Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2021, 09:02 AM   #1

Connected to city water & Fresh tanks overfilling??

All,
I have searched the forum, but not found the solution to this one. I have a 2018 Octane T30-F. The grandkids are visiting for a few weeks, so we setup the camper for them to sleep in & use the restroom if the little ones could not make it to the house at night. Anyways, I connected the hose to the city water connection, put my pressure regulator (set @ 50 PSI) & filter in line, turned it on & once lines were pressurized (took about 5 sec.) we could not hear any water running at the hose bib. Ran the sink & toilet to ensure all working correctly, & went to bed thinking all ok. Woke up this morning & water all over the ground & it was coming out of the fresh tank fill cap & the fresh tank overflow lines. No water leaking inside (thank goodness). But I have never had this happen before. I would think water is bleeding over somewhere (bad check valve somewhere?) but do not know where to start looking. Any ideas what to check? As stated earlier, we have camped for an entire weekend, connected to city water, & not had this happen (filling of fresh water tanks / over flowing), before.
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:19 AM   #2

Its likely a bad check valve in your water pump. Do you have a valve that allows you to isolate the pump for the rest of the system? If so, close it and see if the overflow stops. If not, try running the pump a while and see if it frees the valve.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 04:15 PM   #3

Marcm157,
Thank you for the tips. I was able to mess with it this afternoon. I did cycle the pump a few times, & did find a cut-off valve a little way down a line. Some testing shows that the cutoff valve does isolate the pump. Have pump off, valve open & now will keep an eye on the overflow lines every few hrs.

If water starts leaking out fresh tank overflow lines again, I now know I need to change the pump. And if on the road, just close that semi hidden valve until I can change the pump.

Thank you again!!
Old 05-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #4

You are very welcome AZ!

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 05-23-2021, 04:40 AM   #5

I have the same problem with my Octane 273. Where is the pump and valve located? Thanks.
phoenixbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:59 AM   #6

My water pump is located under the bathroom sink. At the very bottom, front of the cabinet, there is a removable panel cover. Pump is behind that. The 1/4 turn valve was about 8" up the line from the pump.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:51 PM   #7

I have these two valves under my sink. Are they the check valves? Don’t see the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMarine View Post
My water pump is located under the bathroom sink. At the very bottom, front of the cabinet, there is a removable panel cover. Pump is behind that. The 1/4 turn valve was about 8" up the line from the pump.
Attached Thumbnails
315C8B28-5124-48FD-A822-03ACC1CF5C3D.jpg  
Old 05-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbound View Post
I have these two valves under my sink. Are they the check valves? Don’t see the pump.
Those look like low point drains. If you open them it will drain the remaining water from your lines.

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 05-23-2021, 09:00 PM   #9

Yes, those look like the low point drains. A simple way to find the pump is to:
1) Ensure you have some water in the fresh water tank. (so you do not burn up the pump in the next steps)
2) Turn on the pump switch.
3) Listen for where the pump is running.
4) If taking a little bit to find where it is, just turn on a faucet so the pump has to keep running.

Sounds dumb, but you will hear the pump running trying to build pressure, so that should help locate it. If you have a switch to isolate City water from the pump, it should be not far from the pump on one of the input water line to it.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:24 AM   #10

Update on my issue with this. I am now at a different RV park on city water and the fresh water tank is not overflowing. I'm thinking the previous park had higher water pressure causing it to bypass the check valve. I have ordered a inline pressure regulator for future use. I have one more park to stay at before we get home to test it again. And, I still need to locate my water pump and check valve.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:46 PM   #11
Site Team

The check valve is located in the head on the front of the water pump, once you locate it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #12

Final reply on this issue. I got some guidance from Jayco and located the water pump for my 2020 Octane 273. It is under the sink in kitchen. Pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
InkedWater pump3_LI.jpg   Water pump1.jpg  
Old 06-03-2021, 06:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbound View Post
Those are your low point drains. Your water pump is under the kitchen sink most likely as is mine.
2017 HD Street Glide Special
slippin_jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote