Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Iraqvet05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,714
Who rents at these prices?

Several years ago the DW and I rented a PUP from a local Marine Corps MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) center or around $30 a night. Since we bought our TT a few years ago I hadn't given much thought about renting any type of RV until a local RV dealer started a radio ad touting their sales and rentals.

I took a look at the dealers rental prices and I was shocked at the high prices and wondered how they even find people to rent them.

For instance, their rentals are 3 days minimum and a Coachman 17FQ TT will run you $591 for that period. A 32' Class A (Coachmen Pursuit 29SB) will run you $1096 for the same time period if you put less than 300 miles on the unit.

Do these prices seem pretty high or is this the norm for a rental unit?
__________________
2018 28BHBE
2017 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2 gasser
2013 26BH (traded)
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
JoeMazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Orlando
Posts: 179
In Orlando, class A rentals are $1,500.00 to $2,500.00 a week. Many people with storage issues will sub their rigs to these places. They make some money and have their rigs stored for free. If you don't mind other people in your RV it's a good deal.
__________________
Joe Mazz
2015 Precept 35UP
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: oneonta ny
Posts: 534
insane
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,431
In my area pop-ups are a one week minimum, regardless if you only want it for 3 nights. It's around $500 for a week.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E (sold)
2016 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2 Z71 Crew Cab (sold, and dearly missed)
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Dagwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ottawa - Canada Eh
Posts: 405
Here in Ottawa Canada I looked into renting a pup. I was shocked when I was looking at about 900 for two Weeks. Can't specifically recall but it was enough that I decided to just outright buy one so we could camp anytime we liked.

Here's the link to a local Rental place.

Ottawa Camping Trailers Rental Department.

Click on the rentals tab at top of the page to see the Pups, TT or 5th Wheels.

PUP - 8ft $485/week, 10Ft $550/Week (CDN $$$)
__________________
Wayne, Kim, Mallory & Abby the Dog
2013 - Jayco Jayfeather - X20E
2012 - Toyota Tacoma DBLCB Sr5 with towing package
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,283
My two cents…

I live very near Yosemite and Sequoia NP. There are lots of rental locations around here, both National and Local companies. They have prices like you mentioned, and we have always thought it was crazy too. We looked into a couple times for friends and family that want to go with us, but we can't accommodate everyone in our TT so rental sounded like an idea, till we saw the prices.

Then we started thinking how fun it would be to go to Fort Wilderness at Disney World. We certainly don't have time or desire to tow 3000+ miles so our choices are hotel/resort or rent an RV when we get there. We haven't pulled the trigger on that yet, but renting would likely be our choice because want the Fort Wilderness experience. We have done Disney staying the resorts, which are very nice, but think camping in the fort would just be a lot of fun.

Second, back to where I live, we have hordes of tourists flocking to the National Parks. Both International and domestic, they are paying what ever it cost to have the RV camping experience in those parks. Very much like when we travel to Europe we pay whatever it cost to have the experience we want. At time like that its not about money.

So I guess the rental companies have figured out they don't want their target market to the local family who want to go RV/TT camping occasionally. They want the destination minded family that is buying an experience, not simply renting an RV.
__________________
2020 Ram 1500 5.7L
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison (Sold)
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH (Sold)
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Filthy-Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 269
Wife and I were planning a trip to a big camping rally around Geo Caching a few years ago. All 3 kids, (late teens, early 20s), jumped on the band wagon and brought friends. So we rented a C class and took our popup too. Great time had by all.
__________________
2015 Jay Flight 31 RLDS
2015 F250, Reese straightline
Ham Lic: W4TFB
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,431
Clubhouse, you hit it right on the head.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E (sold)
2016 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2 Z71 Crew Cab (sold, and dearly missed)
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
JoeMazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Orlando
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
My two cents…

I live very near Yosemite and Sequoia NP. There are lots of rental locations around here, both National and Local companies. They have prices like you mentioned, and we have always thought it was crazy too. We looked into a couple times for friends and family that want to go with us, but we can't accommodate everyone in our TT so rental sounded like an idea, till we saw the prices.

Then we started thinking how fun it would be to go to Fort Wilderness at Disney World. We certainly don't have time or desire to tow 3000+ miles so our choices are hotel/resort or rent an RV when we get there. We haven't pulled the trigger on that yet, but renting would likely be our choice because want the Fort Wilderness experience. We have done Disney staying the resorts, which are very nice, but think camping in the fort would just be a lot of fun.

Second, back to where I live, we have hordes of tourists flocking to the National Parks. Both International and domestic, they are paying what ever it cost to have the RV camping experience in those parks. Very much like when we travel to Europe we pay whatever it cost to have the experience we want. At time like that its not about money.

So I guess the rental companies have figured out they don't want their target market to the local family who want to go RV/TT camping occasionally. They want the destination minded family that is buying an experience, not simply renting an RV.
I live in Orlando and worked at Disney. We have stayed at every resort and the Fort is the best...You will have a great time
JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Country_Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 572
We live in SoCal and rented a couple of times to see how we liked RV'ing vs. tenting. It cost us roughly $120/night for a 27 ft trailer. More if you wanted to rent the generator too. We talked ourselves into buying our own trailer because the storage for the year would be about the same as renting for one week. About the same as a hotel room but we find it more fun to camp.
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:16 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: In a house
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMazz View Post
I live in Orlando and worked at Disney. We have stayed at every resort and the Fort is the best...You will have a great time
Fort Wilderness also have the cabin/homes you can rent. They are basically a one family "hotel", but made to look like a cabin, with all the same frills of camping at Ft. Wilderness.
__________________


2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Rochester
Posts: 109
When you tally up cost of the RV, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, license, storage, tow vehicle, toad etc, it makes perfect sense to rent an RV at that price. Unless you are an every weekend or full timer, the finances don't add up (ie. saving money) on a vacation. We all spend money to have the "experience" and the convenience of having our own.

I sat down and did the math. I want to go camping with my family for a week in Utah. When factoring in food, gas, campsites etc, I can fly there, rent an identical (or better) RV for a week and camp cheaper than I can drive mine there.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:21 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: In a house
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
When you tally up cost of the RV, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, license, storage, tow vehicle, toad etc, it makes perfect sense to rent an RV at that price. Unless you are an every weekend or full timer, the finances don't add up (ie. saving money) on a vacation. We all spend money to have the "experience" and the convenience of having our own.

I sat down and did the math. I want to go camping with my family for a week in Utah. When factoring in food, gas, campsites etc, I can fly there, rent an identical (or better) RV for a week and camp cheaper than I can drive mine there.
Very true, but the experience of driving to a location....for me, priceless. I am one of the few I guess that still likes to drive to a location, all the while viewing out from the windshield, places I've never seen before. I'll even crack a window and take in a smell or two, both good and bad, then wonder why I complain to my wife about how bad a particular place smells; she then tells me to "stop smelling then, and roll up the window"!

That part gets lost if I were to fly in somewhere. I recall as a kid going on family vacations in dads deluxe cruiser station wagon. I still like to do this.
__________________


2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:37 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,835
Those rental prices are why I bought a brand new trailer.


Over $1K for an extended weekend. Because of how much we use it, it'll pay for itself in about 3 years.


Which is how long those rental units are in service. Then they are unscrupulously sold as 'used'.
__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:36 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: memphis
Posts: 290
Face it, you're paying for the convenience and the experience. If you trailered your RV from CA to Disney, what would your additional expenses be in decreased gas mileage, nightly site fees, and time..........add it all up and I'm betting it would come pretty close to renting a unit in Orlando. Base Pro just opened up a new show case store in the Memphis Pyramid to the tune of hundred of millions, with a large portion of that coming from the City itself (and I'm not gonna get on that thread this morning, my BP is high already), $10 to ride a glass elevator up the center of the building to Observation Decks, Restaurant and Bar.......third floor hotel rooms looking out over the panorama of the store, mock cyprus swamp, fish ponds, etc., etc., all decorated in themed looks consistent with "outdoor" living.......all for the starting price of $295 and up....throw in all the add ons fees and taxes (mandatory) and you're hitting $375 for their cheapest room. I told my wife it would only be worth it if I could figure out someway to slip down into the store from the balcony after hours and restock my tackle box......just kidding.
__________________
Steve and Lisa
Un-tethered buoys in the shipping lanes of life.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:00 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Iraqvet05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,714
I get the destination experience like Florida and Yosemite. People saving up splurge for trips like that but I don't consider Kansas City a tourist hotspot Maybe that dealer has to raise prices to make a profit in our short midwest camping season.
__________________
2018 28BHBE
2017 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2 gasser
2013 26BH (traded)
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.