they list all kinds of lighting options. I will probably buy one or two different lights to try out, and then upgrade everything or just add more. One of my goals will require them to have their own on/off switch so I can have as much or as little light in an area as I want.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:57 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess I need to go back and change my profile info.
We traded up to a class A motorhome about 2 weeks ago.
Not a Jayco, do I need to say goodbye? I think I've read different opinions somewhere on this forum. I hope not!
Issue remains the same, so thanks for the info.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:43 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess I need to go back and change my profile info.
We traded up to a class A motorhome about 2 weeks ago.
Not a Jayco, do I need to say goodbye? I think I've read different opinions somewhere on this forum. I hope not!
Issue remains the same, so thanks for the info.
No not at all. Many members have different brands, or some none at all yet. We're here to help anybody and everybody with questions, no matter what you have in the driveway.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:52 PM   #6

Thanks, everyone. I was hoping that we could stay on this forum!
Old 02-01-2022, 08:00 PM   #7
Site Team

Absolutely. We don't have what I jokingly refer to as "driveway police" to see what's in it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:47 PM   #8

Could the OP have dimmers on his new RV and they're on a lower setting?
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Could the OP have dimmers on his new RV and they're on a lower setting?
Or, if the owner of this post has LED lights, do they make a dimmer switch that would reduce/increase the LED lights?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:27 AM   #10

Gel Filter Sheets can change your LEDs color

There are several LEDs in our camper that are WAY TOO BRIGHT. Most have dimmers but not all. There are two just above our bed pillows for example. Sunglasses required. The thought of turning them on at night was scary before we solved the problem.
We searched for LEDs with lower LUMENS. No luck for these. The solution was simple and we love the results. Someone on this forum suggested it too. Sorry, I can credit them because I can't find it now.
From Amazon we bought a pack of "CTO Photography Lighting gels for Photo Studio Flashlight Led Light". These are semi transparent sheets (plastic) that we cut to fit inside the light fixture, between the LED bulb and the cover. They are not visible before or after the light is on but the color is very warm. Just insert one sheet for a small change and add more to increase the effect.
One pack provides many layers and we had a lot left over after making the fix throughout our camper. $15 dollars well spent.

PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:29 PM   #11

Good idea. I agree on the bedroom lights. How the heck do you get the cover off. I just wanted to clear out some debris in one, but was afraid of breaking something trying to remove it.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:36 PM   #12

Mine are shaped sort-of like a couple triangles. I used a butter knife. Just pushed the knife in on the edge and it pops off.
The most difficult part was getting the filter shaped just right... my fault, I'm bad with scissors. Fortunately, there is plenty of material to practice with.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:39 PM   #13

My LED puck light covers twist off. I'm in the process of making my own shades for the dining lights since they are so harsh. I love the idea of the inserts. I thought also about simply painting the inside of the plastic cover to tint them in certain areas.
fnlvr234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
The lighting inside our rv is, well, bad on these old eyes.

We have a few 120v lamps inside with either 25 or 40 watt bulbs. They are fine for evenings but if we want lighting for reading or other day or night lighting, it's either too much light or not enough light from the coach(12v) lights.
Anyone else have this issue or have a fix?

TiA!
We pulled out all the lights in our greyhawk. Wasn’t cheap but replaced all the lights with the extra white LED lights. Made a world of difference, as I have an 860 vision without glasses and cataracts. Not only did it help see, it made a world of difference on battery usage. Good luck. Ps. Those LED lights are a lot cheaper now than when we bought them.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:30 PM   #15

Of COURSE stay on the forum! I've even got a dinky 16XRB on it. lol There is a lot to learn and share; it's a tremendous resource and great reading as well. Glad you saw the light - best wishes with your new rig!

Funny the twists and turns life brings us, but old friends always remain. : )
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:58 PM   #16

We put a rubber jar opener across the glass cover turn just a little, they sound like they are scraping, come down like a smoke detector, and go back the same way. A little area to take up and down, with a partial turn on and off. Just the glass cover, no more. Good luck. Some are tighter than overs some come off and on easier than others. Just make sure they have licked back in before removing your hand…..
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote