Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #21

I guess I never thought about security while camping. Ive never ran into people while out camping that gave me a bad feeling. Seems like all campers are good people.
RARELY do I lock the camper, in fact, on some nice spring, summer or fall evenings, I may sleep with just the screen door closed (although the wife doesn't like that).
I guess I look at like this... If somebody needs what I have in my camper more than I do, let them have it... If im in there and someone unwelcomed comes in, they better be ready for a fight...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #22

I have a Hybrid, Locks are merely cosmetic for us. Campers in Provincial Parks up here tend to watch out for each other by default. I don't hear much about people having their sites ransacked but that's not to say it doesn't happen.

Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #23

I agree, theft at campgrounds, while I'm sure it happens, is rare. I can only remember one instance at the campgrounds I've worked at, someone took his orange wheel blocks. I think it was more an issue of him taking his class 3 for the day, and leaving only those blocks, I'm sure someone just thought they forgot them, which does happen.
That being said, locks only keep honest people honest, a crook will always get in. I did change my 751 locks into the circular key type, while the doors are flimsy, at least they can't use a key and get in, would cause a little issue for them and be obvious what they were doing.

Door locks are actually harder to break into than the knob type you may have on your brick and mortar home.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I agree, theft at campgrounds, while I'm sure it happens, is rare. I can only remember one instance at the campgrounds I've worked at, someone took his orange wheel blocks. I think it was more an issue of him taking his class 3 for the day, and leaving only those blocks, I'm sure someone just thought they forgot them, which does happen.
That being said, locks only keep honest people honest, a crook will always get in. I did change my 751 locks into the circular key type, while the doors are flimsy, at least they can't use a key and get in, would cause a little issue for them and be obvious what they were doing.

Door locks are actually harder to break into than the knob type you may have on your brick and mortar home.
We've only had one thing taken while we were camping. Had a site for our class-B reserved for several days. We left for the day and left a cheap, blue plastic water jug on the picnic table so folks would know the site was taken. When we returned, the jug was taken... but the site was vacant.

I've heard from other campers to NOT leave your leveling wood planks loose if you are away. They disappear quickly, leaving only a trail of smoke behind.

Do you have a source for your locks to replace the 751 locks? We want to make that change, too.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #25

2 big dogs that probably wouldn't hurt anybody but strangers don't know that. There back up is a glock 40cal. Not being macho, just prepared.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:24 PM   #26

One thing about the 751 i wanted to mention. If you do lock your self out of your camper, its likely your neighbor may be able to open a compartment and a kid or small person could crawl into and possibly get in and open the door if that compartment has access to the inside of your camper...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
One thing about the 751 i wanted to mention. If you do lock your self out of your camper, its likely your neighbor may be able to open a compartment and a kid or small person could crawl into and possibly get in and open the door if that compartment has access to the inside of your camper...
That's a good point and something I shall try to remember.
Last season, we were hiking down to the Beach at one of the many Provincial Parks this way. As we got to the Bluff, I realized the nasty and long stair case down to the beach was going to kill me if I tried to walk back up later that day..so I headed back to the site to get my truck to drive down to the beach. Once I got to my Trailer, I realized the Wife had the key. We had left the small Window to the right of the door open and I was able to slide the screen/window open all the way, reach in with a stick and unlock the main door. Grabbed my Vehicle keys, then performed the reverse procedure to lock up again. Knowing the little storage area is a universal key now...I'll just ask one of the neighbors next time I find myself in that predicament.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
We've only had one thing taken while we were camping. Had a site for our class-B reserved for several days. We left for the day and left a cheap, blue plastic water jug on the picnic table so folks would know the site was taken. When we returned, the jug was taken... but the site was vacant.

I've heard from other campers to NOT leave your leveling wood planks loose if you are away. They disappear quickly, leaving only a trail of smoke behind.

Do you have a source for your locks to replace the 751 locks? We want to make that change, too.
It's been a while but think this was the place. Has good information as to how to measure etc http://www.shop.ch751.com/Tubular-Lo...acement_c3.htm
Old 02-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #29

I find it fascinating that anyone would enter a home or a camper knowing someone was inside. It happens all the time, and here in Texas, it's a BAD idea. It will take someone at least a little time to get into my camper, and their efforts will NOT go unnoticed (breaking into somewhere is a noisy business, and even the smallest sound has a funny way of finding my ear in the trailer, so having a key for "silent" entry will not help), and if I'm in it, I will have plenty of time to make preparations to make a stand. My choice is a firearm, but I also have pots and pans, knives, propane bottles, purses, dog leashes... etc. Anyone who forcefully enters any domicile that is occupied is either high or has a death wish, but it happens. And if it does, they're not likely after your belongings, they're after YOU.

The bigger issue IMHO is when the rig is not occupied. The locks being standard is only part of the problem. If someone wants in my rig (like when it's in storage for example), they will get in, and they likely will not even bother with the formality of using the standard key. New locks are great, and having a unique key is good, but look at what's behind the locks. In my rig, it's a thin sheet of aluminum. If I pull hard enough, I can just bend all the inner workings and the door will swing open. The entry door isn't much more secure than that and is EASILY opened with a crow bar or even a large screw driver. Damage to the rig is completely irrelevant to a thief. And the above poster who mentioned that "locks are to keep the honest people honest" hit the nail on the head.

The only useful protection IMHO is a good insurance policy that will pay for the damage caused by a thief. Heck, even if you remove anything of value from your trailer, they'll still break in trying to get at the loot. Then you're left with a hefty repair bill, and they didn't even get anything.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
It's been a while but think this was the place. Has good information as to how to measure etc http://www.shop.ch751.com/Tubular-Lo...acement_c3.htm
Thanks. I'd found other sites, but not with the cylindrical keyed locks.

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote