Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #1

The kitchen sink?

We just got back from a four day camping trip with. My sister and her family. I am exhausted unpacking and it got me to thinking. How do you camp without moving heaven and earth to the campsite? There must be a simpler way.
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #2
Site Team

In the spring, we stock it a little at a time, before our first outing. Some clothes, canned goods and some other non-perishables. If we do it slowly it's not such a chore. The day before we're to leave, it gets plugged in to get the fridge cold, and I gather the items that will travel in the truck. And finally, the morning we set out, the fridge gets stocked, ice in the cooler with drinks, load the back of the truck, and we're off.

When we get back home, all we do is empty the fridge, take out the dirty laundry, and I empty the back of the truck.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #3

Don't invite the sister and family.. LOL Tell them to bring what they want and keep it simple on your end.
albirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
In the spring, we stock it a little at a time, before our first outing. Some clothes, canned goods and some other non-perishables. If we do it slowly it's not such a chore. The day before we're to leave, it gets plugged in to get the fridge cold, and I gather the items that will travel in the truck. And finally, the morning we set out, the fridge gets stocked, ice in the cooler with drinks, load the back of the truck, and we're off.

When we get back home, all we do is empty the fridge, take out the dirty laundry, and I empty the back of the truck.

Same here. It takes just a few minutes to pack or unpack. Take half the food, some basic clean clothes and twice the $ you think you will need and have fun.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:47 PM   #5

This is something that I don't look forward to when camping so what I did is I made our rv literally our second house. I have clothes there that I don't bring in our actual house etcetc. Only thing I worry is food.
sevenhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:59 AM   #6

I start on Monday loading what can be, clothes an odds an ends if any. By Wed. It's any food that doesn't need refrigerated. Thursday load the fridge an the truck an Friday hook up an go. Like others have said when we get back unload dirty clothes, unload the fridge an the truck. If anything else needs to come out out of the camper it's usually done on Monday. The truck is the worst part for me than the camper because I'm known to take things I'll probably never use but if I need it I'll have it. An sometimes I have
Old 10-22-2019, 05:08 AM   #7

I have only used my trailer once since we got it a couple of months ago.
I tent camped for 40 yrs plus and the packing loading unpacking setup then loading unpacking routine got to me.
Having a trailer with most of the things already in it makes it so much easier!
Yes there is a little work but not like before
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:01 AM   #8

I too an am old backpacker, so I have learned to do without. The TT has its own equipment that stays in there. So in the spring it is fill the pantry, paper products, and cloths. As the season progresses we add more, by the end of the season the pantry is full. Not much of the house stuff ever makes it into the TT, sometimes we will bring a slowcooker or a specialty item (kitchen tool), but not often.

Once we get home from a normal trip, it takes us about an hour from starting to back into our driveway to being fully unload, and laundry started.

When we camp with my brother's clan, holy camonly do we have to bring a lot! Meals are always complicated, and needing specialty items, their kids will only eat certain things, and each kid is different, and they cater to them. My kid eats what is in front of him, even if it is not his favorite. Everything is always done at our place. It is always an adventure with them, something always breaks on their PU (no maintenance is ever done). They make a major mess inside my TT, usually spilling food, . Unloading and cleanup after a trip with them is work.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:29 AM   #9

My DW would spend days & sometime weeks getting things ready for a trip. It can be very exhausting. I put my foot down and said enough is enough. This whole ordeal of packing and unpacking has to come to an end. I told her there is only one sane way to approach camping with less stress. So here we are full-timing.........all the stress is behind us
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #10

We not only view our TT as our recreational get away, we also view it and keep it prepped as an emergency shelter. Since we primarily dry camp or boondock it is all set up for extended time frame trips off grid. When stored, it is plugged in with clothing and bedding, all set up, and non perishable goods (that freezing temps wont affect). Prior to parking it for the winter, we place a full propane tank inside, and regardless of how much or how little propane we used during the season, we top off the tank(s).
During the season, the fridge is kept on and stocked while plugged in and switched to propane once at the camping location.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #11

It's DW's least favorite part too.

I usually do as some others have suggested and bring the rig home the Sunday or Monday before departure. I use most of the evenings in the week to conduct repairs or maintenance or install mods that I've collected since last time out. And I'll pack a little bit here and there during the week.

By Wednesday night I start packing in earnest. Usually that just involves grabbing an armload of clothes. I usually get the fridge cooled down and start making ice too so I can have a bit of a "reserve". By Thursday night I have the water tank filled and all items on-board. Friday when we leave, I just hook up the Jeep and we're out. Sometimes if I don't need my Jeep, I'll hook it up Thursday night to make departure that much faster.

Now, all of that is for a "normal" trip. We have done some "impromptu" trips as well. In those situations I will get the rig home the night before we leave, turn on the fridge, put some water in the tank, throw a few clothes in the rig, hook up the Jeep and we're gone. We will get groceries when we get there if we need them. We've also been known to throw some stuff in a duffel bag and leave directly from the storage lot.

I also come from a backpacking background, so I've learned to make due with whatever I have. So, we keep dedicated sundries in the rig that live there at all times. No food, and a few clothes. Other than that, our rig is equipped with everything we absolutely NEED to travel at a moment's notice.

I used to get worked up about forgetting some piece of gear. These days I figure I can either go without, or purchase it wherever I am if I absolutely need it... So I try not to worry too much about packing...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote