Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDusty View Post
If your chains hang a little to low just twist them a couple of times before hooking them to your TV.

X2

lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #22

Can I run my ac when I have my camper plugged up to a drop cord at my house? It's a heavy duty drop cord.

Andrewsacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewsacres View Post
Can I run my ac when I have my camper plugged up to a drop cord at my house? It's a heavy duty drop cord.
not recommended
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #24

Wow! It's going to take awhile for all that info to sink in. You may have explained why I can't get my stove to light. I had no idea I was supposed to turn the tank on slowly. I'll try it again and see if that solves the problem.
RandDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #25

First, thanks for the kind words regarding this Newbee thread overview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewsacres View Post
Assuming a relatively short (15 feet or so, shorter being better) #14 or #12 AWG extension cord fed from a 20 amp home receptacle there should be no problem running your single HVAC unit for a normal sized camp trailer. Most smaller trailers have a 30 amp 120 volt AC cord supply. That supply is designed to feed the HVAC unit and other conveniences in your trailer. A properly sized extension cord from a 20 amp wire size (#12 awg) receptacle should handle the HVAC unit only without problem. To be clear, that doesn't mean that you can use the toaster, hair dryer, microwave oven, etc. at the same time, but just running the the HVAC should be ok.

Not that anyone asked...

I've noticed some questions about cracks in fiberglass gelcoat panels. To be sure, if the trailer is under warranty then the problems should be brought to the dealership for repair.

For older units, a few minor cracks may be better put on a watch list to determine whether they are stable or degrading.

The gelcoat serves two basic purposes. First it provides UV and damage protection for the structural fiberglass. It also provides a smooth good looking surface for the panels.

The strength of the panels is in the random or woven resin impregnated fiberglass cloth which is not related to the gelcoat. Properly prepped and impregnated fiberglass is of itself waterproof. Minor cracks in the protective gelcoat don't necessarily mean that the panels will let water penetrate the panels.

Hairline cracks in boat deck gelcoat are fairly common. They often occur in areas of stress or places where the gelcoat thickness is a bit heavy. Most of those hairline cracks in older boats are not repaired with no negative consequence.

My point is that on an older trailer it may not be worth the effort to repair minor gelcoat cracks. Watchful monitoring may be all that is necessary. The cracks may be unsightly but are likely not anything to worry about as to structural or water leak problems.

FWIW vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #26

From another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
Not that anyone asked...
EPDM roofing material is designed for the purpose often with 25 and 50 year life spans for the actual membrane being mentioned. Most manufacturers I've checked on indicate that coatings are not required. On TT's periodic inspection and touch up with proper sealant for questionable areas is recommended.

Be very careful with what you choose to coat an EPDM roof with. Some compounds can deteriorate the material over time. Some compounds may interfere with proper adhesion for future repairs.

The are many aftermarket coating marketing pitches which will tell you their products are necessary. Personally I wouldn't use any coatings on an EPDM roof unless specifically recommended and approved by the material manufacturer. The above particularly applies to ANY coating which contains silicone.

Contrary to aftermarket coatings hype I also do not use coating/protectant on my Hypalon inflatable rubber boats because the material manufacturers recommend no coatings.

6. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BLACK EPDM AND WHITE EPDM MEMBRANE?

In addition to the oils and the polymers used to make an EPDM membrane, another ingredient is added to the mix to enhance UV resistance. In the case of a black membrane, carbon black is added, which converts UV rays into heat. With white membrane, in lieu of carbon black, titanium dioxide is typically used to reflect UV rays and prevent it from attacking the polymer.

8. DOES EPDM REQUIRE SYSTEMATIC MAINTENANCE OR ADDITIONAL COATINGS OR TREATMENT TO ACHIEVE ITS LIFE EXPECTANCY?

No. No special coating or other surface treatment is required. General maintenance in the form of good housekeeping should periodically be performed to remove debris and leaves, and to investigate the performance of other components.

12. WHAT IS THE EXPECTED LONGEVITY OF EPDM MEMBRANE?

With many EPDM installations exceeding 40 years of exposure in the field under various climatic conditions, none of the material tested has shown alarming signs of degradation. Even though it would be difficult to predict, studies have shown aged EPDM membrane as having a potential life expectancy of 50 years.

13. CAN EPDM BE COATED OR PAINTED?

Acrylic coatings are available that can be applied directly to a prepared EPDM surface. Preparation usually consists of cleaning the EPDM with a pressure washer and a detergent solution or wash. Latex-based paint products can also be used, however, the EPDM manufacturer should be contacted prior to application to ensure compatibility and continuation of warranty coverage.

General Questions | EPDM Roofing Association

My opinion and worth everything you'll never pay for it.

FWIW. vic
A Travel Trailer TT isn't likely to outlive the 40 year service life of an EPDM roof.

Please do not coat your roof based upon your personal layman perception of what your trailer roof should look like. Listen to the experts.

vic
Old 05-06-2015, 08:06 AM   #27

For those who may still feel compelled to seal their EPDM roof.

Kennedy64 recently contacted Jayco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy64 View Post
Ok I checked with Jayco, they said I have the EPDM roof and can not and do not recommend me sealing the entire roof with anything. UGHHH How can I be sure there are no pin prick type holes in the roof...
I've been trying to tell people not to seal their EPDM roof.

If there is no obvious physical damage your EPDM roof is fine. Scrub it with Spic and Span and inspect. I'm certain it will be fine though.

From another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
Assuming you have an EPDM roof...

This is the link/source of the selected info.

Material Questions | EPDM Roofing Association

You can scroll down there to read all the information.

4. HOW CAN THE PERFORMANCE OF EPDM BE GAUGED OVER THE LAST 40 YEARS?
With over 1 billion square feet of membrane installed worldwide, EPDM has established itself as the membrane for all climatic conditions. This is supported by various laboratory studies and actual field installations. This excellent track record is the result of unique and unmatched physical characteristics:
* EPDM has superior resistance to UV (ultraviolet) radiation
* EPDM has unmatched resistance to thermal shock
* EPDM exhibits superior resistance to cyclic fatigue
* EPDM has superior resistance to hail damage
* EPDM will not become brittle and will not shatter due to low temperature flexibility

8. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BLACK EPDM AND WHITE EPDM MEMBRANE?
In addition to the oils and the polymers used to make an EPDM membrane, another ingredient is added to the mix to enhance UV resistance. In the case of a black membrane, carbon black is added, which converts UV rays into heat. With white membrane, in lieu of carbon black, titanium dioxide is typically used to reflect UV rays and prevent it from attacking the polymer.

10. DOES EPDM REQUIRE SYSTEMATIC MAINTENANCE OR ADDITIONAL COATINGS OR TREATMENT TO ACHIEVE ITS LIFE EXPECTANCY?
No. No special coating or other surface treatment is required. General maintenance in the form of good housekeeping should periodically be performed to remove debris and leaves and to investigate the performance of other components.

11. IS THE PERFORMANCE OF THE EPDM MEMBRANE ADVERSELY AFFECTED GEOGRAPHICALLY DUE TO TEMPERATURE EXTREMES?
In laboratory testing EPDM is subject to the most severe heat aging where samples are subjected to temperatures of 240 F for 4 weeks. Also, in several studies field samples were collected from various geographic locations after years of exposure and in both cases (laboratory and field), the physical properties of the samples exceeded the original ASTM specification. Presently, there are numerous EPDM installations throughout colder regions in the U.S. (i.e., Alaska, Minnesota) as well as in the hot and humid climates of southern Florida and Texas. For the past 25 years, EPDM has been the roofing membrane of choice for many commercial and manufacturing facilities internationally. The material will not shatter in extreme, cold temperatures and remains flexible under severe thermal shock such as in dessert areas where evenings are extremely cold and days extremely hot.

13. IS EPDM UV RESISTANT?
After more than two decades of field exposure in different climatic conditions, samples collected of EPDM membrane show no evidence of crazing or cracking. As a result of the excellent UV resistance, EPDM membrane can be warranted up to 30 years.

15. WHAT IS THE EXPECTED LONGEVITY OF EPDM MEMBRANE?
With many EPDM installations exceeding 40 years of exposure in the field under various climatic conditions, none of the material tested has shown alarming signs of degradation. Even though it would be difficult to predict, studies have shown aged EPDM membrane as having a potential life expectancy of 50 years.
Regular inspection and repair is necessary as seals and fastenings may deteriorate. A Travel Trailer TT isn't likely to outlive the 40 year service life of an EPDM roof.

Please do not coat your roof based upon your personal layman perception of what your trailer roof should look like. Listen to the experts.

Properly matched Dicor products are highly regarded for touch-up and seal repairs. Eternabond tape is another favorite.

vic
vic
Old 05-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #28

Noob question. My deal told me that when my TT is plugged into my TV, the battery is charging. Is this true?
Old 05-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #29
Site Team

A small trickle when the engine is running.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Noob question. My deal told me that when my TT is plugged into my TV, the battery is charging. Is this true?
Yes, but.... Folks on this site report that it is not enough to really charge the battery very much. As Norty1 said, just a trickle. IMO, the long distance and small wiring has too much voltage drop to really charge the battery.

oldmanAZ is online now   Reply With Quote