Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2018, 06:53 AM   #1

Seamless windows

How do you feel about seamless windows ?? I don’t understand them, they don’t open but a crack. Your camping outdoors you want fresh air and to hear the birds ! If you have them , do you love or hate them ?
Dauntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:51 AM   #2

Welcome to JOF Dauntie

We have the frameless windows and like them. They can be left open with no worries of rain wetting the area inside the rig. While not a breeze that blows the napkins off the table, there is airflow. I’m typing this and listening to chirping birds.

I’m guessing you’re in process of shopping for a camper. Folks here are great with sound advise so ask away.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #3

I don't really hate the frameless windows, but prefer the airflow of the framed windows.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
I don't really hate the frameless windows, but prefer the airflow of the framed windows.
What he ^^^ said. We have some of each type in our TT. We have good air flow through the framed windows when we are there and some air flow through the frameless windows when sleeping or gone for a while.

Not on topic, but fans and covers for our two ceiling vents make some airflow ALWAYS possible with either window type.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:50 PM   #5

Our current trailer is the first one we've had with the frameless windows. At first we were a little leery of them--'cause they looked more fragile and didn't seem to open quite a wide as the framed windows. Overtime, we gotten quite used to them though---they're more rugged than they look. Although cross ventilation is not as good as framed windows it's more than satisfactory. We've gotten to prefer the clean, modern look they provide on the outside.

Another plus with the frameless window: there is no exposed rubber trim on the outside like you find on framed windows. Although probably not an issue for folks farther north, in hotter, desert climes this completely exposed rubber trim on framed windows deteriorates, cracks, and deforms (out of position) in just 1-2 years. The rubber trim on the frameless windows is sandwiched between the back side of the glass and the window frame/exterior wall of the trailer and isn't exposed directly to the elements nearly as much. IMO, it's probably more likely to remain in position over a much longer period of time.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #6

We love ours. We had them on our previous TT and now have them on our FW. It is nice to be able to leave them open during a nice gentle rain.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:12 PM   #7

We do a lot of dry camping so running the fans would be a drain on the batteries.
Dauntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #8

Your camping so the more open things can be the better. Stick to what works, not what looks better. I wish they’d make a camper with entire sides that fold up. Sort of like houses that have a wall that folds away to encourage more indoor/outdoor living.
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #9

We have the frameless and love them. IMHO, plenty of airflow with them. We’re backed up to the ocean tonight and I can hear the waves lapping the shore.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #10

I like framed windows, but, I prefer the ones hinged at the top so they can be open during a rain.

But, I would go for double pane windows, no matter which type of framing you get.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #11

We like ours. At first, we thought we would not be happy with the lack of airflow, but it has not been bad at all. One problem we did have is that one broke on the road.

It must have caught a rock in just the right place, and it shattered. The car behind us got beside us and let us know it happened. It's tempered glass, like the side windows on your car, so it broke into a thousand little pieces. We finished the trip (in Sept/Nov in Colorado and Wyoming) with a piece of carpet plastic over the bedroom window opening that I got at Sonny's RV in Casper, WY.

When we got home, I had one made at a glass shop, and they did a terrible job. They had it tempered, but didn't understand the frameless part. The edges and rounded corners were not finished, even after I took one of the other windows in to show them what I needed. Wasted $150. I got a replacement through Jayco and my dealer, Humphrey RV in Grand Junction, CO.
Empty nesters - traded bunk beds for recliners

States camped in:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic50318_3.gif
Tom51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:14 AM   #12

Love them, it’s raining right now and if I had framed windows I’d have zero airflow because they’d be shut. You still have privacy with them open because they are tinted dark, framed windows once open is just a screen. They look way better and kick on an overhead Fantastic Fan with them open and you’ll have all the “breeze” you want. I leave one or two open all summer when not in use with the thermostat controlled Fantastic Fan vent on when it’s parked so it can breathe rain or shine. I get the whole “I get more airflow with framed windows” thing, but I wouldn’t trade the other benefits for moderately better breeze if there is one that day.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #13

I'm ready to replace the frameless worthless windows for ones that actually OPEN.

Our 5'er had nice BIG windows. We're in Seattle and camp in the rain a LOT, and never had an issue leaving windows open a bit for fresh air. With these little flaps, when it rains you just get moisture in and no cool breeze - which makes it WORSE inside - muggy, humid & mildewy.

At night in the summertime, it's nice to open everything up and cool the RV down. Saves on A/C, as well as dries and freshens the whole house.

The only vent fan we have is in the bathroom, and it does nothing to pull air in from the front windows of the RV.

The little windows by my head on the bed are nice to chill my forehead, but do nothing for the rest of my body. If the emergency exit window could be left open, that would help - but there's no screen there, so can't do that in mosquito-land.

If the A/C units could act as attic fans, that would certainly be a big help - anyone know if there's a "vent" setting on these rooftop units?
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #14

They would but might be a little noisy. We have about same set up. At night we close house windows. Get a little more air flow through bedroom windows, with bath vent on! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
They would but might be a little noisy. We have about same set up. At night we close house windows. Get a little more air flow through bedroom windows, with bath vent on! Thanks
True, "attic" fans are notoriously noisy, and I'm sure using the A/C that way would be too... but as soon as it cools off outside, we could crank them up and chill the RV while we're still outside by the campfire, then turn them off to sleep in peace.
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote