Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #1

How do you make your coffee?

It's not even possible for me to think about going without coffee. Not possible. I've been bringing my espresso maker camping with me over a one burner grill but it's just not enough java. Bought one of those enameled percolators and the darn thing perked coffee all over my Coleman stove last time and made a huge mess. Don't know how much water or coffee to add to it. Thought about bringing my Senseo but not sure when we'll have electricity.

I will have the stove in the camper or the outdoor sidekick grill. When you don't have electricity, how do YOU make coffee? I like it really strong and the idea of the percolator messing up my new stove gives me hives.

Would love to know what YOU do!

Thanks, Kim

2008 CHEV SILVERADO Crew Cab LT
2012 Jayco X18D
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:59 AM   #2
Site Team

We carry a 12 cup percolator for emergency use when out of AC. It serves a duel use as a pot to heat water on the gas range for Ice tea and such.

When on the grid, I have a drip pot mounted under the cabinet by the range.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #3

Keurig coffee maker. I just fire up the generator long enough to perk.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:32 AM   #4

I have a common stove top perk, its a small 7 cup aluminum pot, don't know the brand, but its a cheap one. It works great!

I have a large expensive 12 cup stainless that doesn't work at all. The problem is the bottom of the basket pipe is way too small and only covers a small portion of the bottom of the pot. The water boils around it and doesn't go up the tube. Just something to look for when buying one, you need the bottom to cover most of the pot bottom.

Here is the one I use, I know it needs some cleaning.

Whoops, this website won't upload a pic. It would have to be loaded to a website and a link inserted, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #5

I have a 10 cup drip perk that goes into a thermos, A 4 cup drip perk, and a 12 cup Coleman camp drip perk... OK that takes care of before lunch...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Keurig coffee maker. I just fire up the generator long enough to perk.
X2
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #7

I think I love you all. I actually looked at a mini Keurig to buy but thought my husband would like me. He thinks I'm a kitchen gadget hoarder. But I can't live without my Vitamix! : )

For you percolator types: I don't know the ratio of water to coffee. The pot boils over and coffee goes everywhere and the grounds get into the coffee! I think I have an 8 cup pot. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Kim

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 09-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I have a 10 cup drip perk that goes into a thermos, A 4 cup drip perk, and a 12 cup Coleman camp drip perk... OK that takes care of before lunch...
We could be friends. Very good friends. :hihi:

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenelz View Post
I have a large expensive 12 cup stainless that doesn't work at all. The problem is the bottom of the basket pipe is way too small and only covers a small portion of the bottom of the pot. The water boils around it and doesn't go up the tube. Just something to look for when buying one, you need the bottom to cover most of the pot bottom.
That is a bummer. I still don't know what I will do. Except for one possible stretch on our upcoming trip, we probably won't be too far off the grid for a coffee shop run but boy there is nothing better than the smell of pine and coffee. Two of God's best gifts, IMO.

I love the idea of a percolator. Love it. But those coffee grounds just ruin it for me! A generator is out of the question. DH loves his quiet. Wonder if they have a small, hand-held one for coffee pots? :hihi:

Kim

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 09-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #10

[QUOTE=norty1;37236]We carry a 12 cup percolator for emergency use when out of AC.QUOTE]

Does it ever boil over? What about the coffee grounds? Get in your coffee?

Thanks, Kim

Perhaps I should go find some directions....

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 09-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #11

For boondocking or dry camping due to regs with timing of generator starts we use a french press. I personaly prefer this as the coffee is red hot and I can let it steep as long or short as I want to my tasting. The one I have I picked up in Target for about $15.00. Get a good glass one that will do about 5 cups or more. No filters, just ad the grinds and then hot water direct and let it sit for 3-5mins. Then you press the lever down which filters out the grinds and gives you a perfect cup of joe. This get's us started early, before the genny is up then we have a regular 12 cup drip that we also use when at full service parks.

I still prefer the press since I like it hot and strong. You will need a tea kettle or pot for the FP to boil water or heat to your preffered temp.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #12

The trick to those percolators is to watch them carefully! Start them on high and AS SOON as the water appears in the bubble on top, turn them as low as the burner will go. You want it to perk slowly. It will work on a Coleman type propane stove but will not work on a Camp Chef high output type stove. They stay too hot. The stove in my trailer goes pretty low as well and I would guess that it would work fine as well but I haven't tried it. Good luck! And I have found that you will always have a little bit of sediment on the bottom, just pour slowly as to not mix it in and leave the last quarter cup or so for the ground.
MacEFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
Site Team

If we have electricity, we use a Hamilton Beach Stay-or-Go.

No electric, we boil water and use a Melita drip.

For the ultimate coffee while camping experience, there's nothing like coffee perked over a campfire or outside stove. Just the smell as it perks is almost orgasmic.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #14

My Keurig is the mini. It fits perfectly to the left side of the sink.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
For boondocking or dry camping due to regs with timing of generator starts we use a french press.
I love French press! Brilliant idea! I can use the percolator to boil the water for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEFL View Post
The trick to those percolators is to watch them carefully! Start them on high and AS SOON as the water appears in the bubble on top, turn them as low as the burner will go. You want it to perk slowly.
YES! Sounds like a great answer. I will try this. Might even throw a small filter in the basket and see if it reduces the sludge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
For the ultimate coffee while camping experience, there's nothing like coffee perked over a campfire or outside stove. Just the smell as it perks is almost orgasmic.
Totally!

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 09-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #16

kim we use an electric drip 8 cup faberware, water to the line for 4,6,or 8 cups, 5 teaspoons for 8 cups.Larry
Old 09-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
Site Team

We`ve done it cowboy style when Scout camping with the old perky over the stove or fire. Its trial and error to get it right but as with most cooking the key is to keep an eye on it and not too much heat. The coffee tastes especially good on a cold crisp morning. In the Jayco I just use the automatic drip as I always have electric.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #18

Instead of the french press, do a Google search on "Aeropress", same concept a french press but no grounds and better flavor. I keep one in the trailer and one at home. Makes wonderful coffee.
phemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxKim View Post
That is a bummer. I still don't know what I will do. Except for one possible stretch on our upcoming trip, we probably won't be too far off the grid for a coffee shop run but boy there is nothing better than the smell of pine and coffee. Two of God's best gifts, IMO.

I love the idea of a percolator. Love it. But those coffee grounds just ruin it for me! A generator is out of the question. DH loves his quiet. Wonder if they have a small, hand-held one for coffee pots? :hihi:

Kim
Use the same amount of coffee as you do in your other makers. I like 1 scoop per 2 1/2 cups of coffee, same as I use in my Melita drip at the house.

When using the pecolator, use a high flame until it starts to perk, then cut the fire down so it perks about twice a second. Most pecolators have a clear knob on top so you can see it perk. You might have to adjust a few times to keep the right perk going at a slow steady rate, after you use it a few times, it will become second nature.

Don't worry about the time, it will only get so strong as the grounds get used up. Once it starts perking, about 10 or 15 minutes is what I leave it go for.

When done remove from heat and give it time for the basket to drain and then remove the basket before pouring. If you pour a cup right away, the grounds will float up and out into your cup.

I also have a Faberware 8-cup electric percolator that I use if I have hookups. Its very fast, takes about 10 minutes from time you plug it in.

Ken

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by phemens View Post
Instead of the french press, do a Google search on "Aeropress", same concept a french press but no grounds and better flavor. I keep one in the trailer and one at home. Makes wonderful coffee.
So I watched a few videos on YouTube and it looks like great coffee. But do you make only one cup at a time? Do you have a spouse who drinks coffee? I'm just thinking that it's too much work for one cup of coffee? 'Cause then I'd have to do it all over again for hubby. And then twice more if we want seconds. It sounds intriguing but too much work. Do I have it right?

Thanks, Kim

2012 Jayco X18D