Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
Thought of something else! As I never really payed much attention to it with the popup, what IS the size of my trailer - do you say it's a 26 footer or is it considered a 30 footer (I know it's an additional 3 feet with the tongue)? when I booked sites online for Michigan State Parks, you have to pick 25', 30', 35', etc. and I don't know if I should be looking at the 25' or the 30'?
Years ago we booked at a site at a popular campground on what turned out to be a "peak" weekend. Don accidently booked the site for the "box size" of our tt. They literally gave us that sized campsite. They wound up turning us away because they didn't have a bigger spot to accomodate us, and wouldn't allow us to camp in the smaller site because we hung over by a couple of feet Yup! Definitely go with bumper (include bikes if they are attached) to hitch length!

-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #12

darrin welcom. First the water pump is what it is loud, second the waste tote, i wanted on real bad and thought id use it. DW was concerned with money and said LETS SEE IF WE NEED IT. We use the shower house for showers, and most bathroom visits, Our camper rules are, CONSERVE WATER EVERY CHANCE YOU CAN. Thus conserving waist tank space. We also take 2 5 gallon drinking jugs with water from home for drinking and cooking. So the camper water is used for flushes, and washing hands and dishes. My wifes reward for conserving water is a Sunday shower in the camper. I personally like the shower house. Turn it on HOT and let it RUN. We usually dump half a tank of fresh water and neither of our black or grey tanks are ever half full on a 3 night stay.
The ball hitch, if it is a new hitch give it a year and it will rub the new off and loosen up. Our new rig was the same way, seemed Id lift the truck off the ground b4 the ball would let go. Now it comes right off.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #13

If you haven't greased the ball, give that a try, too.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #14

My wife and I conserve as well, using the showers (when deemed "OK" by the DW!) and such. The toilet and "bath" is for the two kids, as it's much easier to clean them up after a long hot day in the camper.

I'm still just amazed at how many people were picking up new trailers this past Thursday and heading out to go camping right away. I literally spent two whole days not only familierizing myself with the camper, but also working through little problems. the awning wasn't retracting properly (needed to work the unlock/lock slider many times to even out the movement) and this took some time to sort through. Like I said in my earlier post, the electric tongue jack blew a fuse (which was a unique fuse, one I would not have had - have since switched) and just plain putting all our camping stuff back in the trailer properly.

Like with my popup, I'm a firm believer in "Camp Driveway". Being an engineer, I just like to know how it all works and, more importantly, what the work-arounds if something goes wrong. I also drove the trailer in tight shopping areas (Home Depot during a flower sale! Now that was a little intimidating), on the highway for awhile and through the backroads.

anyway, enough rambling! We are excited to be taking our first trip next weekend to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (one of our absolute favorite campgrounds - Platte River)!
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post

One question I do have is are there any tips for getting the hitch off the ball? It just seems like I need to raise the tongue so high for it to get off. Too high, in my opinion, so I know I must be doing something wrong.

thanks again for all the help!
Of course it's good to keep it greased but there are times when the hitch doesn't want to lift from the ball (or go onto it). When that happens, one of us will put the transmission into neutral and let the truck settle into where it wants to connect/disconnect with the ball.

LOL Now if you can envision this... when all else fails, Don or I (usually Don) will stand and bounce on the bumper to encourage it along
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #16

The drill saves a lot of time but be careful....when it's tight it will jerk your arm! You will also be surprised how easy your TT will be to manuver in the campgrounds. I went from a 35 ft 5er to a 35 ft TT and the TT is much more responsive when backing, much easier to hit your mark the first time.