Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2021, 07:57 AM   #1

Propex Furnace

Has anyone replaced their furnace with a Propex? If so relate your experience. Domatic SUCKS!
Oathkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:07 AM   #2

Problems

Curious as to what issues you're having with your current furnace, model, and rv it's installed in.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #3

2019 Redhawk 22a
Domitec DFMD30111
It ignites and immediately goes out.
New sale switch and board
Do not want to replace with same
Old 09-07-2021, 09:54 AM   #4

I had not heard of Propex until today. Their most powerful unit is the HS2800 Furnace, the spec sheet states it outputs 9500 BTU of heat. edit: your Redhawk has a 30KBTU furnace, about 70% efficient, so the output will be around 21K BTU. This ProPex furnace maybe way undersized for your MH, It might be well worth taking some MH dimensions, to figure out your total cubic feet, and call one of the 5 US dealers, which are all west of the Rockies.

Back to your Dometic heater issue. Can you tell us a little more about your ignition issue? Rough timing of sequence of what is happening? How long does it burn?, does it even ignite? Starts, but when it cycles it wont relight? Does it display any error codes?

There really is not much to these furnaces. Main control board, fan, ignitor, sail switch, flame sensor, solenoid valve.

One thing most of use experience, when lighting the furnace the first time, we need to light the stove first, to purge the gas line. Also that does not always work, due to appliance locations. So I sometimes, have to cycle the furnace a couple times before the gas line is purged and will stay lite.

Without knowing the details of how your furnace is behaving; My first place to look would be the sail switch, as it tends to be the #1 issue. Sounds like you already replaced it. Typical issues; dirty, worn out, or has the wrong angle, and cannot catch the air movement to complete the circuit. If the sail was bent when installed, that maybe your issue. Pending on your altitude, this angle can be in issue on a perfectly working sail switch. It is a simple micro switch, and you could have just gotten a bad one, and just needs to be replaced again.

One thing I do not like about most RV furnaces, there is no return air filter. So any pet hair and other crude can make its way to the return air inlet. The sail switch can do a great job catching this debris. Other item item that cause people issues, is the outside exhaust port. Some critters like to setup home in the exhaust tube and block the exhaust flow, which shuts down the furnace. Mud Daubers, and mice, tend to be the biggest issues, but there are other pests too. Well worth making sure the exhaust system is clear. Many people add external bug covers to help reduce this issue.

Good luck, If you proceed with the Propex heater, let us know how it works.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #5
CAG

I have found that at high altitudes mine takes several tries before it lights and stays on. I thought I was having an issue but the RV in the space next to me did the same thing. I have had this happen at locations at 5K feet and 8K feet altitude. While there could be something malfunctioning, I think it is probably normal. If you are at sea level and it is doing that all of the time it might be a problem with one of the mentioned components.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #6

OK,

Thermostat sends signal, fan goes on, delay, sound of ignition, runs for 2 secs, goes off, fan continues to run. I have had it reignite over and over with same results.

Dealer had it in shop for one week, installed new board and sail switch. I don't know whether switch was replaced or cleaned. They claim that they are at a stall.

This unit has a terrible reputation. Replacing it with a new but same modal would be a for of insanity, There are no others with compatible dimensions
Old 09-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #7
Site Team

Sorry you're having an issue but there's not much left that controls the flame, that hasn't already been replaced. Unless there's an issue with the onboard propane system, there's a gas valve, and a flame sensor.

For grins, check out some of this fellows videos. He's methodic, doesn't talk your ear off for the first 10 minutes, gets right to the diagnosis, and really knows what he's doing. That's besides sharing his expertise for free. He might give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...0utYK7sVOKwXVY

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:33 PM   #8

You may hear of more issues with Dometic, but the likely reason (imo) as that there are more of them in RV's. In any case, your issue sounds as if the flame sensor is not working and\or not sending a signal back to the control board. I would replace it if it was mine. Here is a link to what I am talking about, however you need to search the second link with your exact model number.

To answer your question more succinctly. No, I have never replaced my furnace in any of my RV's, just repaired and cleaned them out as needed.

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometi...ter-electrode/

main list of furnaces for parts.
https://pantherrvproducts.com/furnaces/breakdowns/

~CA