Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2018, 06:00 AM   #1

Newbie and hot water heater

I recently bought a 97 Jayco 3510 RLS 5th wheel camper. I plan to live in it while my house is remodeled. I have almost no experience with campers.

I have found tons of info about propane water heaters, but I want to run mine off AC. My best guess is somewhere there is a valve that needs to be turned on to allow water to get to the heater. I have checked inside, but cannot find anything. Does it use both propane and electric when connected to AC to heat quicker?
gubni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:28 AM   #2
Site Team

It depends! May have the option of gas, electric or both. You may have to google the model # to get the correct info.

I would not turn it on until you are knowledgeable about the usage and valves. On the back there are some valves used to bypass the wh when it is drained for cleaning or winterization. It can be damaged if water is not in the unit when powered up.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:43 AM   #3

It's too late. I thought it would be as simple as flipping switch. I'm hopeful it was on gas setting.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:10 AM   #4

Can you post a picture of the water heater after opening the outside access panel? Does it look like this?

Most models have a switch outside at the water heater. I keep mine off while prepping for transit, winterization, and setting up. Not until I have established hot water do I turn on the rocker switch.

I have and several have burned out the electrical heating element inside of the eater heater, by not ensuring the water heater tank is completely full of water.
Attached Thumbnails
165707057.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #5

Attached it a pic. When I turn the drain valve nothing happens.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180527_092338381_HDR.jpg  
Old 05-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #6

First, which 'drain' valve are you referring to?

The upper 'valve' is the over pressure safety. Turning it won't do anything. To test it you 'flip' it. Beware, on an older unit there may be enough corrosion/deposits that it might not seal again if you open it.

The drain is the fitting near the bottom. That should be a simple threaded plug. Unscrew it and it will drain. Best if water is turned off and water is not hot so no pressure is on it.

As to electric vs gas heat. Go to the control panel inside your trailer. The one that has the switches for the slides, level indicator for water/waste tanks, water pump, etc. There should be switches for the water heater, two of them. One for LP Gas Water and one for Electric Water. Yes, you can turn on both at once, handy if you need hot water faster.

PS the water heater should not have a pilot light. There is an electric ignitor that lights the propane. Several safeties are included in that circuit.

PPS there are water bypass valves for the water heater inside your trailer. Three valves usually. You need to make sure they are in the right settings. The line that connects between the hot and cold lines needs to be turned off and the other two turned on. To winterize it is the reverse (and then you drain the water from the heater using that 'plug' on the outside.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #7

The drain is a petcock at the bottom of the tank.

Is this the control you are referring to?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180527_195049445.jpg  
Old 05-30-2018, 06:33 AM   #8

No. The control panel inside the trailer where you turn on or off the water pump, extend slides, etc.

Should be right next to the entry door.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:49 AM   #9

I found it. I had to crawl in the cargo area. The valves were there and the switch was also.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #10

There should be a control panel inside the trailer. Where do you see the meter that shows fresh water tank level and battery condition? Even in my very old MH that is where the switch was for the water pump and propane water heater. The electric switch for the water heater was a 'lighted' light switch on the wall above the oven.