Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #1

Tpms ?

New to the TPMS game, have a TST507 with 4 screw on sensors, not flow thru.

Curious as to what changes in PSI and temp other TPMS users see after rolling long enough to get the tires up to "temp". I realize you have a cold start temp and psi, so what changes or highs do you see from your cold start temps & psi.

TST recommends setting/leaving the temp parameter at 158* but I never came even close to that on a 50 mile trip home today on sunny dry roads (80* was the high). Never got over 60mph today due to the route taken.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #2

Jimp, I have a TST507 with the flow-thru sensors. One will see an increase in both temp and pressure. I seldom go over 65MPH. The highest temp I can recall witnessing was 110 degrees. That was on the slide side of the RV. The crown of the highway will also cause a temp difference from side to side. The pressure will climb a few pounds after the tires heat up. Not sure I've answered your question.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post

Curious as to what changes in PSI and temp other TPMS users see after rolling long enough to get the tires up to "temp". I realize you have a cold start temp and psi, so what changes or highs do you see from your cold start temps & psi.

TST recommends setting/leaving the temp parameter at 158* but I never came even close to that on a 50 mile trip home today on sunny dry roads (80* was the high). Never got over 60mph today due to the route taken.
Last weekend I pull about 3hrs 88 outside temp. running between 65 to 70. I start with 80psi. The highest psi was 95 and highest temp was 97
Old 05-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Mine averages about 10-15 psi over cold psi and about 10 degrees over ambient temp. Factors affecting it can be the type pavement, degree the sun is hitting the road,(pavement temp), low air pressure, speed and other things.

I set my temp at 158 as per the instructions, I don't think it can be changed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
Do you mind me asking where you may have picked yours up at? How much?

I'm thinking of getting the same one (with the four non-flow thru sensors). I've looked at Amazon, Ebay, Tweetys as some recommended here and just a plain ol' Google search for any other place to consider. Amazon was the cheapest at $249.80 (but said they came from Tweetys). Tweetys site wants $20 more for the same thing that Amazon is selling them for. Thanks!

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post

I'm thinking of getting the same one (with the four non-flow thru sensors). I've looked at Amazon, Ebay, Tweetys as some recommended here and just a plain ol' Google search for any other place to consider. Amazon was the cheapest at $249.80 (but said they came from Tweetys). Tweetys site wants $20 more for the same thing that Amazon is selling them for. Thanks!
Make sure the one on Amazon has the new updated monitor. When I purchased mine Amazon was cheaper but it was the old stye monitor. You can tell by the antena. The old style has a bigger antena on the side. The new ones have a small antena coming out the top. Also some are color and some are b&w.
Old 05-12-2018, 04:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Mine averages about 10-15 psi over cold psi and about 10 degrees over ambient temp. Factors affecting it can be the type pavement, degree the sun is hitting the road,(pavement temp), low air pressure, speed and other things.

I set my temp at 158 as per the instructions, I don't think it can be changed.
X2
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:51 AM   #8
Site Team

I bought mine direct from TST. They were having a closeout and I forget what I payed but it had 8 sensors and was a better price than listed on the website.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 05-12-2018, 04:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post

Wife found the cheapest version of it on Amazon (free shipping) so don't know where it came from, but my monitor is B&W, antenna attaches on left side via screw on connection similar to CATV hook up at CG. Screen could be bigger but not a big issue. I assigned the "monitoring duties" to her since the screen is small, and she only has to look at on occasion, the beeping alarm is loud/annoying, so... The price you quoted sounds about what I paid.
Equalizer WDH
Old 05-12-2018, 05:06 AM   #10

I'm a bit surprised at the increase of 10-15psi over cold psi's but I realize these tires take a lot of punishment. I've notice an increase of 3-4psi on my TV via it's own TPMS whether I'm hooked up to TT or not. I really did not know what kind of change/increase is "normal", and each set up will be a bit different.

It was 82* ambient on the way home yesterday, so don't know about that other than it was late morning. Sun was definitely up and shining, so guess I should be looking for tire temps of ambient temp plus some.
Equalizer WDH
Old 05-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #11

Externally mounted TPMS systems can vary more than internal systems due to ambient temperature swings. See: How accurate is your TPMS? – Part 2 - RV Travel
Old 05-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #12

Just a follow-up. I'm not concerned with the accuracy of the TPMS temperature. The temperature for all tires should be roughly close. I get concerned when, and if, one tire starts showing a higher temperature than the others.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:48 AM   #13

Thanks for the info. Now another ?;

Which psi reading do you use for your COLD psi starting point, the TPMS sensor reading or the "other" gauge you use when inflating your tires?? Curious as my non flow thru sensors read about 7psi LOWER than the tire gauge I use, which agrees with another similar tire gauge I have.
Equalizer WDH
Old 05-18-2018, 05:43 AM   #14
Site Team

I go thru that 2-3 times a year when I remove the sensors individually and adjust the pressure. I had to let 2-3 lbs out of each one yesterday and let a few lbs of air out to get them back to cold specs. I use a digital gauge that I carry in the truck. The TST info says it is accurate to +/- 1-2 psi.
That tracks with my unit.

No 2 meters are exact but I trust the digital one and then when I turn on the TST, I use that as a reference because I know I just checked it with the digital.

Same with temps as already mentioned in another post. The temp is indicator of tire conditions. If the tires are withing 10 deg. of each other I don't get concerned, but one with a higher temp is cause to check out.

I noticed that when I stop at a traffic light after normal driving that the tire temps will go up, also the front tires get hotter when making a lot of turns.

After using the TPMS for a while, you get a feel for it and it has never let me down. Actually saved a few tires over the year.s
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 05-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #15

I also find that the tires on the sunny side will heat up a little more sometimes and if the road is crowned a lot there will be a difference. Most of the time the tires will be near the surface temp of the roads I have been driving on with a little variation between side to side and front to rear, again depending on sun and road crown.

The only time I pay attention to the temps is if one spikes.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote