Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #1

Nightmare Friday the 13th

So as we were about to enter the campground we were going to this weekend, my truck totally cuts out. It would not restart just sat there cranking. I was sat in the middle of the road blocking the entrance to the park (people were able to get around me, including a guy in a ram with a Jayco 32bhds who managed to turn around the front of me). I was able to be pulled over to the side of the road, did some light diagnostics to no avail, so called for a tow truck. We were not that far from home so my father in law came and got the wife, kid and dog. We towed the truck to the nearest dealer who will diagnose the truck on Monday. We towed the trailer back to the storage yard and managed to get hit on the way home, the damage to the trailer is only light but needs to be resolved, which is not possible to take care of due to having no tow vehicle.

I am near the point where the truck feels like a money pit and my wife is past that point. My wife specifically wants me to buy a brand new truck, so a new 6.7 something will be in my future, now to figure out if that is a ford f250 or Ram 2500 (A post on the Tow Vehicle forum I think)

Camping this year for us has been cursed, the truck needed repair earlier in the year that cause a trip cancellation, we had a UK trip in the early summer so we did not book as many trips anyway, then a family friend passed away so we went to his funerial instead of the next trip we had planned and now this one. The final trip we planned to make is unlikely until we can get the trailer fixed.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:08 AM   #2

Man that is rough. On the positive side your family stayed safe during that breakdown and that’s the most important thing that happened.

Good luck and I hope the repairs are quick and affordable!
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Sounds like the HPOP, high pressure oil pump. A buddy with a 06-6.0PSD jsu had to replace his. Mine was several years ago.

Glad no one was hurt. Some trips are better than others!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #4

I can totally relate (well...on behalf of my son-in-law). He completed residency and the kids wanted both parents to go to New York in our motorhomes, then we would caravan back together to Oregon/Washington in an "Epic Vacation". He bought a used Duramax with 1xx,xxx miles. I jokingly told him I would bring my tool box (I raz all my kids about their vehicles...but felt bad on this one).

Made it to Winchester VA with problems along the way. Took it to the dealer for repairs and after a $5K repair estimate (related to fuel pump or some such) he traded for a new Duramax. His family is GM centric, I tend to be "whats the best deal" centric, but the new truck finished the trip in style, but did not help their wallet much and was a big source of stress for most of the trip.

Sorry for your issues, but glad you weren't 3,000 miles from home.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:05 AM   #5

..........snip..........
When you say the HPFP do you mean the fuel pump or oil pump, not sure by reading. From the codes it could be a bad wiring harness, or it could be the IPR , it also could be the HPOP, or FICM. The FICM was rebuilt about 3 years ago and has a lifetime warranty on it from FICMRepair. The HPOP was replaced by me this year with a Dieselsite HPOP which is still under warranty.

Tomorrow the ford tech will diagnose and then I will go from there. The only thing I am sure of is it will not be cheap as nothing is cheap on the 6.0.
.................................................. ...............................................

Sorry, typo. HPOP is what mine was and my buddies. Also they recommend replacing all the sensors along with the HPOP.

I sure hope it is a simple fix....and less of a hit to the pocket book.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 09-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99336 View Post
Sorry for your issues, but glad you weren't 3,000 miles from home.
Yeah 3,000 miles from home would have been so much worse, I feel really bad for anyone that happens to, it was lucky my father in law was able to come and get the wife and kid.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 09-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #7

Boy do I know how you feel.

We took a camping trip to Colorado (1,000 miles from home) with relatives. Our diesel jeep engine #1 fuel injector locked full open and ruined the engine before we figured out what was going on. A replacement long block and install took 4 weeks plus to figure out. We imposed on relatives during that period because we kept getting " it will be done in a few days" from the shop.

Needless to say, when I bought a replacement tow vehicle I got one that I could buy the extended warranty on. Don't buy it from your dealer if you can find the vehicle brand warranty from competing shops. I saved about a $1,000 by buying mine from a different dealer!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
Site Team

I also feel your pain. When my HPOP went out, My wife was very sick and we were coming home from Florida early and the truck shut off in the middle of an intersection. We were stuck there in a parking lot for 2 days while the pump was replaced before we could complete our trip home.

I was determined to get another truck until I priced a few!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #9

Glad everybody is safe. While travelling back home to N MN a few years ago we had a fuel pump go out 1-1/2 hours from our destination. With the help of my sister, we made it home without the vehicle. Had the truck towed to the nearest garage, and 3 days later with a thousand dollar bill got a call that we were good to go. I feel your pain. Thankfully, we did not have the TT in tow.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #10

Well I got a new truck in my other thread in the tow vehicles section (https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post793000) I added a picture.
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog