Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2017, 05:29 AM   #41

That's how it's going to be for us... and maybe we take the two grandkids for short trips... But I really think the Dodge 2500 diesel is going to eventually be my tow vehicle.... My brother in law has that truck to pull his very big 5th wheel and it works for him...
Gbreaux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #42

I looked at the 2500 when I was truck shopping. I ended up with the 3500 because there really wasn't much of a price difference and the GVWR number went from 10000 pounds on the 2500 to 12300 pounds on the 3500 SRW truck. That equates to much more available payload. The 2500 has around a 2000 pound payload and the 29 RKS's 1400 pound tongue puts a big dent in that. With a 10000 GVWR, my passengers (me, wife, daughter & dogs) would have killed the remaining 600 pounds and leave no remaining payload to load anything into the bed of my truck (generator, ice chest, dirtbikes, etc.). I also experienced the same thing as bamabouie with my Ford 3/4 ton with the "definitely feeling it back there" sensation. Either way you go, you will definitely enjoy your 29RKS.

I am glad you are putting so much thought into this now. I see a lot of truck/travel trailer combos out on the highway that are obviously grossly overloaded and I can't fathom why people would risk their own (and others) safety that way. I am a firm believer that "too much" is far better than "not enough". Good luck and feel free to ask me if you have more questions. I am more than happy to share what I learned in my experience.
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 24FB (Sold)
1984 Jayco J-Series 1008 (Sold)

Darin is offline   Reply With Quote