Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #1

This puts the cost of camping in perspective

My friend announced a few weeks ago she is getting divorced. Along with her soon to be ex, they now have to sell their vacation property, a condo in Canmore, Alberta. Asking price, around $475,000 dollars.

My vacation property, my 32bhds, cost me $28,000, brand spanking new in 2013.

Yes, we all bitch about the cost of campsites, and fuel, etc., but in terms of a "vacation property", nothing beats a trailer . . . except maybe a tent!

Just my 2 cents (no pun intended)

Ensign

Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #2

We love camping, however when I have an extra $500k I will own a vacation home too :-)

In 20 years, or less, my trailer will be worth ZERO -- a vacation home on California's Central Coast will double in value or more if history is any indicator of the future.

Everything about RVs and Camping, except maybe owning a CG, is a deprecating asset. I try to limit the amount of money I have committed to depreciating assets. So far I am not doing as good as I would like on this goal. However, the silver lining is, I also bought used and have no loans on any of these depreciating toys.

clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #3

Real estate doesn't always appreciate

I have friends in Florida, their condo's are still underwater, even with the "great recession" now over. And don't forget about those yearly condo (HOA) fees.
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #4

We have what most people would call a time share, though technically it's not, through World Mark. We love it, but ... it doesn't allow animals anywhere on the property, so we can't use the place without boarding the dog. That's still less expensive than a hotel, but it's more stressful on the DW. Our current PUP and the imminent TT allow our dog!
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign View Post
I have friends in Florida, their condo's are still underwater, even with the "great recession" now over. And don't forget about those yearly condo (HOA) fees.
Great point, fortunately it doesn't really apply in my neck of the woods. Not to many condo complexes along the CA central coast or central Sierra Nevada. And certainly none of the big high rise stuff I have seen in in Florida, Vegas, Scottsdale, etc.

Hopefully your friends will recapture their value, that is something I know I will never be able to do with a RV or Truck.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
We love camping, however when I have an extra $500k I will own a vacation home too :-)

In 20 years, or less, my trailer will be worth ZERO -- a vacation home on California's Central Coast will double in value or more if history is any indicator of the future.
In 20 years, you will have spent $100 - $200k in property taxes which alone could fund a new camper a couple times over.
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #7

Ok, we have lost the intent of the OPs thread. I was simply making and tongue and cheek observation about second home appreciation vs RV depreciation. I'll make one last point then I'm done on this topic.

In CA, 500k house cost 1% property tax, plus what ever local bonds and assessments are enacted. Typical property tax is 1.2% annually and the tax basis (home value) is locked in at the purchase price + 3% a year. So even when the house doubles, you taxes hardly change. You can thank Prop 13 for this. A very short sight initiative passed I the 70s.

So in my example over 20 years I would pay ~$125k in property tax, all of which is tax deductible. Therefore I would only have a net gain of $375k of equity appreciation vs 100% depreciation in RV value.

Before anyone gets upset -- remember I am right here with you as an RV owner. That doesn't change the fact that we all chose to own depreciating assets.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #8

It's all young in cheek observation here.
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #9

I think the biggest benefit is if beachside in CA sounds good that is where my camper and I will head. If beachside in FL sounds good we go there. If the Grand Canyon sounds good we head there. A vacation home is stuck in one place. My camper and I can go where we wanna go and most nice places have a campground with a great view. I pay a premium for that but still not close to that vacation home that is stuck in one place
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post
In 20 years, you will have spent $100 - $200k in property taxes which alone could fund a new camper a couple times over.
My son from LA bought a vacation home on the Cal. Coast 7-8 years ago at Pismo Beach. It has now doubled in value and he rents it out by the week or month and 6 weeks of rent pays the taxes for the whole year. He has to turn people away. Visit the coast and you'll see what we mean.

Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote