Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2020, 06:51 PM   #1

Power washer

Looking for a good power washer to use on the TT, the pickup, the deck, vinyl siding of house etc. Under $175. Reccomendations please.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:15 PM   #2

I bought an Electric Greenworks from Lowes an I like it. Having to plug it in might not seem ideal to some but for me that doesn't need it that often it's one less gasoline engine I have to keep up with
Old 03-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post
Looking for a good power washer to use on the TT, the pickup, the deck, vinyl siding of house etc. Under $175. Reccomendations please.
If it doesn’t need to be brand new, research what you want in a pressure washer then look on CL or Fakebook Market place. I bought a Simpson Megawash 3200PSI 2.5 GPM with a Honda engine for $125 off CL, the unit was basically brand new ($400). If you do buy a used unit make sure you see it work, especially being in WI. You just wanna make sure it was winterized. The benefits of a higher end pressure washer allow you to clean, rinse and wash with multiple pressure options by using different tips.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:52 PM   #4

I would never use a power washer on my TT but thats just me. It’s hard enough just to keep the rain out.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #5

Have a Sears gas pressure washer that is a bit overpowered for car washing. Had a problem with it so bought a cheap electric one from Amazon. Finally threw it out because it would keep falling over when I moved the hose.

Finally bought a Ryobi electric one from Home Depot and it works very well. I also bought a 50 foot hose for it so I don't have to drag the thing around the motor home.

I also have a pressure washer foam canon the sprays gobs of foam out that I used a few times. Now I just use soap in the pressure washer soap tank. Works OK.

Pressure washers tend to only get off the easy to remove dirt. To really clean it I spray the soap on and have my wife use a long handle brush to scrub the side and then I spray it off with clear water from the pressure washer. This works the best.

The soap I purchased is suppose to include car wax in it and whether it really adds anything to the wash job is up for debate.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I would never use a power washer on my TT but thats just me. It’s hard enough just to keep the rain out.
Depending on the nozzle used it's not that bad. A 15 or 25 degree nozzle is less pin pin point force than a garden hose sprayer. An I spray even with or downward on my aluminum sided trailer so I'm not shooting the water upward into the seams.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Depending on the nozzle used it's not that bad. A 15 or 25 degree nozzle is less pin pin point force than a garden hose sprayer. An I spray even with or downward on my aluminum sided trailer so I'm not shooting the water upward into the seams.

Agreed, we use ours all the time and have never had an issue. Just use the proper nozzle and it won't be a problem.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:18 PM   #8

WARNING: cranky reply

Power washers seem to be over-used.

On our recent month long stay in Mobile, AL, our neighbor two sites down, used his power washer to clean the concrete pad in front of his trailer. Took a few hours. Thanks, pal.

Every now and then some @$#%$ in our marina will decide a pressure washer is the best way to clean a boat. There is no cleaner boat in the marina than my Catalina 28 sailboat, and it's never been near a power washer. The marina neighbor's boat is an eyesore that required several hours of washing with a power washer. He started with faded, filthy fiberglass and ended with faded, filthy fiberglass.

I'm sure there are jobs that are better done with a power washer, but there are plenty of cases where the proper cleaning product and brush will do the job just as well or better, without the noise, and in less time.

Cleaning the side of an RV, in my opinion, should not require a power washer. If you can do it where others can't hear you, knock yourself out.

And, don't get me started on gas powered leaf blowers.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:45 PM   #9

Siamese if you have had back surgery an still have 5 herniated disk then I take ur unfounded rant for what its worth.....a penny. There's nothin wrong with using a power washer to spray soap onto a vehicle or a camper them rinse it off. It sure beats spending an hour or so to do it then be laid up 5 hrs for it if not longer. Is a power washer my tool of choice no. But if I prefer to stand up straight for the next day or so an have a clean vehicle or camper so be it. Same with a leaf blower. If I was as healthy as you I would hand rake my 3/4 acre yard full if 5 100ft tall hard woods but since I ain't I'll run that gas fed leaf blower for hours on end. And I smile doin it
Enjoy your good health an may you never see the day that 30 minutes of work creates a less than desirable value of life for hrs or days on end.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #10

Whoa...back up the truck. I never advocated taking tools away from the infirm.

The people I've seen, and reference in my "cranky reply", were perfectly capable of doing their cleaning by conventional, quiet means. They just chose the wrong tool, and had a disregard for others. I've had too much exposure to this rude behavior for my rant to be "unfounded".
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #11
CAG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #12
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

The people I've seen, and reference in my "cranky reply", were perfectly capable of doing their cleaning by conventional, quiet means. They just chose the wrong tool, and had a disregard for others. I've had too much exposure to this rude behavior for my rant to be "unfounded".
Your rant is more about the people than the tool. The OP's question had to do with a tool.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Have a Sears gas pressure washer that is a bit overpowered for car washing. Had a problem with it so bought a cheap electric one from Amazon. Finally threw it out because it would keep falling over when I moved the hose.

Finally bought a Ryobi electric one from Home Depot and it works very well. I also bought a 50 foot hose for it so I don't have to drag the thing around the motor home.

I also have a pressure washer foam canon the sprays gobs of foam out that I used a few times. Now I just use soap in the pressure washer soap tank. Works OK.

Pressure washers tend to only get off the easy to remove dirt. To really clean it I spray the soap on and have my wife use a long handle brush to scrub the side and then I spray it off with clear water from the pressure washer. This works the best.

The soap I purchased is suppose to include car wax in it and whether it really adds anything to the wash job is up for debate.
Hi and thanks for the reply, do you recall what model you got?
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #14

Power Washer

I have power pressure washer. Don't use it on my TT or my house. House is aluminum with paint. It works great on wood decks and steps. Just me.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #15

Here is what I use.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:46 PM   #16

I use the worx battery powered power washer is not too powerful but it does a great job and you don't have to worry about the plug
dmeggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet & Marie View Post

I have 2 electric Royobi’s from HD. One is a small little square one with no wheels. It’s easy to carry around and store on the RV.

Just don’t leave any power washer out in the elementals to freeze, you will crack the casing on it and it will be NG! Found out the hard way by lending one to a friend whom left it in his truck overnight in freezings weather!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

My favorite is the start of Fall when the people would come out at the seasonal campground and fire up their leaf blowers first thing in the morning. They’d all spend the whole morning blowing leaves back and forth into each other’s sites. Eventually the roads and drives would be huge rows and piles of leaves that got blown back into campsites when the wind kicked up that evening. Unless we were lucky enough that they’d all burn the leaves in their fire pits making a smoky haze hover all weekend.

Sorry, a bit off topic, just wanted to know your not alone lol
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #19

I use a lite duty electric one from harbor freight. I don’t need high pressure for most jobs around the house so it works out good. I like not having to mess with the gas engine and the electricity is convenient for plug and play. One of the good features is the unit is protected with GFI (ground fault interrupter) circuit so I shouldn’t have to ride the lightning for more than a millisecond!
Lazyl is offline   Reply With Quote