Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2018, 06:41 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Have you ever seen one of these? sewie pig!!!

Sewiepig RV sewage accessory

You do realize that I'm going to have to buy one of those now don't you......
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
The donut thing in florida is likely a case of the wording of the law not keeping up with the times of a screw fitted "airtight" connection. I can't imagine a reasonable health department official writing a ticket or whatever they are capable of doing if one was using a airtight connection whether that was accomplished with a donut or a screw fitted connection.

Then again, I could be entirely wrong.
I am sure that this is the case. Most of these type "laws" are selectively enforced.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:39 PM   #23

I use a donut at my seasonal site because my sewer connection is not threaded.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:

Best company slogan ever - "we're #1 in a #2 business!"

Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:34 AM   #25

I had to look up to see what a sewer donut is. Never heard of one and had never seen one before today. So far I have been camping "out west" but have also never seen a threaded connection. Bought a donut on Amazon and will try it this trip, as I have experienced "gasses" from some neighbors. Learn something new all the time on this forum.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #26

Update:

The park in Florida had threaded connections at each and every site. It was a very nice park, so this doesn't surprise me. All campers that I looked at had threaded elbows screwed into the outlets.

I'm going to guess it's just part of the "stuff" they have to put in the information to comply with health codes in Florida. They should amend the code accordingly to accommodate for threaded ends, but I imagine that like many other places, they've got bigger things to worry about.

Anyway, I now have a donut riding around in my kit and will use it next time I encounter a place without a threaded outlet. FWIW, I have encountered a few of them over the last five or so years of RVing...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #27
Site Team

Wording is to specific. The important thing is to seal the gasses in the system.

You could use your grannies mink coat as long as it gets done! LOL
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Wording is to specific. The important thing is to seal the gasses in the system.

You could use your grannies mink coat as long as it gets done! LOL
Dang! Wish you'd posted that sooner! I spent good money on a sewer ring and gave away my M-I-Law's mink!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Not an earth-shattering question, just more of a curiosity to me...

So, I'm going to a place soon that states in the written policy that health code requires the use of a sewer "donut" on the stinky slinky. No problem really, I ordered one from Amazon with something else I was ordering so I would have it.

So here's my question: Would you still need a donut if your elbow screws into the sewer outlet? My elbow is threaded, so I can screw it into most sewer outlets of varying sizes, creating a much better seal than any donut...

I guess I could see the need if the outlet was not threaded, but most of them are because they have a cap installed when not in use. I have seen a handful that were not though, so maybe a donut is a good thing to have around anyway...

I've never been to a place that stated specifically in the policy that a donut was required (or at least not that I know of).
In most cases your sewer side is your neighbor's camp side. It just good form to prevent sewer gases from disturbing your neighbor. I always use a doughnut when screw in adapters can't be used.
Blunderbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #30

Angry

Anyone else have trouble getting the sewer hose thru the donut hole?
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post
In most cases your sewer side is your neighbor's camp side. It just good form to prevent sewer gases from disturbing your neighbor. I always use a doughnut when screw in adapters can't be used.
Welcome to the forum from a former MI resident.

Yup. That's my plan. So far dump stations have been the only place where the screw in connections weren't available, but no sewer doughnut needed there.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:44 PM   #32

The doughnut would fit onto your screw in adapter. Typically the campsites without threaded collars have a large PVC entry into the sewer system. The doughnut fits between your adapter and the large hole.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:52 PM   #33

I note “doughnut required” in about half of the CG’s we’ve stayed in. I use a Sewer Solution dump and it comes with a big/small doughnut. I used the “starter kit” slinky that came with our first TT once and bought the SS before our 2nd night and is all I’ve used since.

The SS doughnut fits most CG sewers but I occasionally find the large doughnut is a touch smaller than the CG connection and doesn’t make a good seal. This makes me wonder how many “standard” sizes there are. You folks with threaded connections, how many different diameters of connections can you use?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #34

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
You do realize that I'm going to have to buy one of those now don't you......
"Sadly" or more so gladly, I have no more room in my sewer tote. My DW would most definately want one of these...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:35 PM   #35

My adapter has 3 different diameter thread areas.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:50 PM   #36

Donut

Believe it or not, there are still parks out there who don't have threaded sewer openings. We are at a private RV park just outside KC, MO that just have a smooth PVC sticking out of the ground. Of course this is also a problem as the donut won't fit into it. I would make sure you have a donut in your rig incase a park has the old style black sewer line with the flange coming out of the ground. Should be pretty rare, but I seem to remember one a couple of years ago in a private park, seems like it was in Arkansas, but at my age I could of just dreamed it.

Neil
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 12:21 AM   #37

re: Sewer donut

I have been to RV parks dump stations, highway rest stops and a FJ that had the hinged, gasketed lid vs threaded. In this use, I suspect CODE is (more) for "splash control" to protect/ control the surrounding area contamination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Not an earth-shattering question, just more of a curiosity to me...

So, I'm going to a place soon that states in the written policy that health code requires the use of a sewer "donut" on the stinky slinky. No problem really, I ordered one from Amazon with something else I was ordering so I would have it.

So here's my question: Would you still need a donut if your elbow screws into the sewer outlet? My elbow is threaded, so I can screw it into most sewer outlets of varying sizes, creating a much better seal than any donut...

I guess I could see the need if the outlet was not threaded, but most of them are because they have a cap installed when not in use. I have seen a handful that were not though, so maybe a donut is a good thing to have around anyway...

I've never been to a place that stated specifically in the policy that a donut was required (or at least not that I know of).
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:50 PM   #38

IF they have threads and you have a screw-type then you would not use the donut... My guess is they are asking you to use the donut because their pipe has no threads or way to secure except placing a heavy rock on top of your fitting.....
gmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #39

the sewer gas explanation is not valid because each lift station needs a vent pipe anyway
larryrebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryrebos View Post
the sewer gas explanation is not valid because each lift station needs a vent pipe anyway
You don't have a lift station in the middle of campers. if you have a lift station it is away from active campers and the vent pipe will be tall. The screw in connection and the donut are meant to keep odors/gas from where people are camping. It makes perfect sense and is not only common sense but the right thing to do.. no one wants to smell someone else's waste.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote