Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2021, 05:50 AM   #61

Quantum - when you say 5inch hanger, do you mean the distance from the back of the hanger (that sets against the ibeam of the camper) to the end of the leg is 5inches?

If so, that's referred to as a 4-1/4 inch hanger as the distance from that back edge to the center of the hole is actually 4-1/4 inches. E-Trailer carries them....

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...ine/E4139.html

I used 6 of them when building my lift frame. Excellent quality, would absolutely order them again.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:46 PM   #62

Angry Help

Hello everyone,
Jafo here. I have a 2015 Seismic 3210 toy hauler, 36', twin axle. We bought this as 1 year old trade at the Elkhart, Indiana Museum RV show in Aug 2016. Just what we wanted. NOT!
Our first all out trip we experienced the "China Bombs" at 11 PM on the Florida Panhandle. Pulled over safely and the next day upgraded to a "G" rated tires. All 5 of them.
Since then I too have had to replace the broken shackles, by an experienced welding shop, then I replaced the "dry" shackle bolts with the "Wet system", and now the big problem.
We traveled to the Florida Keys this last winter, Jan-Mar, 2021, and in our travels hit an expansion joint or pothole in a construction area going through Tennessee. Jarred our back teeth loose! All was good after a thorough check over and we continued on. Started noticing a water drip while down there, in the kitchen/living room area, coming from the lattice strapping between the ceiling panels.
We had the roof checked in November,2020, after being inspected and sealed 2 years prior, just for preventative maintenance, and had a few small area's sealed after the pressure test. Returned home to Indiana on March 3rd and purchased a 20' X 30' tarp and covered the effected area on the roof. Called my local shop and had to wait until Aug 4th, 2021 to bring it in. Never saw any water spots or damage inside, kept it covered and dry.
Finally brought it in. Inspection showed roof truss failure, under the air conditioner, whereas the truss has given way and bowed under the weight. This caused the air conditioner to tilt and drain into the roof, not off the roof, causing the water issue. Called State Farm to file a claim. They came out to inspect before the roof was opened, and again after the roof was open. State Farm denied the claim, claiming it to be a structural issue, and not a "Sudden or accidental impact."
We are a retired couple enjoying life, and as far as we know there have been no wild dancing party's on our roof. Now we are on the hook for a several thousand dollar repair.
Our shop called it immediately, before the inspection was done. ROOF TRUSS FAILURE!
Jayco will not honor my claim, due to the factory warranty, along with my extended warranty now expired. How many others are out there with ROOF TRUSS FAILURE? WTF?

Are there any other "THREADS" out here on this roof failure? Please let me know.

Thanks to all.

Jafo
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:33 PM   #63

Cracked Broken Springs

Here are the pics of my new replacement bolted on frame springs that I received from my frame manufacturer.
Attached Thumbnails
79176766-C021-4407-989A-F4FACCF1D25F.jpg   148289D1-2AE5-470D-81E8-D3C0A44A90B7.jpg   A7CFF2AC-6D36-4FCE-800B-71906A6D2893.jpg   19961B2E-98BE-4477-A873-AEAFA7C266BB.jpg  
Tonyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:24 PM   #64

Tonyyy,
Install the Morryde X-factor braces as well (see details at this link): < https://www.morryde.com/wp-content/u..._2019_v32a.pdf >. I have now towed over 10K miles with these on & can say the trailer tows much better with than it did without them. Less side to side sway & it feels much more solid going down the road. They are designed to allow the left & right sides support each other better & eliminate twist of individual shackles.
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:10 AM   #65

Broken spring hanger

Tonnny,
Thanks for the tip. This is something I will definitely look into once we thaw out this spring. I don't get much side to side sway, but we don pull it but maybe a few times a year. And, we do pull it from our home here in northern Indiana out your way. I pull with a 2013 Silverado 3500 HD, single wheel, with the 6.6 Duramax (full delete). Our daughter lives in San Tan Valley, and we park it at our friends house (with a full hook up) in Apache Junction. Been to Chandler many, many times.
I see AZ Marine in your profile. What do you do? We sell Boat Lifts and docks out here, and we gave our daughter our old Hurricane deck boat, which we brought out there last summer. It would be good to know a local marina out your way.

Jafo (Bob)
Old 01-21-2022, 08:13 AM   #66

I had my local welding shop weld on new spring mounts. They work great.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #67

Jafo,
We pull a 2019 Octane T-30F. It is 13.5' high & 35' long BP. So wind & road conditions seem to affect it a little more. Sold our 2000 2500 Ram Diesel in late 2020 & we now tow with a 2021 RAM 3500 Limited SRW Cummings HO. With the x-factor braces & properly setup 4 point Equal-i-zer hitch, we hardly know it is back there.
As for the "Marine". I am a former US Marine ('83-'93) & have been working in package development at Intel Corp since then. Starting as equipment tech working way up to owning Development Eng.
Spent many years at the local lakes though, with our Triton SF-211, but sold that & the Palomino slid-in popup camper to get the Octane. So do not personally know marina firms here.
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:20 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
Quantum - when you say 5inch hanger, do you mean the distance from the back of the hanger (that sets against the ibeam of the camper) to the end of the leg is 5inches?

If so, that's referred to as a 4-1/4 inch hanger as the distance from that back edge to the center of the hole is actually 4-1/4 inches. E-Trailer carries them....

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...ine/E4139.html

I used 6 of them when building my lift frame. Excellent quality, would absolutely order them again.
I ended up reinforcing the existing hangers. I'm in Canada and with the border restricted it's hard to get anything from the USA.
Attached Thumbnails
20210903_183225.jpg   20210903_184506.jpg  
Old 03-03-2022, 10:41 PM   #69

Can't believe it.

Because of this thread, I made an appointment with a trailer shop to get my spring brackets reinforced. We take our Talon on a lot of washboard roads and don't want to experience a broken spring bracket in the middle of nowhere.

My service appointment is tomorrow (Friday) and so I get my trailer from the yard to bring home to put our RZR in the garage while its getting serviced. I'm a couple miles from home and look in the side mirror and see blue smoke coming from the drivers side tires. I was able to get to a good spot off the road to stop to look at the trailer tires (I'm thinking I had a break lock up), and I find a BROKEN LEAF SPRING.

The back of the spring broke so the axle moved forward and now the tires are rubbing against each other creating the blue smoke..... Ugh.

So, now the trailer is sitting in the dark on the side of the road and now I need to find a new leaf spring or mobile welder to fix the spring so I can get it to the shop to get the suspension serviced.

Maybe the silver lining here is now I will replace the factory leaf springs with a better spring as part of the suspension mods. Otherwise I would have likely kept the existing springs only to have one break on a trip somewhere.

The trailer is 4 years old so I doubt I can get Jayco to pay for this...
Ugeesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 08:11 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugeesta View Post
Can't believe it.

Because of this thread, I made an appointment with a trailer shop to get my spring brackets reinforced. We take our Talon on a lot of washboard roads and don't want to experience a broken spring bracket in the middle of nowhere.

My service appointment is tomorrow (Friday) and so I get my trailer from the yard to bring home to put our RZR in the garage while its getting serviced. I'm a couple miles from home and look in the side mirror and see blue smoke coming from the drivers side tires. I was able to get to a good spot off the road to stop to look at the trailer tires (I'm thinking I had a break lock up), and I find a BROKEN LEAF SPRING.

The back of the spring broke so the axle moved forward and now the tires are rubbing against each other creating the blue smoke..... Ugh.

So, now the trailer is sitting in the dark on the side of the road and now I need to find a new leaf spring or mobile welder to fix the spring so I can get it to the shop to get the suspension serviced.

Maybe the silver lining here is now I will replace the factory leaf springs with a better spring as part of the suspension mods. Otherwise I would have likely kept the existing springs only to have one break on a trip somewhere.

The trailer is 4 years old so I doubt I can get Jayco to pay for this...
if you don't have far to go take off one tire and at least get it to a place to be worked on... just drive slow...

you may have to use a strap of sorts to keep the axles up though... ugg sorry for your trouble.. at least it didn't ruin a trip....
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 07:15 PM   #71

Thanks.

I ended up replacing the spring myself on Friday. Took me about 4 hours total. Got it to the trailer shop where they will beef up the suspension so hopefully this won’t happen again. Think I’ll have them put 4,000 springs on instead of the stock 3,500 lb springs.

Glad it happened now and not when we were on a road trip in the middle of nowhere….
Old 03-25-2022, 09:32 PM   #72

Well, got the trailer back from the shop last week. Ended up replacing the entire suspension after further review. The shop found that the front brakes were not working so the back axle brakes were taking the whole load and shot. Both axle tires were experiencing abnormal tire ear as well.

I could have replaced just he rear axle but that seemed like a half baked job so ended up going for the full replacement. Tires and all. Hopefully I won't have to cry as I hand over my CC again with this trailer.

I went with 4,000lb springs but left the axles at 7,000lbs. Also replaced the MoRyde 3000 bracket and added the MoRyde stabilizers. Hopefully that will prevent damage to the spring brackets

The old

The new
Old 03-26-2022, 10:47 PM   #73

Ok posting back after 1.5 years ago on this thread. Today coming home from sand hollow my hangers didn't bend or break. If you look back I posted pics of the reinforcement they did on my frame at the factory. Instead of the hangers my frame cracked at the top of the 1x6 plate above the shackle on the frame. A tear in the actual I beam about 4 inches long. Also my buddy traveling with us with the exact same trailer purchased at the same time with the same reinforced hangers has 4 of 6 hangers bent. From the same trip home. We are only halfway home.
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:24 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileguy View Post
Ok posting back after 1.5 years ago on this thread. Today coming home from sand hollow my hangers didn't bend or break. If you look back I posted pics of the reinforcement they did on my frame at the factory. Instead of the hangers my frame cracked at the top of the 1x6 plate above the shackle on the frame. A tear in the actual I beam about 4 inches long. Also my buddy traveling with us with the exact same trailer purchased at the same time with the same reinforced hangers has 4 of 6 hangers bent. From the same trip home. We are only halfway home.
Wow! What model and year TT?
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 08:44 AM   #75

I fixed it myself, never called jayco or the dealer.
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote