Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #1

Order from factory or what's on dealer's lot???

Hey everyone, new to the forum but have owned pop-ups, TTs and a Class C.
Now that the kids are grown and retirement is just up the road, we are back looking for our next motorhome. Won't bore you with the details but we are between a Class C diesel or a larger Class A gasser. Will do a lot of travel but will mostly hit Nat'l and State parks, etc so don't want anything over 32' to limit us.
Anyway, I'm aware that it's hit or miss with quality. So my question is, do folks who have ordered a unit from the factory find that the quality of the build was better than what was seen on the lot?
I guess my thinking is they might pay a little better attention to the build process if it is a customer order, rather than just going to some dealer's lot.......
What do you think?

Thanks
dmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't think it make any difference. They build them all the same.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Unless you can't find a specific model, I actually think that you are better off buying off of the lot at this point. That way, you can inspect the quality in person while you are shopping and not be stuck with a unit that you put money down on coming in with all sorts of issues.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #4

Buying off the lot you may get a better price than a factory order.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #5

If it's a dealer lot order they get built better because they still have to sell it, customer orders have been sold already
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #6
Site Team

I bought my last Jayco off the lot at a steep discount. It has been virtually trouble free except for normal maintenance and wear and tear for 7 years.

I have ordered one built for me (sob) and there are always surprises. Something you see listed may be discontinued or changed by the time you get it. I liked seeing what I was buying before I bought it.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #7

We've done both ways. Our '93 Jayco 2018 pop-up was ordered and so was our old ''03 Kiwi 17a hybrid. Our current X20E hybrid was off the lot. I'd say quality was about the same. Never had anything major wrong and all 3 units were pretty solid overall. All 3 did have a number of small issues that I fixed myself, things like doors not quite lined up right, misaligned dead bolt on both hybrids, a few loose screws on the interior, that sort of thing. Price has more to do with when you buy then whether it's ordered or not. We actually didn't get a great price on our X20E because we bought it in mid-may.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #8

Quality does not matter.

I prefer buying off the lot for two reasons. First, I get to inspect the unit closely before deciding. Look behind drawers, sit on the furniture, stand in all the regular places, etc. See if it really 'fits'.

Second, dealers discount units depending on how long they sit on the lot. The longer it sits the more they will knock the price down. Of course you run the risk of someone buying it before the price drops too much, especially these days.

Downside is the units on the lot may not have the options you want.

Factory workers don't care (and probably don't know) if the unit is going to a dealer or if it is special order so build quality will be the same. They just have a build sheet for the unit they are working on.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #9

Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Unless you can't find a specific model, I actually think that you are better off buying off of the lot at this point. That way, you can inspect the quality in person while you are shopping and not be stuck with a unit that you put money down on coming in with all sorts of issues.
X2 for me - I want to be able to spend time checking the unit and knowing exactly what I’m getting before offering a price!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies. Kinda what I was feeling as well, but wanted to check with those who have ordered one.
dmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #11

Neither; go used.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Either way you look at, it falls on the buyer's shoulders on what he excepts driving off the lot.

Perform a detailed PDI (advise dealer in advance) and hold firm that the resulting PDI punch list be addressed to your satisfaction before signing any documents (and payment) and driving the RV off the lot.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Neither; go used.
That's the route I go. Haven't ever bought new, only used trailers. Popup, travel and now fifth.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:50 AM   #14

That is a good point.

Our two previous RVs were used and we had ZERO problems with them from the start.

Our new trailer had several smaller problems we had to fix along the way. All due to poor assembly work. Loose water connections at sink, Wiring routed wrong (wiring looped over a moving shaft), poor water connection at a joint, screws installed where there was nothing to hold them, etc.

The only real 'design' issue was the drawer bottoms and drawer support mounts. They were all fixed after our first trip on a rough interstate.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Neither; go used.
Have to agree on this... Find something that is under two years old and has very little use. The previous owner has taken the hit on the initial depreciation and has had all the build issues fixed by then.

We took the same practice... purchased a "used" seneca with 9,000 miles that still had the RV show paraphernalia in the cabinets and the Features of the rig on the Refrigerator door.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #16
Site Team

I would not rule out a used unit. Just use the dame rules for grocery shopping. Don't go shopping while hungry.
A poor floor plan will haunt you for a long time if it does not meet your needs no matter how good the deal is.

Same with a poorly maintained unit. Know what you are buying.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 09-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
A poor floor plan will haunt you for a long time if it does not meet your needs no matter how good the deal is..
^ ^ ^ ^
The best advice yet.

We wrote a list of "Must Have" and "Must NOT have" before and while we were shopping... almost all were relative to the floor plan.

We had firm considerations such as:
Plumbing can't be in a slide out
Bedroom slide must come out passenger side
Have to be able to load/unload 95% with slides IN
Have to have 100% access to Bathroom, Pantry and fridge with all slides closed.
Fridge has to be vented out the roof (not the wall)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #18

I generally like buying off the lot becuse I can see and touch the actual real machine I am buying. Then get to play with it within a few days.

Special orders take time. Then more time. Then are delayed by weather, labor unrest and just plain poor planning.

But the advice of "Know what you want and what you DON'T want" is much more important!

Then consider how much compromise you are willing to do.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
^ ^ ^ ^
The best advice yet.

We wrote a list of "Must Have" and "Must NOT have" before and while we were shopping... almost all were relative to the floor plan.

We had firm considerations such as:
Plumbing can't be in a slide out
Bedroom slide must come out passenger side
Have to be able to load/unload 95% with slides IN
Have to have 100% access to Bathroom, Pantry and fridge with all slides closed.
Fridge has to be vented out the roof (not the wall)
We had a list as well. This was our first fiver so if we were doing it again there would probably be more items on the list.

We wanted:
cloth upholstery - neither of us like the pleather they use
queen bed - king takes too much room and we like each other anyway
able to get to fridge, sink, bathroom and sleep on the bed - all with the slides in
reasonable CCap but I'd like more next time
next one will be shorter, 40' is too long
4 dr fridge was required

We're still mulling going to a DP MH in the 36-40' range (40' MH is easier than a 40' fiver) so we can tow something but a fiver has more usable space for the same length
Old 09-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatt13 View Post
Hey everyone, new to the forum but have owned pop-ups, TTs and a Class C. We are between a Class C diesel or a larger Class A gasser. So my question is, do folks who have ordered a unit from the factory find that the quality of the build was better than what was seen on the lot?
I guess my thinking is they might pay a little better attention to the build process if it is a customer order, rather than just going to some dealer's lot.......
What do you think?

Thanks
Welcome to the JOF. Unless you are ordering a Newell or Prevost or similar high end coach you will be getting a rig that is built utilizing the assembly line process regardless of whether you order it or buy it off a dealers lot. Even Tiffin or Newmar customers who place custom orders experience build issues. That is why many of them pay extra so they can pick their new unit up at the factory and spend up to a week there using all the systems and have a tech assigned to them to take care of any and all issues. Just do your homework, set your budget and as previously mentioned make sure you like the floor plan. You can perform a lot of mods but a new floor plan isn’t one of them. Whether you purchase new or used, gas or diesel, A or C is a decision only you can make regardless of what all of us think. So gather all the information you can, search other forums, read up on the coaches you are interested in and when you drive your new to you rig for the first time you won’t have any regrets. Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.