Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2022, 11:06 AM   #1

Power Awning and Wind Speed

Our new Jay Feather 24RL is the first rig of any type we've owned with a power awning, a 20 footer. All previous rigs had the manual type which seemed to have much more "robust" arms and mounting. Got used to using ratchet straps as a precaution, at each end, using stakes, or picnic tables to tie to.
Owners manual is very vague, and even googling only comes up with "in periods of high wind, ect ect ect"
I realize common sense has a lot to do, but at about what wind speed is it generally safe for the awning to remain out ?
Obviously it will not be left out when we're away from the rig.
And do any of you use any type of ratchet straps or tie-downs as an xtra safety measure ? I plan on using them, but just wanted to get the general consensus.
2022 Jayco Jay Feather 24RL
Grumpaw374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:18 AM   #2

In my experience, it is not only about the wind speed but is also about the wind direction. For example if your front door (awning side of the RV) is facing South and the wind is from the North then your awning can handle the wind better 10~15 mph, however if the front door is facing into the wind then 5~10 mph winds could be an issue. For me, I usually only have the awning out if the winds are light ~5 mph or maybe 10 if they are not directly towards the awning. My previous awnings were manual and I did use tie downs at times, however I read on my powered awning not to use tie-downs, perhaps someone can provide more details as to why, however I don't tie the awning down as recommended on mine and I don't have it out when the winds are above 5~10 mph. ~CA
Old 04-19-2022, 11:36 AM   #3

I think 10 mph sustained is too strong. I usually stay on the safe side and bring them in. They can handle the occasional gust, but not for long periods of time. When they start buffeting, bring them in.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:59 AM   #4

I left mine rolled out as a tornado went over us about 200 yds away but beer may have been involved. Good news no damage to awning or the pop up canopy we kept from blowin away. Wife an a buddy of mine did stand under it using a broom to keep he rain water from weighing it down cause it was sagging left alone.

Do it again you ask, not a chance. It didn't dawn on me until after the fact I should of rolled it up. Then I counted my blessings.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:28 AM   #5

I wouldn't suggest tie downs, they will give you a false sense of security and you will leave them out when you shouldn't. We get strong gust a lot, so I bring them in when they start flapping. Not worth the risk of losing them and not having them on the nice days.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:11 AM   #6

I have had my new jayco with the power awning for 2 yrs now and its been in more that its been out (Awning). At any sign of flapping, I bring it in.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:47 AM   #7

I’m not much of a gambler, so if there’s even a small chance of damage, I roll ours in. Some times are automatic: If we leave the coach for any length of time, if it’s noticeably breezy or winds are predicted. I also roll it almost all the way up at night unless I’m absolutely certain there is no chance of wind.

Other times are more of a “gut feeling” such as an occasional gust or stormy weather on the horizon. As the previous person said, it is also a matter of wind direction. I’ve left ours down during decent rains (no wind) but always make sure I tip one corner so it drains off on its own. I haven’t used anchor straps. If those are needed, its too windy to have it out. Plus, many campgrounds won’t let you screw anchors into the ground, or it’s too hard anyway.

All this is to say, when in doubt, DON’T leave it out.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:14 AM   #8

Thanks for the input. Just trying to get some idea as to when and at what wind speed I should bring it in.
This is our first power awning in 9 other rigs in 51 years...all others had manual. Haven't lost an awning yet, and didn.t want this one to be the first !!! It's just the info on retracting is so vague as to be non-existent"...retract during high wind".
Nice about the power is that it simply takes the push of a button to retract it !!!
2022 Jayco Jay Feather 24RL
Grumpaw374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:37 AM   #9

I also use the straps/anchors on my power awning. However I don't cinch them down tight; I leave them just barely taught. My thought process is I don't want them pulling down on the electronic awning, but I want them there should the awning want to pull UP.

I pull the awning in if my awning starts pulling on the straps. Simple as that.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:19 PM   #10

I've seen quite a few seasonal units with the newer type awnings strapped down, presumably without issue.

To me, it's not worth the hassle or the risk. On the older manual awnings, it was easy to attach the straps before raising the awning into position. Not so much on power awnings. For a weekend outing, I'll pass on getting out a step ladder.

I always considered myself over cautious when it comes to rolling the awnings in, reading this thread I'm not feeling so neurotic.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:26 PM   #11

I had mine out in 10 to 15 MPH gusty breezes without issue, but as @craigav said and I agree, that it comes down to wind direction, and how sustained those winds are. Actually, for me the real issue is when the full wall slide is out along with the awning on a breezy day the whole RV will rock as the awning being buffeted up creates a sail effect that I don't like, so I just bring it in. Good times!
fnlvr234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:59 PM   #12

While camping in our previous unit with the power awning, there was no winds or no projected storms. Out of nowhere there was one heck of a wind and the awning flipped onto the roof. We lucked out there was no damage, but the awning material had to be rearranged on the roller.

Some, not all power awnings, supposedly have a rain sensor in them to dump the rain when it bends too much. As much as DW would love to set under the awning in a gentle rain (not tornado weather), she doesn't want to take any chances of it collapsing. And if there is a rain sensor, then the tie downs could cause issues.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:06 PM   #13

I always angle my awning down and slanted aft if there is rain. Runs right off the corner.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
While camping in our previous unit with the power awning, there was no winds or no projected storms. Out of nowhere there was one heck of a wind and the awning flipped onto the roof. We lucked out there was no damage, but the awning material had to be rearranged on the roller.

Some, not all power awnings, supposedly have a rain sensor in them to dump the rain when it bends too much. As much as DW would love to set under the awning in a gentle rain (not tornado weather), she doesn't want to take any chances of it collapsing. And if there is a rain sensor, then the tie downs could cause issues.
On my last Jayco, a 2012 Skylark the power awning dumped excess water by semi-collapsing one of the gas springs on the awning arms. It would tilt one way or the other, depending how level your camper was. Worked by weight of water . Actually worked well.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
On my last Jayco, a 2012 Skylark the power awning dumped excess water by semi-collapsing one of the gas springs on the awning arms. It would tilt one way or the other, depending how level your camper was. Worked by weight of water . Actually worked well.
My awnings have the dump feature as well, but I don't rely on it. If away, or in for the night, the awnings come in. If sitting outside, I add a tilt to each awning. The awnings on our North Point are so much easier to tilt then they were on our Eagle.

I sometimes will also sometimes roll the awnings in a tad. Don't know if it makes a difference, but it makes me feel better.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #16

I have the power awning on my current unit but if I had the choice I would go back to the manual models I've had in the past. They were much more robust in the wind. As soon as I see the wind popping the awning in it comes. As a result it gets put out very rarely. In fact I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there. The only positive factor is that it is easy to pull it in.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:52 PM   #17

We rarely use the awning and if it needs to be guyed down, we bring it in.

In 50 years of tenting I always put a bungee on all guy lines so the tent could stretch and move in the wind without tearing seams or loops. I'd do the same if I guyed my trailer awning.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:39 PM   #18

A few years ago, I saw dark clouds approaching from a distance, and immediately pushed the button to bring my awning in. I then went to check the windows on my car, and in that instant there was a gust of wind. I watched as my neighbor's awning flipped over onto his roof. It happened so fast. It was an older style manual awning and the wind hit it just right. The arms were mangled. He was leaving the next morning, and he had lots of trouble getting it tied up so he could travel. I'm not totally paranoid about our awning, but I sure am a lot more careful after seeing that.
oldbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbat View Post
A few years ago, I saw dark clouds approaching from a distance, and immediately pushed the button to bring my awning in. I then went to check the windows on my car, and in that instant there was a gust of wind. I watched as my neighbor's awning flipped over onto his roof. It happened so fast. It was an older style manual awning and the wind hit it just right. The arms were mangled. He was leaving the next morning, and he had lots of trouble getting it tied up so he could travel. I'm not totally paranoid about our awning, but I sure am a lot more careful after seeing that.
I've seen the same thing happen to a couple of the electric awnings. They can't take much of a gust without damage but these were totally destroyed in a matter of seconds with no warning. Pieces of the frame and cover were spread over several spots. That's why mine stays up most of the time. Gusts sometimes come out of nowhere.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:28 PM   #20

I agree about manual being better. My electric has not been out in over 2 years. You cannot react quick enough to a wind gust. If I could buy a trailer with no awning i would do it. Too bad the manufactures cannot make a decent awning.
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote