Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #1

Starcraft RV' have same floor plans as Jayco

I noticed Starcraft Lexion Fifth wheels have the exact same floorplans as the Jayco fifth wheels. Does Starcraft have any affliation with Jayco? Looking at pictures of the Starcrafts they do not seem as weel built as the Jayco's.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
I noticed Starcraft Lexion Fifth wheels have the exact same floorplans as the Jayco fifth wheels. Does Starcraft have any affliation with Jayco? Looking at pictures of the Starcrafts they do not seem as weel built as the Jayco's.
Don't know about the 5th Wheels but my Starcraft 175RK hybrid was built on the same line as it's twin the Jayco 17C. Only the exterior decals and interior fabrics are different. Starcraft warranty is only one year compared to Jayco's two year. Other than that they are identical.

tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #3

Starcraft is a division of Jayco. They moved the assembly into the Jayco factory in 2009, but they are now moving it back into their own facilities for 2011. Good news for the RV industry. See both press releases below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jayco Announces Closing of Starcraft Subsidiary
RV Business
Monday, November 17, 2008

Jayco Corp. today (Nov. 17) announced the closing of its Starcraft RV Inc. subsidiary in Topeka, Ind., and will relocate all production to the company’s Middlebury, Ind., facilities.

The closure will take place beginning in January and affect 244 employees.

Don Walter, president of Starcraft for the past 17 years, will continue to serve on the Jayco board. He is also on the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) board while serving as a co-chair on the Go RVing Coalition.

“This decision has been taken with deep regret because we know that it will place hardship on many of our employees and their families,” said Derald Bontrager, Jayco president and COO. “But, the RV industry has been hit hard, first by run-away fuel prices and, more recently, by severely diminished consumer confidence and a significant decline in the supply of credit at both retail and wholesale levels.

“Business conditions dictate that we take steps to reduce operating costs and maintain production capacity that reflects marketplace realities.”

Bontrager stressed that Starcraft will continue to operate as a separate brand with its own dealer body, sales and product development staff. All other aspects of the Starcraft ongoing operations will be integrated into Jayco’s existing departments in Middlebury.

Currently, Starcraft RV builds folding camping trailers, truck campers, travel trailers and fifth-wheels."

------------------------------------------------------------

Middlebury, IN, 2/3/2010 – Starcraft RV, a division of Jayco, Inc., today announced that it will reopen its Topeka, Indiana manufacturing facilities beginning in May of this year. The Starcraft RV plant had been closed in January, 2009 as part of the Jayco corporate efforts to trim costs and reduce production capacity as a result of recessionary economic pressures.

The company said it will initially move production of Starcraft Autumn Ridge travel trailers from its Middlebury, Indiana complex and the move will create 50 jobs at the Topeka facility later this year. Over time, company officials said they anticipate that production of most, if not all, of Starcraft RV product lines will be relocated back to the Topeka plants.

In making the announcement, Jim Jacobs, general manager of Starcraft RV, said, “When we consolidated operations into the Middlebury campus last year, we stated that our goal was to reinstate the Topeka operations as soon as market conditions would allow us to do so. Now that our business has begun to recover from the recent recession cycle, we believe the timing is right to accelerate these activities.”

Source: Jayco Inc.
2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Site Team

We took a tour of the Middlebury Indiana plant in Sept '09 when we picked up our new tt. There were a number of Starcraft pop-ups lined up outside. John the tour guide told us that those Starcrafts were made at the Middlebury factory. So they must be made at both facility's.

We actually have two Starcraft owners that are members here at JOF that I can think of
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #5

Thanks for the info; I did not know Jayco was making the starcraft campers. Are they as well built as the Jayco's. I have never been in a starcract, but the picture i saw of one showed the cabinets and fabrics to be a little cheaper looking than what Jayco puts in there trailers.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #6

I stand corrected; the starcraft trailers appear to be just as nice if not better in some areas.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
Thanks for the info; I did not know Jayco was making the starcraft campers. Are they as well built as the Jayco's. I have never been in a starcract, but the picture i saw of one showed the cabinets and fabrics to be a little cheaper looking than what Jayco puts in there trailers.
I can't attest to Starcraft's quality now, but I'm guessing if built by Jayco, then probably is great. Back in 1992 we were shopping for our first tt. We knew it would be a pop-up. At that time in our local, we only had access to Rockwood, Starcraft, and someother brand. We bought the Rockwood as the other two didn't open up as sturdily, or seem to have the quality of materials that the Rockwood had at the time. Keep in mind, the Starcraft was not a Jayco product back then.
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #8

We owned a Starcraft pop up and the quality was nowhere near as good as a Jayco. That was before Starcraft was bought by Jayco. I can't attest to today's products.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Site Team

The Starcraft web site does not look to be updated since the 09 model year and no dealers listed.
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The Starcraft web site does not look to be updated since the 09 model year and no dealers listed.
Don't know which website you're looking at but when I bring it up it has all the 2011 floorplans, has a dealer locator on the home page and says Starcraft 2011 in the title bar of the browser.

tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote