Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #21

I guess I never thought about security while camping. Ive never ran into people while out camping that gave me a bad feeling. Seems like all campers are good people.
RARELY do I lock the camper, in fact, on some nice spring, summer or fall evenings, I may sleep with just the screen door closed (although the wife doesn't like that).
I guess I look at like this... If somebody needs what I have in my camper more than I do, let them have it... If im in there and someone unwelcomed comes in, they better be ready for a fight...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #22

I have a Hybrid, Locks are merely cosmetic for us. Campers in Provincial Parks up here tend to watch out for each other by default. I don't hear much about people having their sites ransacked but that's not to say it doesn't happen.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #23

I agree, theft at campgrounds, while I'm sure it happens, is rare. I can only remember one instance at the campgrounds I've worked at, someone took his orange wheel blocks. I think it was more an issue of him taking his class 3 for the day, and leaving only those blocks, I'm sure someone just thought they forgot them, which does happen.
That being said, locks only keep honest people honest, a crook will always get in. I did change my 751 locks into the circular key type, while the doors are flimsy, at least they can't use a key and get in, would cause a little issue for them and be obvious what they were doing.

Door locks are actually harder to break into than the knob type you may have on your brick and mortar home.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I agree, theft at campgrounds, while I'm sure it happens, is rare. I can only remember one instance at the campgrounds I've worked at, someone took his orange wheel blocks. I think it was more an issue of him taking his class 3 for the day, and leaving only those blocks, I'm sure someone just thought they forgot them, which does happen.
That being said, locks only keep honest people honest, a crook will always get in. I did change my 751 locks into the circular key type, while the doors are flimsy, at least they can't use a key and get in, would cause a little issue for them and be obvious what they were doing.

Door locks are actually harder to break into than the knob type you may have on your brick and mortar home.
We've only had one thing taken while we were camping. Had a site for our class-B reserved for several days. We left for the day and left a cheap, blue plastic water jug on the picnic table so folks would know the site was taken. When we returned, the jug was taken... but the site was vacant.

I've heard from other campers to NOT leave your leveling wood planks loose if you are away. They disappear quickly, leaving only a trail of smoke behind.

Do you have a source for your locks to replace the 751 locks? We want to make that change, too.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #25

2 big dogs that probably wouldn't hurt anybody but strangers don't know that. There back up is a glock 40cal. Not being macho, just prepared.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:24 PM   #26

One thing about the 751 i wanted to mention. If you do lock your self out of your camper, its likely your neighbor may be able to open a compartment and a kid or small person could crawl into and possibly get in and open the door if that compartment has access to the inside of your camper...

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
One thing about the 751 i wanted to mention. If you do lock your self out of your camper, its likely your neighbor may be able to open a compartment and a kid or small person could crawl into and possibly get in and open the door if that compartment has access to the inside of your camper...
That's a good point and something I shall try to remember.
Last season, we were hiking down to the Beach at one of the many Provincial Parks this way. As we got to the Bluff, I realized the nasty and long stair case down to the beach was going to kill me if I tried to walk back up later that day..so I headed back to the site to get my truck to drive down to the beach. Once I got to my Trailer, I realized the Wife had the key. We had left the small Window to the right of the door open and I was able to slide the screen/window open all the way, reach in with a stick and unlock the main door. Grabbed my Vehicle keys, then performed the reverse procedure to lock up again. Knowing the little storage area is a universal key now...I'll just ask one of the neighbors next time I find myself in that predicament.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
We've only had one thing taken while we were camping. Had a site for our class-B reserved for several days. We left for the day and left a cheap, blue plastic water jug on the picnic table so folks would know the site was taken. When we returned, the jug was taken... but the site was vacant.

I've heard from other campers to NOT leave your leveling wood planks loose if you are away. They disappear quickly, leaving only a trail of smoke behind.

Do you have a source for your locks to replace the 751 locks? We want to make that change, too.
It's been a while but think this was the place. Has good information as to how to measure etc http://www.shop.ch751.com/Tubular-Lo...acement_c3.htm

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #29

I find it fascinating that anyone would enter a home or a camper knowing someone was inside. It happens all the time, and here in Texas, it's a BAD idea. It will take someone at least a little time to get into my camper, and their efforts will NOT go unnoticed (breaking into somewhere is a noisy business, and even the smallest sound has a funny way of finding my ear in the trailer, so having a key for "silent" entry will not help), and if I'm in it, I will have plenty of time to make preparations to make a stand. My choice is a firearm, but I also have pots and pans, knives, propane bottles, purses, dog leashes... etc. Anyone who forcefully enters any domicile that is occupied is either high or has a death wish, but it happens. And if it does, they're not likely after your belongings, they're after YOU.

The bigger issue IMHO is when the rig is not occupied. The locks being standard is only part of the problem. If someone wants in my rig (like when it's in storage for example), they will get in, and they likely will not even bother with the formality of using the standard key. New locks are great, and having a unique key is good, but look at what's behind the locks. In my rig, it's a thin sheet of aluminum. If I pull hard enough, I can just bend all the inner workings and the door will swing open. The entry door isn't much more secure than that and is EASILY opened with a crow bar or even a large screw driver. Damage to the rig is completely irrelevant to a thief. And the above poster who mentioned that "locks are to keep the honest people honest" hit the nail on the head.

The only useful protection IMHO is a good insurance policy that will pay for the damage caused by a thief. Heck, even if you remove anything of value from your trailer, they'll still break in trying to get at the loot. Then you're left with a hefty repair bill, and they didn't even get anything.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
It's been a while but think this was the place. Has good information as to how to measure etc http://www.shop.ch751.com/Tubular-Lo...acement_c3.htm
Thanks. I'd found other sites, but not with the cylindrical keyed locks.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #31

lots of good info - thank you.
kkitchener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Thanks. I'd found other sites, but not with the cylindrical keyed locks.
I have this on mine
http://www.fastecindustrial.com/products/default.html

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #33

Hello,
I replaced our door lock with an RVLock and keypad. The lock mechanism itself is a little sturdier than the OEM that the door comes with. But really after my wife manged to lock herself out with the key inside the RV I really wanted to get a key-less entry lock. The Rv Lock & Pad I got is simular to this on Amazon but I got mine in black.
http://www.amazon.com/Rv-Lock-Pad-29...P6X13H8XVYWDT2

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #34

Here's what I use, no batteries needed. Works every time!
.38 S&W Special +P
Hornady Critical Defense 38 Special +P 110 Grain FTX
Attached Thumbnails
163050_01_md.jpg  
Old 02-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #35

Does the new one fit in the existing opening of the old latch? (Do you have to cut anything to make out fit? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by thodgson View Post
Hello,
I replaced our door lock with an RVLock and keypad. The lock mechanism itself is a little sturdier than the OEM that the door comes with. But really after my wife manged to lock herself out with the key inside the RV I really wanted to get a key-less entry lock. The Rv Lock & Pad I got is simular to this on Amazon but I got mine in black.
http://www.amazon.com/Rv-Lock-Pad-29...P6X13H8XVYWDT2
okieinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #36

It fit right in perfectly and the door latch lined up perfectly with the hole in the frame.
But oddly it came with no screws to attach the 2 half's together and I tried to use the existing ones but the door latch used American thread and the new latch uses metric threads. So I ran to the local ACE and metric screws of similar length.
I but the keypad just to the left of the door on the TT body.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:54 AM   #37

My dog is the best security I have. He loves people, but if you invade our teritory without us being there, or he does not know you, then his bark will be intimidating.

He loves camping too.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
My dog is the best security I have. He loves people, but if you invade our teritory without us being there, or he does not know you, then his bark will be intimidating.

He loves camping too.
Bucko, thanks for the reply! I have a 14 year old wheaten terrier - that is not much more than a rug. She never barks - loves everyone and I'm sure she would show you where the "goods" are! She is a wonderful companion and loves what ever we are doing together!
kkitchener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch Pin View Post
Here's what I use, no batteries needed. Works every time!
.38 S&W Special +P
Hornady Critical Defense 38 Special +P 110 Grain FTX
However, the results are unpredictable! You could end up with life without parole, or worse if the state still has the death penalty.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkitchener View Post
what kinds of locks are available and what do you recommend. i'm not a scaredy cat but the lock on my RV seems to be flimsy and I feel a bit insecure. Advice please.
OK. We've had a little fun (including me). Now, let's get back on topic and refocus our attention to the OP's question (which I've reiterated, above).

Seems to me it had something to do with locks.

Thanks!

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote