Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2021, 04:45 PM   #1

Metered electric

We are considering going full-time. Many of the campgrounds offer either monthly or seasonal rates. The rates are plus electric. What would be the average cost for electric be for normal camping?

Thanks!
masterarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:00 PM   #2
Site Team

I can't answer for sure, but I would think it depends on your individual usage while there. It sounds like you're going to be full time while at the campground, so it would be a bit more than if you just went there on weekends. I'm sure someone who does the same as you will chime in.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:11 PM   #3
CAG

If you have looked a certain camp grounds call them and ask. Best to get it from the horses mouth.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:17 PM   #4

All depends on the area and the utility company rates as well as your usage. My experience has been normally less than $100 a month.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:53 PM   #5

I pay $23 a month in the Winter when there is no electric usage. That's the minimum just for the service. In the Summer with 2 weekends of use it goes up to $24. In the Fall when we have the furnace and more lights in use, for 2 weekends it's about $25.

Based on the KWH usage compared to my house, I would guess about $50 a month for full time. That's for a private line. I own the pole and all the lines coming from the main line on the road.

It costs $80 to discontinue service and another $80 to turn it back on, so for us its more cost effective to leave it on all year.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:02 PM   #6

Unfortunately this can be one of those "Buyer Beware" situations. We spent the winter in Florida a couple of years ago... and if you intend to stay in for a month or longer, the rates no longer include electric, they put you in the long-term resident spaces that have electric meters attached to the pedestal. If you stay less than 30 days, you have electric included in your space rent and can extend if they have availability.

Now the buyer beware part... Some parks charged a "utility deposit" of an equalivent of 3-months space rent. Their rates for power were on a variable scale of kWh and were about 2.5x more than what we pay for electricity at home. Many of the spaces had some antique electrical meters that were over 50 years old and you also payed for the park's lights that were installed on the pedestal along with your own use. (I shut down the main braker on the pedestal and the 60W light went off)

Read the fine print... One park had a meter reading fee of $10 on Saturday and $20 on Sunday if you were pulling in or out on those days.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Now the buyer beware part... Some parks charged a "utility deposit" of an equalivent of 3-months space rent.

Read the fine print... One park had a meter reading fee of $10 on Saturday and $20 on Sunday if you were pulling in or out on those day
Some also add an admin fee for the paperwork, plus the meter read fee.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:58 AM   #8

I've been full-timing for 7 years now. I spend the spring/summer/fall as a campground host in a Michigan State Park, where my site rent (including elect.) is comped. Since I don't have to pay for electricity, I use my electric space heater more than my propane furnace. A LOT less expensive! During the winter, I move to a private campground in south-central Texas, where my electricity is metered. The first couple of years, I used my space heater a lot, and my monthly electric bill was $90 - $120. Over the last couple of years, I've learned to conserve electricity like I conserve water. I set the furnace t-stat to 65 at night and turn on my electric/heated mattress pad to keep myself warm under the blanket(s). I use my electric space heater only to maintain an even temperature in the early morning. Once the sun comes out and starts to warm things up, the space heater goes off. I also turn my (electric) water heater off after the dinner dishes are done. I've found the water temp is still warm (not hot) by morning - when I turn the water heater back on. I also keep my outside lights off at night, unless I'm taking the dog out to do his business. The last couple of years, my monthly electricity bill has averaged $60 - $68 dollars. I've also found a propane dealer where I can refill a 30# tank for about $15 - which is $6 less than what the campground was charging me.

As others have said, it all depends on your electric usage. Like me, it may take you a couple of seasons to find the balance that's best for you, but I sure you'll figure it out. Good luck, and HAPPY CAMPING!
Old 02-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterarcher View Post
We are considering going full-time. Many of the campgrounds offer either monthly or seasonal rates. The rates are plus electric. What would be the average cost for electric be for normal camping?

Thanks!
It depends on what metering setup the campground has.
If the site is "submetered", meaning the meter is installed after the electric utility company campground meter, the campground owner owns the meter and can charge whatever they want (or not charge at all).
If it's an electric utility company meter, you would need to contact the electric utility and inquire about their rate structure.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #10

We were seasonal in Wisconsin for 10 years and used the camper 4-5 days a weeks from April through October. Our metered electric bill was between $30- $37 a month. We left the fridge plugged all the time and did use AC when needed. It's going to depend on the price per KWH and how much you use.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #11
CAG

My house electric in the summer runs $500 plus. If you are only paying for an RV this kinda affects me like gas mileage. So what. You have an RV, don't worry about the small stuff. Enjoy what you have. If the electric and fuel is costing too much you probably need to find another abode. Just saying I know we all penny pinch but sometimes we just need to enjoy life and move on.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
My house electric in the summer runs $500 plus. If you are only paying for an RV this kinda affects me like gas mileage. So what. You have an RV, don't worry about the small stuff. Enjoy what you have. If the electric and fuel is costing too much you probably need to find another abode. Just saying I know we all penny pinch but sometimes we just need to enjoy life and move on.
I live in NY. Everybody bashes us for our taxes. Truth is that taxes don't matter, per se'. Its the total cost of living that counts. That takes EVERYTHING into consideration.

I live here because I LIKE it here, money be darned. My ANNUAL electric doesn't exceed $500. My annual gas for the furnace doesn't exceed $500. If I had to pay $500 a month for anything, that would be my incentive to move.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterarcher View Post
we are considering going full-time. Many of the campgrounds offer either monthly or seasonal rates. The rates are plus electric. What would be the average cost for electric be for normal camping?

Thanks!
$.24 - $.26 kwh.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:51 PM   #14

Quote:
sorry for my response... I was just trying to help the OP with some real world experiences... Not everyone has $$$ gushing out of their bank-accounts and when planning to go "full time" - many worry that the expenses might be more than the Social Security income.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:58 AM   #15

Quote:
$500.00 per month. Jeeesus....
Our highest bills are in winter. Roughly $220.00. That's running our heat (mini split heat pump), well pump, hot water, elec range, hot tub, etc.
Guess I can't complain! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
I live in NY. Everybody bashes us for our taxes. Truth is that taxes don't matter, per se'. Its the total cost of living that counts. That takes EVERYTHING into consideration.

I live here because I LIKE it here, money be darned. My ANNUAL electric doesn't exceed $500. My annual gas for the furnace doesn't exceed $500. If I had to pay $500 a month for anything, that would be my incentive to move.
You think NY taxes are bad?! LOL

Maine Taxationland is no picnic... Like you, we put up with the "high" cost of living because we "mostly" like it here.
Looking forward to spending winters in Tucson, though.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
$.24 - $.26 kwh.
Glad I don't own property where you do.

Current bills on my properties...

Florida $.10 to $.13 kwh plus $1.00 per day customer chrg. 933 kw $120
Illinois $ .11 kwh 1,052 kw $102
Ohio $ .08 kwh plus fees. 313 kw $ 41
Old 02-02-2021, 10:15 AM   #17

The highest we have paid was .18 and the lowest .12 We've found very attractive monthly fees that include electricity. One CG, Natalbany Creek CG, a first class place we stay at is only $550 per month and that includes electricity.

https://www.natalbanycreekcampground.net/home.html
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Glad I don't own property where you do.

Current bills on my properties...

Florida $.10 to $.13 kwh plus $1.00 per day customer chrg. 933 kw $120
Illinois $ .11 kwh 1,052 kw $102
Ohio $ .08 kwh plus fees. 313 kw $ 41
I'm in Florida in my SB with the 10 to 13 crowd. My 24 to 26 is in MA in the campground with the commercial rates.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #19

I am also looking into camping at one site for the season. This site requires me to pay electric. The owner said it averages $35 per month but that is basically just running the fridge all week - I am hoping that would possibly include weekend stays?

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
I am also looking into camping at one site for the season. This site requires me to pay electric. The owner said it averages $35 per month but that is basically just running the fridge all week - I am hoping that would possibly include weekend stays?
It will run from $35 to $65 depending on have much gas you use. Gas is cheaper.