Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #1

Mattress replacement

We are wanting to replace the horrible king mattress that came with our new 2018 ( 321 rsts ). Would like to hear from those that have already replaced theirs and how they like what they bought. We are looking at the wilderness montana hybrid mattress if anyone has an opinion on that one. Thanks in advance.
windywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #2

I got a Zinus 10 inch to replace the horrid bag of crumpled newspaper they called a mattress.

Soft yet supportive for a 165 pounder. Spouse feel no movement when I get in or out.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #3

We are SleepNumber folks. Only thing is the rv style is a Camping World exclusive & not available at their retail stores
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #4

We purchased a Tochta Utopia to replace our queen rv mattress. While it is more expensive than some it is a very comfortable mattress. We loved our first week on it so much we are considering replacing our mattress at home with one.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
We are SleepNumber folks. Only thing is the rv style is a Camping World exclusive & not available at their retail stores
I have the Sleep Number Radius King and it is superb. Let me think now, it is 9 years old and still working fine. I full time so the cost was a no-brainer. For weekend use only it might be a bit pricey, but then I absolutely dislike memory foam or any topper.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:41 AM   #6

And you are one example why (and this is not critical of you) RV manufacturers do not spend a lot of money putting top shelf mattresses in RV's. People like different styles of mattresses, and different levels of firmness.

Take me for instance. I have a 10" multi-layer foam mattress and love it. So right here, we have two different opinions on what's the best mattress. Many, many folks will soon replace the mattress that comes in an RV, with the mattress they prefer.

So why should manufacturers spend much money putting in what they believe are high quality mattresses?

What manufacturers should not do is pretend they are putting top shelf mattresses in their RV's. Clearly they are not, unless we're talking about a .5-1 million dollar custom built motorhome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I have the Sleep Number Radius King and it is superb. Let me think now, it is 9 years old and still working fine. I full time so the cost was a no-brainer. For weekend use only it might be a bit pricey, but then I absolutely dislike memory foam or any topper.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
And you are one example why (and this is not critical of you) RV manufacturers do not spend a lot of money putting top shelf mattresses in RV's. People like different styles of mattresses, and different levels of firmness.

Take me for instance. I have a 10" multi-layer foam mattress and love it. So right here, we have two different opinions on what's the best mattress. Many, many folks will soon replace the mattress that comes in an RV, with the mattress they prefer.

So why should manufacturers spend much money putting in what they believe are high quality mattresses?

What manufacturers should not do is pretend they are putting top shelf mattresses in their RV's. Clearly they are not, unless we're talking about a .5-1 million dollar custom built motorhome.
I think all the RV dealers are missing a great opportunity. They should have a rv mattress store attached to their dealer ship and then the customers could pick what the like and already have it when they leave the lot.
Want to thank everyone for their replies.
windywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
PMC

We did a memory foam mattress from a local mattress maker we've used for our house beds and the difference is night and day. Factory mattress - horrible, maybe worse than horrible. New mattress - I sleep as good as I do at home, maybe better some of the time. We went with the same 72x80 size that they sell it with but use regular king sheets and mattress pad and everything fits perfect.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:35 AM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Things must have changed because yesterday I ordered a new sleep number king size unit from a local store and it is being shipped directly to us from the factory. Glad I did not have to deal with CW.
Bob and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Funny you say that. Back when I was shopping for my first trailer, I watched a LOT of videos by "Josh the RV Nerd" out of Haylett RV. He does and has done A LOT of very informative videos BTW. Anyway, for quite a while he boasted that "Jayco spends more on their mattresses than any other RV manufacturer". He touted the awesomeness of the Denver mattresses they were equipping back in those days.

What a crock that was!! I remember thinking "why would you spend SO much on this crappy mattress; the $$ would have been MUCH better used elsewhere!"

And I think a dealer selling low-cost foam "mattresses in a box" as an add-on is a FANTASTIC idea!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #11

Quote:
X2

We love the SleepNumber. Have one in the FW and in the house.

Kept OEM mattress and took it from the camper and set it up in the house in a spare bedroom. This way, if and when we get a different camper we can put the OEM mattress back in and use the SleepNumber mattress in the next trailer.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Brenda View Post
Things must have changed because yesterday I ordered a new sleep number king size unit from a local store and it is being shipped directly to us from the factory. Glad I did not have to deal with CW.
We bought ours in 2011 from CW on-line, the rv radius style was only available thru CW. We have had the regular one at home for at least 15 years.
Maybe since I have only bought accessories from CW , never had a bad experience.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #13

We picked up a

NuForm Quilted Pillow Top 11-inch Plush Foam Mattress

from Overstock for under $300, a short queen.

Much better then what was in it. Just spent 5 nights on it. 4.5 out of 5 to start with.

Time will tell.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:02 PM   #14
Site Team

We replaced our mattress from hell with a Zinus 10" memory foam, also. The original one was maybe OK for a short weekend trip, but after three or four nights, we really didn't want to sleep on it. It almost crippled the DW on a two week excursion. The first chance I got when back home, it was replaced. One of the best things we did.
We love our Sleep Number at home, but our little TT has to keep the Zinus.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #15

X2 on Zinus short queen 10 inch, about 30 days last years, came through the winter perfect condition.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by windywy View Post
We are wanting to replace the horrible king mattress that came with our new 2018 ( 321 rsts ). Would like to hear from those that have already replaced theirs and how they like what they bought. We are looking at the wilderness montana hybrid mattress if anyone has an opinion on that one. Thanks in advance.

We replaced our mattress with one from the Original Mattress Factory. They are the best made.

https://www.originalmattress.com/?gc...hoCNpcQAvD_BwE
Jayco Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #17

Replacement Mattress

We went with two options to replace the horrible mattress in our 2018 Jayco 31V. For standard sizes check out the Dynasty Mattress on Amazon, various thickness from 10" to 15". We got this one and love it. https://www.amazon.com/DynastyMattre...ay&sr=8-4&th=1

For a custom size, like for the over the driver bunk, check out Tochta: https://tochta.refr.cc/leopleiman ...and you get $25 off.

I have no financial connection to either vendor.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #18

Agree with Poohbear. We are on our second Sleep Number bed. First was a Queen, second is an RV King bought through Camping World. It's not top of the line but it was worth EVERY penny when compared with the OEM Mattress.
OldSoldier_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #19

I’ve heard this https://www.mattressinsider.com/ is the very best place to buy a replacement mattress of any shape or size for your RV.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #20

Sleep number bed here too!! It is ultra lite and super comfortable. We ended up buying a used one off Craigslist that was hardly used for $200 and it came with a pedestal bed frame my son grabbed.
DadBodMarathonRunner is offline   Reply With Quote