Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2022, 08:44 AM   #1

New Furnace, loud bang, no heat

We just got home from picking up our new 2022 199MBS. We tried the furnace 3 days ago and it ran and heated, but the CO alarm went off (though there was accidentally a plastic garbage bag partially covering it at the time) so we thought it might just be a fluke. This morning I thought we would try it again since we are home and parked for a couple of weeks. I turned on the propane and then the furnace and it immediately came on but was blowing cold air. After about 3 minutes, it was still blowing cold air and then there was a significant loud bang or explosion. The furnace continued to run and I could smell the typical fuel burn and some slightly warmer air for about a few seconds, but then cool air again. I turned off the furnace and it ran for about 2 minutes and then shut down. Now, when we picked up the RV, it was about 900' elevation and here at our home it is 8500', so are there any adjustments I can make or need to make here or what might cause that load bang?
mtjag7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:23 AM   #2

Loud bang or explosion? Co detector sounded? Sounds like it needs to be looked over by a professional.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:14 PM   #3

I would call the dealer and report the hazardous condition and insist on immediate repairs since this is something that should have been checked out before delivery to you.

AND, after they repair or replace it, insist on a demonstration before you leave their lot.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjag7 View Post
Now, when we picked up the RV, it was about 900' elevation and here at our home it is 8500', so are there any adjustments I can make or need to make here or what might cause that load bang?
There are no adjustments that I know of and they don't like high altitude. Your loud bang was probably the gas trying to ignite and it failed.

Most manufacturers of propane-burning appliances like stoves, absorption refrigerators, water heaters, and furnaces say that above 4,500-6,000 feet, the appliance may not work or should be de-rated.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjag7 View Post
so are there any adjustments I can make or need to make here or what might cause that load bang?
Pretty good reading here...
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ace-21112.html
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote