Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2021, 01:05 PM   #1

2017 FD Hummingbird Welcome Mat Post

Just picked up a 2017 FD Hummingbird a week ago. This forum was very helpful in answering many questions I had. I towed the HB home over 200 miles with my GMC Envoy. My WD hitch and sway control order had not arrived for the trip. The sellers assured me they have towed without WD and Sway before. The HB towed home fine empty, although once loaded, I will be using WD and SC.

Best advise to perspective buyers. Research for a few months ahead of time, so when you see what you want, you can purchase quickly without buyers remorse. There are a lot of good videos on YouTube for R-Pods which are similar in style, but lower in quality build. My research did turn up many quality control and build issues with the Forrest River brand. I really like the Little Guy Max, but the price tag was out of my range. The Jayco Hummingbird was just the right fit.

Does anyone know why Jayco quit making the Hummingbirds? I am thinking R-Pods took the market over with a lower price, and people did not see the lower quality build and moved away from the higher price better built HB?

See you around the fire pit.
TGWolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:50 PM   #2

Didn't know that! We have 2017 RB which is a great little camper, I'll have to do some research. I couldn't find anything that they did. where did you hear that?
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum! I believe the HB was replaced by the Jay Feather Micro series this year.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:10 PM   #4

I have no idea either, but I have a RK that is on its third Snowbird trip plus a Nova Scotia/PEI and an extended mid west. We have found it to be a good size for two and a dog and tows well behind a SUV.

We also looked at the R Pod, Mini Winnie and the fancy tear drop. For the money and our needs the Bird fit the bill.

One other thing. There is a Facebook group devoted to the Hummingbird.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:39 PM   #5

Thank you for pointing out the FB owners group. That is exactly where I found the HB for sale. Only FD I was able to find in Michigan for sale in the last few months. It was well cared for, and excited for some new adventures. PEI and NS! That sounds like fun. Do most parks within the Canadian park system have AC hookups?
Old 02-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #6

I really liked the Jay Feather Micro. It just seemed at 4100 lbs. they missed the market for the 2800-3000 lbs. towables. It was just a hunch that RPod had a bigger market share in that arena. Thank you for the warm welcome.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:52 PM   #7

It was just a hunch on my part. I have no idea why the HB has left the production line. Suggestion was the Jay Feather Mirco took its place..
Old 02-01-2021, 06:29 PM   #8

TG
While my hands on experience with the Canadian parks is limited to a couple month long trips I found them pretty much the same as ours. Most were well laid out, friendly and clean. We had planned to go to Montreal, Quebec and along the Saint Lawrence but Covid screwed up all travel plans.

Again welcome and enjoy your Bird.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote