Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2022, 01:33 PM   #1

Real Basic Grub!

I have to say that my family was always very easy to cook for. They were the total opposite of picky eaters. That being said, when we RV I usually prepare really basic, Americana style road meals.
Breakfast would be sausage/bacon/egg on a hard roll or plate. Or yogurt with berries.
Lunch could be anything from a hearty soup/grilled cheese sandwiches to pasta any way you like.
Dinner is burgers or hotdogs with grilled onoins, or a nice steak and baked potato to celebrate the trip. Except when we do the Maine run, then its lobsters any time, day and night!
Old 02-26-2022, 01:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Due to some health issues, I've had to basically go Keto (only carbs allowed are cruciferous veg). Thankfully, that leaves all of the basic camp foods available, bacon, eggs, meat on the grill, etc. I'm almost looking forward to camp cooking again this season. Back to basics.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 03:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Due to some health issues, I've had to basically go Keto (only carbs allowed are cruciferous veg). Thankfully, that leaves all of the basic camp foods available, bacon, eggs, meat on the grill, etc. I'm almost looking forward to camp cooking again this season. Back to basics.
Sounds a lot like the Atkins Diet. Lots of big steaks and chops, burgers and dogs, vegetables with butter, and sugar free puddings and jellos with whipped cream. If you’re susceptible to gout watch out, that diet is brutal.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:03 PM   #4

Fresh catch of the day, usually Perch or Walleye that is beer battered pan fried over campfire with baked potato wrapped in aluminum foil tossed into campfire to cook. If no luck fishing then its Beef Stew cooked in a Dutch Oven over campfire. On special occasions - "Garbage Can Turkey" (20 lb. turkey, 20 lb. bag of charcoal, 20 gallon steel garbage can, 2 hours to cook.)

For breakfast, pork sausage gravy and biscuits with eggs.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 04:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
Fresh catch of the day, usually Perch or Walleye that is beer battered pan fried over campfire with baked potato wrapped in aluminum foil tossed into campfire to cook. If no luck fishing then its Beef Stew cooked in a Dutch Oven over campfire. On special occasions - "Garbage Can Turkey" (20 lb. turkey, 20 lb. bag of charcoal, 20 gallon steel garbage can, 2 hours to cook.)

For breakfast, pork sausage gravy and biscuits with eggs.
Now that sounds like some good eatin’ to me! Bon Appetite
Old 02-26-2022, 04:42 PM   #6

I've been a lifelong eater of whatever was in front of me. In November I had to make a change after finding out I am pre-diabetic. Now watching my unfriendly carbs and sugar intake to hopefully reverse the process.

Not nearly as exciting as some of the above menus but when we travel we tend to eat like when we are at home. We have duplicates of our home kitchen gadgets in the Pinnacle like an Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi air fryer/toaster oven, electric griddle and a Ninja bullet type blender for smoothies. Our meals now consist of usually a salad followed by a meat and a green veggie of some sort or a stir fry with chickens and veggies. Breakfast is usually an egg or two with a low carb bread for toast or some steel cut oats. So that will be our traveling meals also.

Looking forward to getting out as soon as spring rears its beautiful head.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
I've been a lifelong eater of whatever was in front of me. In November I had to make a change after finding out I am pre-diabetic. Now watching my unfriendly carbs and sugar intake to hopefully reverse the process.

Not nearly as exciting as some of the above menus but when we travel we tend to eat like when we are at home. We have duplicates of our home kitchen gadgets in the Pinnacle like an Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi air fryer/toaster oven, electric griddle and a Ninja bullet type blender for smoothies. Our meals now consist of usually a salad followed by a meat and a green veggie of some sort or a stir fry with chickens and veggies. Breakfast is usually an egg or two with a low carb bread for toast or some steel cut oats. So that will be our traveling meals also.

Looking forward to getting out as soon as spring rears its beautiful head.

You’re doing absolutely the right thing, Jim. I had a scare this week with my eyes, and being pre-diabetic myself, I got all wound up that it was diabetic retinopathy occurring. Happily the surgeon assured me my eyes are healthy and diabetes free at this point in my life. It turned out to be nothing more than “floaters”. But hang in there. You seem to have all your dietary cooking equipment needs covered in you TT. Let’s live long and happy lives!
frank d.
Old 02-26-2022, 05:37 PM   #8

All good meals.

We're not picky eaters, but when camping we try to keep it simple. Pending on the duration of the trip, depends a bit on meal selection. My preferred breakfast is more of a grab and go style. Maybe some cereal, roll, yogurt, fruit. Often we will do atleast one larger breakfast, often pancakes, french toast, fully loaded breakfast burritos. We found packages of fresh diced veggies in our local grocery store, so it simplifies things.

Lunch, our favorite is a block of cheese, pepperoni, and crackers (easy trail food). Dinners, could be almost anything. One of my favorites is walking tacos with homemade guacamole. Sometimes with ground beef, but often with smoked chicken or pork. Another simple dinner lately has been Phillie beef sandwichs.

The Blackstone makes many meals quick and easy, with easy cleanup.

Our goal, is quick and simple, with easy cleanup.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
All good meals.

We're not picky eaters, but when camping we try to keep it simple. Pending on the duration of the trip, depends a bit on meal selection. My preferred breakfast is more of a grab and go style. Maybe some cereal, roll, yogurt, fruit. Often we will do atleast one larger breakfast, often pancakes, french toast, fully loaded breakfast burritos. We found packages of fresh diced veggies in our local grocery store, so it simplifies things.

Lunch, our favorite is a block of cheese, pepperoni, and crackers (easy trail food). Dinners, could be almost anything. One of my favorites is walking tacos with homemade guacamole. Sometimes with ground beef, but often with smoked chicken or pork. Another simple dinner lately has been Phillie beef sandwichs.

The Blackstone makes many meals quick and easy, with easy cleanup.

Our goal, is quick and simple, with easy cleanup.
All terrific meal ideas(I really like lunch) with quick, simple prep and easy cleanup. Sounds like my kind of meals!
Old 02-26-2022, 08:48 PM   #10

If it doesn't come out of my weber kettle, dutch oven, or a cast iron skillet, it doesn't happen. Almost forgot foil packs in the fire.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:40 PM   #11

Camp cooking is one my favorite past times when camping! Breakfast is the standard bacon, sausage, eggs or pancakes and can’t forget hash browns with onions, red and green peppers. Lunch is anything from sandwiches to hotdogs over the campfire. For a treat, sometimes I’ll make some Philly cheesesteaks on the Blackstone. Dinner is usually some kind of meat from hamburgers to steaks or bbq pulled pork. We have a portable smoker for smoking a brisket when the extended family goes camping with us!

Dang! Now I’m hungry!

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
If it doesn't come out of my weber kettle, dutch oven, or a cast iron skillet, it doesn't happen. Almost forgot foil packs in the fire.
Don't forget those foil packs, they are the best part of the meals!
Old 02-27-2022, 07:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
Camp cooking is one my favorite past times when camping! Breakfast is the standard bacon, sausage, eggs or pancakes and can’t forget hash browns with onions, red and green peppers. Lunch is anything from sandwiches to hotdogs over the campfire. For a treat, sometimes I’ll make some Philly cheesesteaks on the Blackstone. Dinner is usually some kind of meat from hamburgers to steaks or bbq pulled pork. We have a portable smoker for smoking a brisket when the extended family goes camping with us!

Dang! Now I’m hungry!

Mmmmm…..brisket!!! Now i have to find a good delicatessen in town🙀
Old 02-27-2022, 07:35 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieSaysRelax View Post
Sounds a lot like the Atkins Diet. Lots of big steaks and chops, burgers and dogs, vegetables with butter, and sugar free puddings and jellos with whipped cream. If you’re susceptible to gout watch out, that diet is brutal.
Pretty similar except you never really reintroduce carbs like you eventually do with the Atkins approach. So far so good with no side effects.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:05 AM   #15

I'll cook anything from eggs, bacon, grits, hashbrowns, blueberry pancakes, mountain breakfast or biscuits an gravy, breakfast burritos or egg/sausage biscuits on packing day.
Lunch is typically sandwiches and chips.
Dinners can be all over the place. Frog legs, venison chunks w/gravy over popcorn rice, homemade Bourbon Chipotle Brats w/chips or fries, grilled fish w/grilled veggies maybe some fried oysters, venison steaks with potatoes, bbq ribs, venison burgers and fries or a homemade pizza. I've done pork ribs stuffed with an apple dressing cooked in a dutch oven. Vension shank Osso Buco will be on a menu this yr now that I have that all but mastered that.
Dinners are all over the place but rarely ever involve hot dogs. Although with gas prices this yr there may be a dinner or 2 consisting of some Bar S Jumbo hot dogs.
One constant is a Pontchoula Strawberry Pie for desert with homemade whip cream. To fill the gaps it's either cookies or cookie ice cream popsicles.

Can't wait for the first trip which will be the races in Atlanta. I'll be cooking for 6 people so that'll be fun
Old 02-27-2022, 10:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I'll cook anything from eggs, bacon, grits, hashbrowns, blueberry pancakes, mountain breakfast or biscuits an gravy, breakfast burritos or egg/sausage biscuits on packing day.
Lunch is typically sandwiches and chips.
Dinners can be all over the place. Frog legs, venison chunks w/gravy over popcorn rice, homemade Bourbon Chipotle Brats w/chips or fries, grilled fish w/grilled veggies maybe some fried oysters, venison steaks with potatoes, bbq ribs, venison burgers and fries or a homemade pizza. I've done pork ribs stuffed with an apple dressing cooked in a dutch oven. Vension shank Osso Buco will be on a menu this yr now that I have that all but mastered that.
Dinners are all over the place but rarely ever involve hot dogs. Although with gas prices this yr there may be a dinner or 2 consisting of some Bar S Jumbo hot dogs.
One constant is a Pontchoula Strawberry Pie for desert with homemade whip cream. To fill the gaps it's either cookies or cookie ice cream popsicles.

Can't wait for the first trip which will be the races in Atlanta. I'll be cooking for 6 people so that'll be fun

You sound like a restaurant cat to me. Those are wonderful menus you put together! My family asks me for Osso Buco around any holiday. Beef, veal or lamb shanks all get equal billing depending what good cuts I can find at the time. Most times over a bed of mushroom risotto, or even an al-dente rigatoni.
Bon Apitite to you and yours!
Old 02-27-2022, 11:43 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
You sound like a restaurant cat to me. Those are wonderful menus you put together! My family asks me for Osso Buco around any holiday. Beef, veal or lamb shanks all get equal billing depending what good cuts I can find at the time. Most times over a bed of mushroom risotto, or even an al-dente rigatoni.
Speaking from experience, member Woodworker has probably one of the most elaborate camp cooking setups of anyone that I have seen in all of my years involved in RVing. He's humble and would never say it himself, but he is truly amazing at what he does.

Hopefully he will post up some pictures of some of the things that he puts together on their trips and event weekends.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:

I put it over egg noodles, not that fancy LOL. Can't do the beef or lamb because of gout. Probably shouldn't do the venison but so far so good no attacks after ingestion.

Bon Appetit!
Old 02-27-2022, 12:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I put it over egg noodles, not that fancy LOL. Can't do the beef or lamb because of gout. Probably shouldn't do the venison but so far so good no attacks after ingestion.

Bon Appetit!
Hmmm…I bet osso buco is delicious over a good egg noodle! OK, saved to file.😂

BTW-when are those characters that own What-A-Burger, down around your way(DFW), going to come to the east coast? I petitioned them for years to let me
set up a franchising devision for them. They would be huge in the NY-NJ market. But they weren’t having any! I tried. Bahahaha😹
Old 02-27-2022, 12:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Speaking from experience, member Woodworker has probably one of the most elaborate camp cooking setups of anyone that I have seen in all of my years involved in RVing. He's humble and would never say it himself, but he is truly amazing at what he does.

Hopefully he will post up some pictures of some of the things that he puts together on their trips and event weekends.
Yes Woodworker, please put up some pictures!

I knew it!!! Just the way Woodworker wrote about food. How wonderful to hear a true foodie taking their craft on the road with them.

Just so happens, I have relatives in Richardson, so when the wife and I make our way to DFW sometime, let’s hope we can put together a cooking extravaganza! We can trade off Prilosec and gout meds!
The best to you,
frank d.