Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2020, 05:47 AM   #1

Using screw jacks for support to open slide

I don't have the best situation for parking our camper. I graded an leveled from right to left then covered in 57 rock the space next to our driveway to park the camper. As you can see in the pic our land is sloped an there isn't a lot I can do to fix that so when the camper is level the rear is close to the ground an the toung is "around" 36-40" in the air.
The camper is stable to walk around in but I haven't wanted to open the slide for fear of how high the tongue is. Then I wondered. What if I bought 3 or 4 screw jacks an placed them on concrete pads like a square sidewalk stepping stone an ran them up to the frame on the side of the slide.
I didn't know if that would help anything other than my confidence in putting out the slide or if they would actually stabilize the trailer and keep it from putting unwanted extra weight on the front stabilzer. For what ever reason I keep seeing camper tipping over into the trees.
I'd like to be able to open the slide to clean it, inspect it, maintenace it, clean the floor inside etc. at home rather than after we get to the camp site
Any thoughts?Click image for larger version

Name:	20191001_170254.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	56259
Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 AM   #2

More side view pics would help but I dont think the slide is going to make the trailer flip with the levelers down.

I think I would get some wider blocks !
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:43 AM   #3

You're not supposed to put support under the slides.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:10 AM   #4

They wouldn't go under the slide I was thinking the frame on the same side as the slide.
Here's. a side viewClick image for larger version

Name:	20190727_134431.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	56260
Old 02-06-2020, 08:05 AM   #5

If the TT is level and you are using the stabilizer jacks, it should not be a problem to deploy the slides. Slides like a level RV. If you plan to use the RV with the slides deployed, then extra stabilizers under the slides (on the frame, not the slide itself) would help to remove the wiggle out of the TT.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:21 AM   #6

I think you’re overthinking it, level is level, the camper doesn’t know if it’s nose high or azz high just that it’s level. As long as your blocks are solid and the ground under them is solid there should be no problem. I personally would buy a 4x6 or6x6 and cut it down so you have less pieces in the “block puzzle” in order to get the camper level. You can notch the blocks so they lock together and don’t slip off each other. You can put the slide out in stages and inspect everything as you do until you’re comfortable with it being completely extended.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #7

Like Mokurt I’d suggest your stabilizer and tongue blocks need a bigger footprint for stability. I have quite a few 2x4x16 that I use to build “towers” with jacks or jack stands on top and can lift all 4 tires from the ground and safely work under when needed. Very stable.
With more stable supports I wouldn’t worry about extending the slide.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:31 AM   #8

I understand your concern. At my old place I had a similar issue, just not quite as bad (smaller TT). I parked on asphalt. One hot summer afternoon, I came home to find my tongue buried in the asphalt, as the smaller tongue block rolled as the asphalt warmed up. I was in a hurry, and did not put my extra wide blocking under the tongue jack. Came home to find a mess. I would think you could have the same issue if the ground became highly saturated.

Personally, I would redo your tongue blocking, cut 4x4s or 4x6s and install it like you where lifting and supporting a house (you kinda are). This will spread the weight out. This will keep you from having a potential failure. For me, I also placed a piece of pressure treated plywood under my block to spread the weight out even more. You could also make a version for the front stabilizers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cribbing.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	56261

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #9

I wanted to create larger blocks the problem I have are the WDH bars. In order to use larger blocks at the base I would have to use the main block I have now to jack the camper up high enough to remove the bars. Then lower it back down an off the block to replace the block with a larger one. Then proceed with the raising of the front end to get it level. I have to keep the WDH bars on to get it backed up out of the road up the hill to park it. If not the foot will drag if not dig in to the ground or street.
I have been tempted to make something like y'all have posted above an go thru those extra steps of swapping the initial block to have a larger base I just haven't.
As for over thinking the slide I may have. But if you knew me personally an my "luck" you'd understand why I brought it up