Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2021, 05:36 PM   #1

2020 F53 7.3L Throwing P2227 Baro Code

Here is a post I made on iATN for mechianics. I own a repair shop in Peachtree City, GA and was wondering if anyone here has run into this issue on the 2020 Ford F53 Chassis with the 7.3L V8.

"Customer purchased the RV in Kentucky and on the way back to Atlanta they had a check engine light come on but were already too far from the RV dealer. Called the dealer and was told to take to Ford when they could. Ford is booked 16 plus weeks out at this point.

Owner bought a code reader and found a P2227 Baro code. He cleared the codes and said the next time the light came on he got a P2227, P0171, P0174, and an evap code he cant remember but remembers it saying something about a gas cap (probably something his code reader told him to check i'm guessing). Cleared the codes again and when they dropped it off this morning at the shop the only code stored was the P2227.

The engine is the new Ford 7.3L V8 gas engine built on the old windsor platform. It has no baro or map sensor so im not quite sure how it calculates a baro value. After clearing the codes and letting it sit a couple hours I started it up to drive it home to see what it was doing on the road. On first start it was misfiring and backfired once or twice through the intake is what it sounded like. I cut it off then started it back up when I was ready to leave about 10 minutes later. Could tell there was a light misfire. I hooked back up my laptop with Forscan and watched live data on a few different pids. Baro at idle says 14.2 psi and until the code sets the baro fault says no fault. the Baro correction pid matches the baro pid unitl the fault happens. The misfire counter got up to 41 over the course of the time it idled and then the 30 minute drive home. On the drive I noticed at about 20% throttle value I could hear a whistle noise coming from under the engine cover in the floor. When it would wistle I could see the LTFTs shoot up from about 9 to 20-22. Baro fault changed to "yes fault" and the baro correction changed to around 11.8-12.4 psi.

I need to know how the BARO is calculated on this vehicle. Also if anyone can get me a diag flow chart for code P2227 for this engine that would help SOOOOOO much. Any help is ALWAYS appreciated. Either tomorrow or Tuesday I will smoke test the engine as I have a feeling the whistle noise i'm hearing is a vacuum leak somehwere or something is going on in the throttle body/intake."

I have found the spark plug wire issue and TSB about the baffle and cooling so will be checking that Tuesday. Will either get new wires from Ford or make my own upgraded wires for it. The P2227 Barometric Pressure Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance code just keeps coming back pretty much every second drive. Will be looking into vacuum leaks, clogged intake, and mass air flow sensor. Worst case would be looking at a replacement PCM if its even possible to get one right now given the current climate...

Let me know anything you guys can about this issue. THANKS!!
barberautocare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
Site Team

I can't help you on the specific code. But, I am going to forward this on to a friend of mine who may just be able to shed some light on this. No promises, but I will pass it on.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I can't help you on the specific code. But, I am going to forward this on to a friend of mine who may just be able to shed some light on this. No promises, but I will pass it on.
Awesome thank you very much!
barberautocare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by barberautocare View Post
Awesome thank you very much!
OK, my buddy Wayne just got back to me and here was his response. I hope this helps.

"I think he’s on a good path by finding out what that whistle is and why it’s causing a huge fuel trim correction. He’ll find it with the smoke machine. Those P017x codes are lean trim codes. My hunch is that something got hacked up during the conversion. Those sensors he can’t find are all probably integrated into the throttle body."
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:33 AM   #5

I'm thinking about this more from a chemist/physicist standpoint instead of a mechanic's, but here goes. If there is a vacuum leak, maybe that's the cause. Anyway, is it possible that there are 2 Baro sensors that just happen to be on each side of the leak? At idle or low to average load, there might not be a significant difference. But opening the throttle a bit sets the code because of the difference in baro pressure.

Thanks for listening to my rambling.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #6

7.3 Codes

Not sure if this is related or not. Unfortunately, we didn't have our code reader with us. Last weekend was our first run towing, and after a descent down a pass, the wrench light and traction control light came on and we were in a limp mode with significantly reduced power. Got it to a place where I could pull over, shut it down, checked things out - looked for my code reader, found nothing out of sorts, fired it up, lights gone, power back. Next hill, same problem, disconnected the new brake controller thinking that may have something to do with it, but no, did it again and now I didn't have trailer brakes either. Pulled off the road, googled a bit, saw something about removing the key on a class c forum (where there's some electric gremlin Ford doesn't have a solution for yet on the new 7.3). Tried that and we haven't had the problem since. I'll be sure we have the code reader with us for our next trip this weekend.
smrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barberautocare View Post
Here is a post I made on iATN for mechianics. I own a repair shop in Peachtree City, GA and was wondering if anyone here has run into this issue on the 2020 Ford F53 Chassis with the 7.3L V8.

"Customer purchased the RV in Kentucky and on the way back to Atlanta they had a check engine light come on but were already too far from the RV dealer. Called the dealer and was told to take to Ford when they could. Ford is booked 16 plus weeks out at this point.

Owner bought a code reader and found a P2227 Baro code. He cleared the codes and said the next time the light came on he got a P2227, P0171, P0174, and an evap code he cant remember but remembers it saying something about a gas cap (probably something his code reader told him to check i'm guessing). Cleared the codes again and when they dropped it off this morning at the shop the only code stored was the P2227.

The engine is the new Ford 7.3L V8 gas engine built on the old windsor platform. It has no baro or map sensor so im not quite sure how it calculates a baro value. After clearing the codes and letting it sit a couple hours I started it up to drive it home to see what it was doing on the road. On first start it was misfiring and backfired once or twice through the intake is what it sounded like. I cut it off then started it back up when I was ready to leave about 10 minutes later. Could tell there was a light misfire. I hooked back up my laptop with Forscan and watched live data on a few different pids. Baro at idle says 14.2 psi and until the code sets the baro fault says no fault. the Baro correction pid matches the baro pid unitl the fault happens. The misfire counter got up to 41 over the course of the time it idled and then the 30 minute drive home. On the drive I noticed at about 20% throttle value I could hear a whistle noise coming from under the engine cover in the floor. When it would wistle I could see the LTFTs shoot up from about 9 to 20-22. Baro fault changed to "yes fault" and the baro correction changed to around 11.8-12.4 psi.

I need to know how the BARO is calculated on this vehicle. Also if anyone can get me a diag flow chart for code P2227 for this engine that would help SOOOOOO much. Any help is ALWAYS appreciated. Either tomorrow or Tuesday I will smoke test the engine as I have a feeling the whistle noise i'm hearing is a vacuum leak somehwere or something is going on in the throttle body/intake."

I have found the spark plug wire issue and TSB about the baffle and cooling so will be checking that Tuesday. Will either get new wires from Ford or make my own upgraded wires for it. The P2227 Barometric Pressure Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance code just keeps coming back pretty much every second drive. Will be looking into vacuum leaks, clogged intake, and mass air flow sensor. Worst case would be looking at a replacement PCM if its even possible to get one right now given the current climate...

Let me know anything you guys can about this issue. THANKS!!
I work at a Ford dealer, I'll ask some of my techs or check Ford's website for ya. BRB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #8

My shop foreman looked on Ford's site and he says baro should be shared with the MAF sensor. I can get you a flow chart tomorrow. The site mentioned DTC P2227.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:44 AM   #9

Have not seen this tech today.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:16 PM   #10

Has this problem been fixed? I have a 21 f250 with the same code.
Syro is offline   Reply With Quote