Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #41
Site Team

JimD Lots of snips.... "I have seen responses to questions from members that appear to be well versed in electronics and I enjoy reading their hints. Kindred spirits I guess.
it returned 500 posts. Where would you even begin?

I actually enjoy helping out. Maybe I am a mutant.[/QUOTE]

Exxxactly my thoughts. I'll join your mutant thingy!!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #42

Re: Operating the frig on propane while traveling

I have a 17 TS37 and had the same question. The RV owners manual and Norcold operating manual do not contain any information other then the owners manual has a statement that some states require propane devices be shut off when going through tunnels.

I checked the manufactures site and found they state it's OK to travel with the frig operating on propane. Here's a link to their website: https://thenorcoldguy.com/norcold-te...ng-is-it-safe/.

I plan to continue traveling while operating the frig on propane. My propane tank also has a safety feature that, should you rupture a line and have a sudden release of pressure, a check valve closes so gas is not released from the tank.

Hope this helps
11ncounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
....I believe there has to be an easier way. People most often ask "what do I do when my xxx doesn't work?" This could easily be address by adding another section to the forum named something like common troubleshooting. Under that heading may be individual posts on battery charging, inverter problems, ac problems, water leakage problems, how to use a multi-meter and many others.

With a separate troubleshooting section maybe the number of articles to be looked at for an answer would be more manageable.....

How can we get this to happen?

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #44

I’m very disappointed in this thread.
This topic and proper use of black and gray tanks is always such an entertaining discussion.
But this time, not a single one of the anti propane while driving crowd joined in.
GJegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #45

As long as the engine is running or the sun is shinning I can run the fridge off of the inverter no problem, that being said I have run off of propane while traveling many times. There are many safety devices on a propane system, plus I added a ARP over temp boiler shutoff and fan controller. To drive for hours without the fridge working is to invite spoiled milk and food, and horror of horrors warm BEER!!
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #46

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
As a retired electronic technician I actually enjoy using my expertise to help others. The troubleshooting that comes second nature to me often is totally Greek to newbies. I have seen responses to questions from members that appear to be well versed in electronics and I enjoy reading their hints. Kindred spirits I guess.

It appears that many of the same questions get asked about every few days. I believe it may be due to what happens when you try to search a topic. I input a search for battery not charging and it returned 500 posts. Where would you even begin?

It is far easier for a newbie, or even someone like myself who has only been here for a couple of years, to simply ask the question of the forum. This most often will get the results you want. You may not know the answer has been given already a hundred times.

I believe there has to be an easier way. People most often ask "what do I do when my xxx doesn't work?" This could easily be address by adding another section to the forum named something like common troubleshooting. Under that heading may be individual posts on battery charging, inverter problems, ac problems, water leakage problems, how to use a multi-meter and many others.

With a separate troubleshooting section maybe the number of articles to be looked at for an answer would be more manageable. When I help someone troubleshoot an electrical problem most often I am saying the exact thing that I said previously. I almost want to copy and paste my answers.

OK, I will come down from my soapbox. This all comes from my years in tech service where I had to help other techs with the same problems over and over. I feel that I haven't really retired and to be honest, I actually enjoy helping out. Maybe I am a mutant.
And while I've never needed (yet) to ask an electrical question, I can't tell you how much I've appreciated the time spent by those like yourself who've been kind enough to offer responses to my few questions. As a mechanical engineer and former helicopter mechanic, I've been exposed to all sorts of interesting mechanical/electrical/HVAC equipment and issues. However, RVs are a completely unique breed of cat in many respects. It's important to address problems promptly and correctly and while searching (either here or using a search engine) can usually help, sometimes it just doesn't. Imagine being stumped by something as simple (to experienced RVrs) as "why does my bathroom smell?" Patience is indeed a virtue, and while it can be annoying to see some who appear lazy, it may truly be that they've attempted to find the solution and have simply come up empty-handed. And, by the way, even these forums are a unique thing to many novice computer users who have never done anything but clicked on links via Windows. We all learn differently and at different rates. Thanks to those who always seem to have the compassion for others and the memory of what it's like to be the new kid.

Oh...I always travel with the fridge on propane. With my 1998 Prowler and now with the 2016 Jayco. So far, so good.

Travel safely.
OklahomaCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #47

We keep our camper plugged in most of the time. A couple of days before we go out we start fridge. We switch to gas as we travel. Because of a tip from friends we have started freezing about a half gallon block of ice (milk container) and placing in fridge to help keep things cool as well.
Charlie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #48

Yep, always on

10 years with an 86 Airstream, and now almost 6 years with the Jayco 287BHBE, always travel with the fridge running on propane. Now with the Airstream, sometimes it would blow out if the crosswinds were too bad, but the Jayco has never had a flame out.

Why? Because it takes just short of 2 days for the thing to get cold enough to keep ice frozen, and who wants to go on a shopping expedition as soon as you hit camp? Geeze! So we start the fridge up 2 days before departure, once it's cold we put what ever we want in it for the trip, and that's that!

So there you have it.

cactus
cjack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #49

We have done it both ways with no problems. We do use electric the day before we leave to get cooler down to temperature. Salesman told us to that and then we could even leave it off when traveling as it will stay cold enough for most in-state travel trips. Have never had a problem.
First Time Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJegstrup View Post
I’m very disappointed in this thread.
This topic and proper use of black and gray tanks is always such an entertaining discussion.
But this time, not a single one of the anti propane while driving crowd joined in.
I am in the no propane crowd! Not because I am anti but because it is not necessary ..
For us.

In the olden days did you just add ice to the cooler? It would be freaky to add the amount needed for a residential size frig!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #51

We always run with the frig on. No problems. Isn’t gasoline more explosive than propane? Maybe it’s time to get that diesel. Lol
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #52

As soon as you get that diesel gas prices will drop and diesel fuel will go up.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #53
CAL

We always run the frig while traveling (Redhawk). We mainly run on propane but occasionally will run the generator. We do have to turn the propane and generator off when we use the ferries around Washington state.
CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #54

I am in with the propane on while traveling crowd.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:36 AM   #55

The comment that liquid propane freezes at -40°f got my attention. A quick Google search confirms that comment. I offer antidotal experience to the contrary. I do not recall any propane problems at -50°f below. I had a Maytag dealership that included installing propane ranges and propane dryers at 59°43'26”N x 157°16'22"W. We frequently achieved temperatures below -40°f in the 1970’s and 1980’s. My intent is only to share my experience with this thread with respect. Disclaimer: ‘tis not my intent to troll, demean, or diminish the opinions of others.
Arctic Bos'un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Bos'un View Post
The comment that liquid propane freezes at -40°f got my attention. A quick Google search confirms that comment. I offer antidotal experience to the contrary. I do not recall any propane problems at -50°f below. I had a Maytag dealership that included installing propane ranges and propane dryers at 59°43'26”N x 157°16'22"W. We frequently achieved temperatures below -40°f in the 1970’s and 1980’s. My intent is only to share my experience with this thread with respect. Disclaimer: ‘tis not my intent to troll, demean, or diminish the opinions of others.
I think you're saying that you read that propane quits working (evaporating) at -40°, not freezes. It freezes around -300° or so. At -40° to -45°, propane will quit producing fumes at the surface, which we use to operate our appliances. Propane (as with petroleum products) don't burn in a liquid state, only in a gas state. It's the same with our campfires. The wood is heated to a point where gases are driven out of the wood that will burn (since wood in solid form does not burn).

Your experience with -50° propane cannot be disputed. It may be that the body of liquid propane in the pressurised container was still above -40° while the elements that were at -50° had not "chilled" the propane down just yet to the -50°temp you had. Either way, let's keep camping.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:26 AM   #57

Have always traveled with it on and will continue to do so.

also, don't pay attention to those that responded with " not again" or " here we go again" and only provide snide remarks. I don't understand why if a person is not going to respond politely why respond at all.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:19 AM   #58

Mine barely stays cold enough while running, not going to shut it off
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:46 AM   #59

We're leaving in about an hour for a 500 mile trip to Reno. The frig is packed, my ice cream is in the freezer, the water tank is full with 65 gallons of water and the frig is running on gas. If the frig catches fire it will be on the evening news....
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #60

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp877 View Post

also, don't pay attention to those that responded with " not again" or " here we go again" and only provide snide remarks. I don't understand why if a person is not going to respond politely why respond at all.
+1 on that
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote